• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bigger SA Key: Sgt. Fury 1 or Daredevil 1?

Bigger SA Key: Sgt. Fury 1 or Daredevil 1?  

372 members have voted

1. 1. Bigger SA Key: Sgt. Fury 1 or Daredevil 1?

50 posts in this topic

That's a tough question to answer because on one hand, SgtFury #1 is harder to find. On another, DD #1 is more sought after. So in order to answer this question correctly, you would need to define what you mean by "bigger SA key."

Key in terms of what? Popularity? Current Price? Rarity? Long Term Value?

That's a tough question to answer because on one hand, SgtFury #1 is harder to find. On another, DD #1 is more sought after. So in order to answer this question correctly, you would need to define what you mean by "bigger SA key."

Key in terms of what? Popularity? Current Price? Rarity? Long Term Value?

Also could be viewed by which character is more relevant in the Marvel universe. Fury is arguably integral to more storylines but DD was played by Ben Affleck. So he's got that going for him.

There's no doubt that Daredevil would easily win this contest if this was a popularity poll. That being said, I'm not sure which of the two books is currently the bigger key especially since Fury has gained newfound popularity and his first issue appears to be selling for more than DD's at grades 7.0 and higher. Looks like DD 1 is the bigger key per the majority of boardies participating in this poll. It would be interesting to see the opinions/basis for this. Both books are great nevertheless.

There's no doubt that Daredevil would easily win this contest if this was a popularity poll. That being said, I'm not sure which of the two books is currently the bigger key especially since Fury has gained newfound popularity and his first issue appears to be selling for more than DD's at grades 7.0 and higher. Looks like DD 1 is the bigger key per the majority of boardies participating in this poll. It would be interesting to see the opinions/basis for this. Both books are great nevertheless.

Even now, Fury is a character that appears in other people's stories more than he carries his own stories. He's an important cog, but he's a cog, not the star.

There was no Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid, Kevin Smith, Ann Nocenti, Gene Colan, Joe Quesada, etc. run of Nick Fury. There was the Steranko run 40+ years ago and that's basically it.

Even now, Fury is a character that appears in other people's stories more than he carries his own stories. He's an important cog, but he's a cog, not the star.

There was no Frank Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, Ed Brubaker, Mark Waid, Kevin Smith, Ann Nocenti, Gene Colan, Joe Quesada, etc. run of Nick Fury. There was the Steranko run 40+ years ago and that's basically it.

I have to agree...I'd be shocked if there was a Nick Fury solo movie made by Marvel where as Daredevil will show up again, one way or the other.

Exactly! There have been no significant runs or storylines for Nick Fury with the exception of the Sgt. Fury run, the Steranko Nick Fury run and within Strange Tales long ago.

Daredevil still has his title even today and does cross apperances through other titles since the 1960's.

In the movies / TV show, Fury is more of a supporting character rather than the star character, where Daredevil headlined his own movie as the sole star.

In regards to value, there are more copies of Daredevil #1 that would normally allow for lesser potential. However, with the demand for the character being higher than Fury, the greater supply will meet the higher demand.

Also, there are different variations of Fury from being the war sergeant, spy, and an older Caucasian gentleman, to an African American gentleman. It is hard to keep up with this character, which can confuse the general population when looking for his first appearance.

Daredevil has pretty much remained constant in uniform, etc since the 1960’s, so he would be easier to relate to the general population.

I have to agree...I'd be shocked if there was a Nick Fury solo movie made by Marvel where as Daredevil will show up again, one way or the other.

There was a Nick Fury movie that was released in 1998. David Hasselhoff played Fury. It was garbage.

l_nick-fury-david-hasselhoff-lisa-rinna-dvd-marvel-comics-2913.jpg

I'm going with DD 1 however the harder book to find is sgt fury 1. Both are pretty scarce to find either way though. Another poster hit the nail on the head though sgt fury doesn't have the appeal anymore because his character keeps being changed.

White "Sgt." Fury, Black "Nick" Fury

Yellow Daredevil, Red Daredevil

Both characters have changed their appearance over the years. I think that DD1 is much easier to find then SgtFury1, but there is no doubt that DareDevil is the more 'popular' standalone superhero.

Both characters have changed their appearance over the years. I think that DD1 is much easier to find then SgtFury1, but there is no doubt that DareDevil is the more 'popular' standalone superhero.

Yellow and red dardevil are still the same person pretty much the black nick fury is a new guy all around with the same name. Nick fury to me was a former soldier who became a James bond type and now is more like a general and is an olde black character.

The costume Daredevil wore for 6 issues is a little different than difference between the Ultimate/movie Nick Fury versus the 616 Nick Fury.The movie/Ultimate fury is a reboot. The red costume was a very early change of laundry.

Fury manages to change with the times. Perhaps that's why he's managed to stick around. I like what rob_react said about Fury being a cog. Daredevil has historically been the more popular of the two but is DD 1 an overall bigger key if it is historically more significant and currently less valuable than Sgt. Fury 1? We have seen this situation in the BA where GL 76 is ranked higher than GS X-Men 1 in terms of current FMV but the X-Men have been more historically significant to comics (and consistently more popular) since the summer of '75. Could we have this type of scenario among these two SA keys? Let me stress that both books are classic SA keys and must haves.

Fury manages to change with the times. Perhaps that's why he's managed to stick around. I like what rob_react said about Fury being a cog. Daredevil has been historically the more popular of the two but is DD 1 a overall bigger key if it is historically more significant and currently less valuable than Sgt. Fury 1? We have seen this situation in the BA where GL 76 is ranked higher than GS X-Men 1 in terms of current FMV but the X-Men have been more historically significant to comics (and consistently more popular) since the summer of '75. Could we have this type of scenario among these two SA keys? Let me stress that both books are classic SA keys and must haves.

I think that's a close analogy. Sgt. Fury #1 is a much tougher book and sells for more in 9.4 than DD #1 sells in 9.6. It's also got 1/6th the census population.