• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Victora Von Doom? FF Reboot News

82 posts in this topic

I'm not a fan of this or the news that the Human Torch might be African American.

Why? Because Fox.

This is their attempt at making the characters more interesting.

No, it's because the director is friends with Michael B. Jordan.

The quicker the Fantastic Four go back to Marvel/Disney the better.

Unfortunately, much like the X-Men and Spider-Man franchises I don't see that happening any time soon, if ever. :(

If Fox starts losing money on the films and comes to believe that popular idea about the characters now being dated, it will happen.

To Disney/Marvel who would then inevitably turn the franchise around and make Fox look like the worst studio ever? I'm not so sure.

Hollywood has less tolerance for losing money than hunger to foster competitive grudges with other studios. The only real data we have for now is how profitable the first two films were. Usually only the studios know that, but the numbers look to me as if they were decently profitable. If the new ones are as well--even just minimally profitable--Fox will probably keep clinging on.

But yea, for the rights to go to Marvel, Fox will have to create at least one stinker, probably two. That's how Marvel got the Daredevil rights back, although I enjoyed the 2003 movie myself.

I'm not a fan of this or the news that the Human Torch might be African American.

Why? Because Fox.

He's right though, Fox wouldn't let him do it if they weren't keen on the idea of modernizing the story.

I think we'd have to see at least a couple of John Carter level bombs for that to happen. I just don't see how that's possible in the foreseeable future with the current success of highly marketed super hero movies.

I don't see a situation where Disney agrees to purchase the property. For all Disney cares, they can develop C-list properties to great success without the overhead of purchasing the FF rights. The contract would have to lapse for Disney to get their hands on it.

I hope you're right though. I do not want to see the Sub-Mariner depicted as a sentient tsunami.

Why? Because Fox.

He's right though, Fox wouldn't let him do it if they weren't keen on the idea of modernizing the story.

Like I said in the thread about making the human torch black.

If you really want to make things current, and have the movie reflect the face of America today, then you need to make at least two of the characters Mexican, with at least one of them being in the country illegally.

I would really like to see the characters appear in the movie as they have in the comic for over 50 years now.

If you feel compelled to make some kind of multicultural PC rainbow lovefest, fine, just don't call it The Fantastic Four.

Why? Because Fox.

If you really want to make things current, and have the movie reflect the face of America today, then you need to make at least two of the characters Mexican, with at least one of them being in the country illegally.

I would really like to see the characters appear in the movie as they have in the comic for over 50 years now.

If you feel compelled to make some kind of multicultural PC rainbow lovefest, fine, just don't call it The Fantastic Four.

Your agenda is ridiculous and you're completely missing the likely motivation of the studio.

I think we'd have to see at least a couple of John Carter level bombs for that to happen. I just don't see how that's possible in the foreseeable future with the current success of highly marketed super hero movies.

Daredevil is a much better touchstone since Fox is also the same company who let his rights revert back to Marvel. It looks to me as if that movie was probably profitable as well, but not by much if at all, yet even a borderline-profitable film scared them off of creating a new film within ten years' time. They had been planning a third FF film and a Silver Surfer spinoff, but mediocre results on the second film caused them to cancel all of those plans. If they actually lose almost any amount of money on a reboot, it's eminently possible they'll pull the plug.

Does anyone know how often Fox has to make a Fantastic Four film to keep the rights? That's the truly sucky part...if the reboot bombs and it's a decade, Fox sitting on the rights until 2025 is going to be awful. :mad: The negotiated time period is different for each character. I suppose since the second film came out in 2007 and the new one is due in 2015, it looks like it's probably a decade. :(

Why? Because Fox.

Your agenda is ridiculous and you're completely missing the likely motivation of the studio.

What is my agenda?

What is the motivation of the studio?

How do you know these things?

Where can I buy an all seeing crystal ball?

catfight.jpg

Daredevil is a much better touchstone since Fox is also the same company who let his rights revert back to Marvel. It looks to me as if that movie was probably profitable as well, but not by much if at all, yet even a borderline-profitable film scared them off of creating a new film within ten years' time. They had been planning a third FF film and a Silver Surfer spinoff, but mediocre results on the second film caused them to cancel all of those plans. If they actually lose almost any amount of money on a reboot, it's eminently possible they'll pull the plug.

Does anyone know how often Fox has to make a Fantastic Four film to keep the rights? That's the truly sucky part...if the reboot bombs and it's a decade, Fox sitting on the rights until 2025 is going to be awful. :mad: The negotiated time period is different for each character. I suppose since the second film came out in 2007 and the new one is due in 2015, it looks like it's probably a decade. :(

Daredevil was nowhere near the success of either FF movie. Those were both hugely successful films despite the poor reviews. So even one or two bombs won't erase the FF brand Fox believes they've already established.

A couple things to consider. Fox is already mentioning that the FF and the X-Men as being in a shared universe. That means an inevitable FF/X-Men movie of sorts that I believe would work to extend to film rights ownership to Fox. I don't see that losing money.

The film rights have to be set at a 10 year expire given the original purchase by Constain and their rush to produce the Croman directed film. 10 years is an awfully long time to reboot a franchise and help cleanse the bad taste set by previous films.

I would say that Doom is one of the dumbest characters to try to switch genders on, particularly given how iconic he is and how iconic another mega-famous character who he inspired became:

rotj052.jpg

Out of all the movie franchises The Fantastic Four is dangerously coming close to obsolete. Fox is going in a thousand different directions with the hope of making this version interesting to the current generation.

Sad part is the original team construct, characters, and origin would work really well if they just had good, creative people at the helm. This is the one property I wish Marvel studios had control again of more than any other...

It does feel that way. Three movies (including one not released because it was never meant to be) that focused on such a great comic team. And yet the creative team associated with the movie can't figure out how to do it right.

"Rise of the Silver Surfer" had me so excited to see this done right. They nailed the look of the Silver Surfer. But the storyline was just horrible.

The story line could have been great for that movie and Alba's dumb blonde wig would have ruined it for me. :makepoint:

img01.jpg

Out of all the movie franchises The Fantastic Four is dangerously coming close to obsolete. Fox is going in a thousand different directions with the hope of making this version interesting to the current generation.

Sad part is the original team construct, characters, and origin would work really well if they just had good, creative people at the helm. This is the one property I wish Marvel studios had control again of more than any other...

Leaving a gender change for Doom out of the equation, the original FF is among the hardest superhero concepts to transfer to the modern age. They took the rocket trip as part of the cold war space race - ancient history now; they got their powers from cosmic rays - who is going to swallow that in 2014?; their powers and personalities don't translate well to the big screen, or at least Reed's. I don't think folks relate to the egghead scientist like they do to electronics whiz Tony Stark, and a guy whose power is stretching just looks kind of silly.

Don't get me wrong; I love SA FF dearly but think they need to be updated a bit for the movies. Though I don't know if making Doom female is the right road. The 2 Fox movies are unwatchable to me. First thing they need to do to improve the franchise is to make a film that plays it relatively straight without all the goofiness.