• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

More Seduction of the Innocent, this time with Parade of Pleasure!

29 posts in this topic

Four books tonight. Three copies of the book that almost killed the comic industry, Seduction of the Innocent, by Dr. Fredric Wertham. Plus one that's by far much tougher to find: a copy of Parade of Pleasure by Geoffrey Wagner.

The usual rules: no HOS or probies. Payment via check, MO or Paypal. "Take it" in thread trumps all.

Fully insured shipping in the United States is included. Save a few bucks with local pickup in Hartford, CT or Springfield, MA. Shipping outside the US is no problem, but it's typically very pricey because I only ship these fully insured. Expect about $30 and up for shipping outside the U.S.

I typically make it to the Post Office only once a week, so if you're in a rush this might not be the deal for you.

Questions? Just drop me a line.

Seduction of the Innocent, first print from 1954. No dust jacket, no bibliography. As you probably know, the bibliography was removed from most copies of this book prior to distribution. This does not have the bibliography, but I'll include a copy of the bibliography for your convenience.

This copy is solid but has seeen quite a bit of wear. Soiling and scuffing on the cover and edges. Inside the FC, the number 25 was written in orange (marker? crayon?). Since it's orange on an orange background, you can only see it when the light is at the correct angle. There is a pencil mark on the first page of chapter 1 that could probably be mostly erased.

All 16 pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present, and there is no writing or highlighting other than what's noted.

$105.

SOTI_003_01a_zps21ef3fd2.jpg

SOTI_003_02_zps89993b45.jpg

SOTI_003_03_zps230b59a5.jpg

SOTI_003_04_zps5d4b4810.jpg

SOTI_003_05_zpsed87c00d.jpg

SOTI_003_06_zpsbf3b89cb.jpg

SOTI_003_07_zps111079d8.jpg

SOTI_003_08_zpsf32d71c6.jpg

SOTI_003_09_zps4576798a.jpg

Seduction of the Innocent, second print from 1954/55-ish. No dust jacket or bibliography. Photocopied bibliography included. This is a very sharp looking and solid copy. The rear hinge has a split, as seen in the photos, but the book is still quite solid. No markings at all. All 16 pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present. $125 $115

SOTI_002_01_zps39a3307a.jpg

SOTI_002_02_zps258a0c02.jpg

SOTI_002_03_zps3d4f10fc.jpg

SOTI_002_04_zpsad4db1eb.jpg

SOTI_002_05_zps48e6c16f.jpg

SOTI_003_01_zpsb0d272fc.jpg

Seduction of the Innocent, first print from 1954. No bibliography, but a particularly nice dust jacket. Take note of the red lettering on the spine, which is only slightly faded. Most copies of the dust jacket I've seen have significant fading of the red text on the spine. The DJ has a couple tears and some foxing, as seen in the pics. Sharp, unmarked copy. All 16 illustration pages (8 leaves) are present. Photocopied bibliography included.

$250.

SOTI_001_01_DJ_zps0586a10f.jpg

SOTI_001_02_DJ_zps8b9a2b47.jpg

SOTI_001_03_zps2b16f927.jpg

SOTI_001_04_zpsc1b2a24c.jpg

SOTI_001_05_zps146043a5.jpg

SOTI_001_06_zps7f210c1e.jpg

Far scarcer than Seduction of the Innocent is Parade of Pleasure, by Geoffrey Wagner. This book criticizes not just comic books, but movies, pin-up magazines, and sleazy paperbacks. This book is rarely offered for sale. POP was reprinted a few years ago by Pure Imagination, so if you just want to read the text you might want to pick up that softcover "reprint". I put "reprint" in quotes because that edition it so different from the original one. The new printing omits all of the photo illustrations from the original edition, and adds a whole new set of illustrations. It appears that the new printing was created using OCR software that wasn't very good, because it's rife with errors that basic proofreading would have and should have caught.

If you want the edition with a photo of Marilyn Monroe as well as these great comic book illustrations, then this is the one you need.

Some paper loss and tears, plus a sticker on the DJ. Tape stains from an old mylar book cover on the book's outer covers and first interior pages.

$595. $550

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_01_zpsbd382b6e.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_02_zps7778273b.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_03_zpsbf91a0b7.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_04_zps30f52b05.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_05_zps159e755f.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_06_zps477bcca9.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_07_zps808a5393.jpg

Parade_of_Pleasure_01_08_zps616b4dee.jpg

I've never even SEEN a PoP!

Beautiful! :applause:

there is one for $1000 on ebay.....

