• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Vault of Horrror #30 Cover Artwork....Price: 35k! Cheap!

11 posts in this topic

So guys, I have been lurking for a little while now on the Archangels site...very beautiful stuff, though they're hardly giving their merchandise away.

Check this one out, though. It'll blow your mind. Anybody got 35k to plunk down for this beauty???

http://archangels.com/db_detail.php?id=1333

Holy [#@$%!!!]

Somehow I missed that one. Thanks for pointing it out. Hands down, these guys have got the coolest selection of original art online. Too bad you'd have to start doing government-contract assasinations to afford them!

You know who else has an absolutely jaw-dropping collection of gold and silver original art online - Metropolis. Not for sale (not that I could afford it anyway!), I guess it's his personal collection, but it's a blast to page through.

http://www.metropoliscomics.com/gallery1.html

Some astounding golden age pieces there, including covers for Detective Comics #28, 30, and 60, All Star #50 and 52, Flash Comics #27, World's Finest #33, that absolutely gorgeous Superman #16 cover (!!!); and numerous other golden age covers; plus literally dozens and dozens of Silver Age covers.

Stuff like this is a textbook example of what's great about the net... when I was getting into collecting 15 years ago, I never would have thought that some of the golden age original art out there like this (and some stuff I've seen on heritage,etc) was still in existance. It really makes you wonder what's still out there in long-term private collections.

Oh my lord. The original cover art to Detective Comics #28 and #30.

Detective 28

Detective 30

I mean, published copies of those comics are very, very difficult to find. Much less the original artwork. I'm having trouble breathing.

Those are amazing!

Oh my lord. The original cover art to Detective Comics #28 and #30.

Detective 28

Detective 30

I mean, published copies of those comics are very, very difficult to find. Much less the original artwork. I'm having trouble breathing.

It makes you wonder, did the same source these came from have the #27 and #29 also and not sell them, or perhaps sell them to another buyer? I'd be very curious to know how many and which of these early Detective covers are known to exist.

The cover artist for the Batman covers (Bob Kane) is different from the artist for the non-Batman covers. Since that's the case, I doubt the covers to #27-#30 were ever in a set together.

I wonder whether any pre-Batman Detective cover artwork still exists.

The cover artist for the Batman covers (Bob Kane) is different from the artist for the non-Batman covers. Since that's the case, I doubt the covers to #27-#30 were ever in a set together.

Right, I wasn't thinking of it that way. Good point.

Still, since I presume art returns were not the norm at that time, they could have originally been in the hands of a DC staffer or something, though. I had thought I vaguely remembered a story about the Action #1 cover art (or was it the cover proof?) surfacing a few years ago and it turned out a DC employee had saved it out of a trash can and taken it home, but I can't seem to turn up anything googling so maybe I am misremembering.

But you're right, either way it may be likely that the #27 and #29 were in different hands than the #28 and #30 many decades ago, if they do still exist.