• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC comic continuity question

28 posts in this topic

As a lifelong reader/fan of DC, I catch myself relying on the Timm animated series when thinking on their "Universe". Kinda weird, but It spares me an aneurysm and the "who's who" of it all is infinitely more enjoyable.

It's much simpler and i agree more enjoyable...i do enjoy the Elseworlds though

As a lifelong reader/fan of DC, I catch myself relying on the Timm animated series when thinking on their "Universe". Kinda weird, but It spares me an aneurysm and the "who's who" of it all is infinitely more enjoyable.

It's much simpler and i agree more enjoyable...i do enjoy the Elseworlds though

I do too. Elseworlds, if well written, are really interesting.

I think the trick to enjoying DC is to consider their all works as distinct 'universes', and DC's got a gazillion of 'em. Comic universes, animated universes, game universes, Donnerverse, Elsewheres, Smallville, Arrow, and on and on.

Good writing will clue you in when necessary, lets a tale unfold. So DC works best, lives or dies, on good writing.

When (not if) you hit some DC uninspired phoned-in gobbledygook, you know it fairly quick.

Check the wikipedia on Hippolyta. She's been reconned, 'phased out', killed off, brought back and revamped well beyond ridiculousness. This is what I meant by DC gobbledygook.

Best to just enjoy DC tales with whatever backstory is dished up, as it's presented. Otherwise you're flirting with cerebral quicksand.