• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing sketches

7 posts in this topic

Wish I could draw

This won't be a long journal. I just felt I had to share these sketches. The owner of my favorite LCS in Va Beach, Comic Kings, sketched these himself. He attended some cons and had them signed by their likenesses. I think these are amazing. I've asked him if he'd do a sketch opp for the boards. But he has declined for now. Hopefully it will happen.

15129.jpeg

See more journals by meshuggah

Drawing, illustrating or sketching is a lot easier than you think.

When it comes to it, you have to think of every illustration as a composition of several graphics or shapes. In other words, all illustrations, are a composition of basic geometrical shapes (circles, squares, rectangles, arcs, cylinders, triangles, etc) modified with detail. Heads are oval like an egg, as are eyes, pupils and irises are circles, foreheads are rectangular, jaws are squared, ears are vertical arcs, noses are cylindrical stems with a rounded base, nostrils are like a sole/pad of a dog's paw, etc. Bodies can also be broken down into geometrical shapes as well. Same thing can be done for most solid objects. They are all geometrical shapes (after all, Mathematics is the Language of our Physical Universe). One book that provides a clear and easy explanation of all this is How to Draw the Marvel Way. Pick it up... It was my first art book and I swear by it.

The other trick I learned to do was hold the pencil or drawing instruments properly, in a relaxed manner and to get your drawing hand to move said instrument in a relaxed and free manner over paper or surface you are drawing on. One way to practice this is by tracing. Use a semi transparent sheet of paper over the cover of a magazine or comic (hopefully something you do not intend to grade), and practice moving your hand like your are gliding in a smooth and relaxed manner, tracing the image underneath. It takes practice to get the precision of a near perfect trace.

After this, practice drawing geometrical shapes without tracing. Get used to straight lines and circles. Understand how your hand moves to form the shapes. Understand the linear and circular motions needed to create these shapes. Do it over and over again until it becomes so easy.

Make a straight line near perfect straight. Make a complete circle without the need to lift the pencil from the paper. Gain an intimate and profound understanding of how your fingers, wrist, forearm, eyes, and your mind all work together to form such shapes.

But that's just the icing on the cake.

However, with anything else, it takes time, practice, dedication, and patience... It's a craft.

Just an FYI: the reason I gave myself the "nick" "Screenwriter" was when I worked on a very low budget film providing storyboard art. This was my first encounter with a shooting -script or screenplay. And my job was to visually translate the shots for the Director to Frame Each Shot by breaking down the story, panel by panel, sequentially, much like a comic book artist does . It was here I got the writing bug because my "ego" said, "Wow, this -script is bad... I could write better than this... and a light bulb went off... and suddenly I ditched art in favor of writing an "Oscar Winner!"

Well, you know how that story turned out. I'm a bum dispensing advice on a comic book forum. :)

Anyway... give it a shot. Drawing is so very rewarding... and how can any comic book lover not want to draw like their favorite cartoonists? Me... I copied the styles of Frazetta, Adams, Kaluta, Byrne, rounded out with a lot of Rudy Nebres (his shading and etching are my favorite).

Seriously... I am thinking of getting one of those blank covers and doing my own sketch.

SW3D

You should definitely do your own covers and post the results. I've tried drawing before. My problem is I don't see things in my head like artists do. With music I can hear something in my head and play it. I just can visualize a picture very well.

Yeah for me the talent of drawing went away years ago. One of those skills that needs to be constantly nurtured and not dismissed for long periods of time. I guess after High School and when I joined the Army some things simply got put away.

Anyways hell yeah... If he ever chose to do an opp for the boards I would be all in. Would be cool to see Neal Adams's face if he caught a glimpse of one of those with him on it. Probably have him sketch it on a Batman blank... Anyways he has an amazing talent and if he ever chose to I'm sure many would jump on. Who knows maybe you found the next greatest thing.