;)

Nice as always stephen

Thanks, Thor.

Yes, I saw that copy of Parade of Pleasure on eBay, which was $1200 and then dropped to $850. It's been there ever since the seller with some questionable ethics cancelled two sales to me. I first bought that copy from the seller at his asking price: a whopping six dollars. That caused the seller to have some seller's remorse. I guess he looked it up after the sale and found that it was worth more than six bucks. So he cancelled my sale and refunded my money, saying that the item was "out of stock." Immediately after that, he listed the book again, this time for $60. I once again bought the book and paid for it. The seller once again cancelled the sale and lied to me, saying that the book was "out of stock." Ever since then (February, 2013), the book has been listed on numerous online sites, typically at $1200 but occasionally going on sale for less.

The seller has added one new feature to his listing: he plagiarized one of my prior listings for this book (including condition description) in his eBay listing. I'm searching for the original listing I wrote so I can report to eBay that his listing is plagiarized. Not that it'll do any good, but the thought of this guy potentially making a sale based on something I wrote is rather infuriating.

It is a nice book he's offering, and at $850 he's approaching a decent price for it. But it's a seller who'll never again get a penny of my money.

Via PM there was a question about publication dates for the two editions of POP. Inside the UK edition, the publication date is listed as 1954. Inside the US edition, offered here, the publication date is listed as 1955. It's the exact opposite of SOTI: the first US edition of SOTI was 1954, while its UK counterpart was 1955.

Seduction of the Innocent, first print from 1954. No dust jacket, no bibliography. As you probably know, the bibliography was removed from most copies of this book prior to distribution. This does not have the bibliography, but I'll include a copy of the bibliography for your convenience.

This copy is solid but has seeen quite a bit of wear. Soiling and scuffing on the cover and edges. Inside the FC, the number 25 was written in orange (marker? crayon?). Since it's orange on an orange background, you can only see it when the light is at the correct angle. There is a pencil mark on the first page of chapter 1 that could probably be mostly erased.

All 16 pages (8 leaves) of illustrations are present, and there is no writing or highlighting other than what's noted.

$105.

SOTI_003_01a_zps21ef3fd2.jpg

SOTI_003_02_zps89993b45.jpg

SOTI_003_03_zps230b59a5.jpg

SOTI_003_04_zps5d4b4810.jpg

SOTI_003_05_zpsed87c00d.jpg

SOTI_003_06_zpsbf3b89cb.jpg

SOTI_003_07_zps111079d8.jpg

SOTI_003_08_zpsf32d71c6.jpg

SOTI_003_09_zps4576798a.jpg

:takeit:

What, no Seduction of the Innocent Revisited? That is one off the worst books about comics ever written. (I own it, but I'm not happy about it.) :-)

Yup. I have a copy as well in my collection, and Seduction of the Innocent Revisited is a pretty pathetic book. If memory serves, it's written by a guy who used to collect or sell comics, and then at some point he decided that pretty much everything in comic books goes against the Bible, so he put out this book explaining why comic books were evil. Wertham's credentials as a psychiatrist were outstanding, and as a result people listened to him when he said that comics were harmful to kids. The clown who wrote Seduction of the Innocent Revisited, however, had no credentials other than the facts that he had read some comic books and he had read the Bible. Well, portions of the Bible, anyway.

For anybody who is extremely curious, the book can easily be found for under ten bucks. At that price, it's still overpriced.

What, no Seduction of the Innocent Revisited? That is one off the worst books about comics ever written. (I own it, but I'm not happy about it.) :-)

Yup. I have a copy as well in my collection, and Seduction of the Innocent Revisited is a pretty pathetic book. If memory serves, it's written by a guy who used to collect or sell comics, and then at some point he decided that pretty much everything in comic books goes against the Bible, so he put out this book explaining why comic books were evil. Wertham's credentials as a psychiatrist were outstanding, and as a result people listened to him when he said that comics were harmful to kids. The clown who wrote Seduction of the Innocent Revisited, however, had no credentials other than the facts that he had read some comic books and head read the Bible. Well, portions of the Bible, anyway.

For anybody who is extremely curious, the book can easily be found for under ten bucks. At that price, it's still overpriced.

You're pretty much right on the money. John Fulce owned a comic store, saw all the bad that there was in the industry, and wanted it to be exactly like how it was in his childhood -- good vs. evil, no sex, no graphic violence, etc. He eventually became a pastor, and, well, the rest is history.

You can pretty much sum up his book with the phrase: "Kids these days!" It was nothing new, and amazingly poorly researched.