• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A weekend in Phoenix

11 posts in this topic

Or...I need to get away

up through 2009 I used to run away from the cold & the grey and hide in Phoenix for President's Day weekend; visiting friends, going to the Renaissance Faire; having lunch at Chompies and hanging out in Tempe & Scottsdale.

I forgot how much I missed it, I'm looking forward to next weekend; but by closest friends have moved away - and their friends aren't really my friends...so what to do with my time?

Is there a comic shop in the area anyone would suggest? I doubt I'll be able to convince my wife to make a long stop - but if I could drive by on 'accident' I might have to stop and see.

If nothing else - at least my fingers will finally get warm.

Happy Hunting

Lee K

(No, I don't own this comic - it's just an image I swiped, if it is yours, I thank you for the loan; on the other hand - I'd love to own a copy one day, it is one of my favorites)

15116.jpg

See more journals by Lee K

I prefer 2 shops:

Drawn to Comics in Glendale

and

All About Comics in Phoenix.

All About has the biggest selection I have seen, lots and lots of back issues. On Central and Camelback.

Also heard other shops are great but I havent been to those so I can't speak on it. I've been to both of these however.

If you with the wife, I'd say Drawn To, there are Antique shops nearby and it's in the middle of Downtown Glendale. So while your antiquing, you can "accidentally" find the store....

Yes, be safe and get warmed up! :)

I've never been farther west than about halfway through Texas, so I can't help with the LCS locations there, but they must exist since there is Comic Con there every year.

Theres 2 major ones here every year, we're coming up in the world. Amazing AZ CC in January, Phoenix CC in June.

Hey Lee! This is a great time to visit, the weather here has been amazing. It might be a little out of your way, but I've been going to Greg's Comics in Mesa since I moved to AZ from CA 20 years ago. The owner is a great down to earth guy and always gives a 20% discount on most items. While you can peruse the store for Copper-Modern back issues, the good stuff is in the back...just let Howard know what you're looking for and he can grab it for you (but don't touch my Silver Age Caps...I'm trying to pick those up little by little, ha ha).

PM me if you decide to go and I'll try to swing by and say hi. Would be cool to meet you here and then see you again in Seattle for ECCC next month. (thumbs u

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=csl_store&id=115218

Review with pics:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2009/04/19/my-comic-book-shoppe-gregs-comics/

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

If you're going to be in Tempe, check out Ash Ave Comics and Pop Culture Paradise - both are within walking distance from Mill.

Pop Culture Paradise has friendly and helpful staff:

http://www.popculture-comics.com/

Ash Ave Comics has one of the best selections of alternative comics that I've seen anywhere:

http://ashavecomics.com/

There's nothing in Scottsdale anymore :(

Mesa has a few good stores, Samurai Comics (in the old Atomic Comics location) and Gotham City Comics in downtown Mesa.

If you can make it out to downtown Phoenix, I 2nd the recommendation for All About Books and Comics. The light rail from Tempe will get you within a couple blocks of their store.

If you can make it to the West Side - check out Jesse James Comics, he always has a box full of hidden treasure and is very friendly:

http://www.jessejamescomics.com/site/

Greg's comics always is a place I stop at. All about comics has a ton of books. Greg's is my first pick though.

I've been to Greg's. It's nice and staff is very helpful. I just happen to live on the other side of the valley. Greg's is too far of a drive, I stop in when I'm in the area. Got hooked up on some SA WW there. Great books, with an awesome deal.

Greg's comics always is a place I stop at. All about comics has a ton of books. Greg's is my first pick though.

I've been to Greg's. It's nice and staff is very helpful. I just happen to live on the other side of the valley. Greg's is too far of a drive, I stop in when I'm in the area. Got hooked up on some SA WW there. Great books, with an awesome deal.

Always great deals at Greg's. To far ? I drive all the way from showlow. But I travel to the area often.