• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Famous Crimes #2

14 posts in this topic

Famous Crimes #2

This book is currently in a PGX holder. I'd like to know how you think CGC would grade it. If you want to guess at the PGX grade also, that's fine.

The horizontal mark at the bottom of the cover, going across the woman's fingers, is just a scuff mark on the case. The vertical one under the flowers is a color break on the book.

The mark on the "M" in crime is also a scuff mark on the case.

FamousCrimes2_zps89ca1c0c.jpg

FamousCrimes2back_zpsf17054cc.jpg

The PGX grade on this one is 7.5.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a CGC grade came back the same. I recently bought a slabbed Fox crime book, that I probably would have called a 6.5 in the raw, that CGC gave a 7.5 to. That Famous Crimes looks like it is the same territory, maybe a hair nicer.

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if a CGC grade came back the same. I recently bought a slabbed Fox crime book, that I probably would have called a 6.5 in the raw, that CGC gave a 7.5 to. That Famous Crimes looks like it is the same territory, maybe a hair nicer.

Congrats. on the 7.5. What Fox book was it?

Not sure if congratulations are in order, as I'd rather it looked more like a no arguments 7.5, but the price was right either way. It looks sharper in the photo, and the biggest flaw is a 1 & 1/2" crease on the back cover, which is the kind of flaw i can easily live with.

P8280187_zps5cc1e908.jpg

Not sure if congratulations are in order, as I'd rather it looked more like a no arguments 7.5, but the price was right either way. It looks sharper in the photo, and the biggest flaw is a 1 & 1/2" crease on the back cover, which is the kind of flaw i can easily live with.

P8280187_zps5cc1e908.jpg

Looks like a bright, clean copy to me. Great book. :applause:

I looked at again, and might have been a little tough on it at first, in addition to the back cover crease ( actually more like 2"), it has a small chip out of the bottom of the spine, along with the usual edge abrasion found on squarebounds, a microcrease at the top right, and a quarter inch crease at bottom right, along with a small dust shadow at the bottom (somewhat obscure by the flash in the photo). It also has some spine puckering, but that's normal for squarebounds, and generally not considered much in the grade from what I can tell.

It is a sweet copy, and I frequently look at comics, particularly mid-grade Golden Age, in terms of grade range more than a finite grade when considering what they are worth to me. Examples: Nicer than VG but less than FN, Around FN, and Nicer than FN but less than VF. While one copy in a range can still be nicer than another, that can be true of two copies given the same exact grade, and while I'm still capable of a more exacting opinion, I find mid-grades to be the toughest for people to find agreement on, as it often comes down to what flaws are the most bothersome to the individual.