• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do CGC comics not qualify for Media Mail now?

96 posts in this topic

So, it's reported yesterday that the USPS loses $324 Million in Q1…then I check the mail this evening and get this.

12376489435_f0314da616_b.jpg

This was the alleged "Spiderman Plaque"…a book (at least 8 pages).

8727313344_967384990d_c.jpg

And the exclamation point with the two red underlines really drove the point home. No wonder these clowns are losing money hand over fist!

Do CGC books not qualify for Media Mail or are these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons doing everything they can to ensure they don't lose a half billion in Q2?

Did they ever qualify for media mail?

It's my understanding that comics are not supposed to be sent via media mail because they contain advertisements. I know my local post office refuses to send any comics via media mail, and I have had shipments of comics I bought off ebay get returned to sender because they were sent media mail and rejected. It's a grey area and a lot of post office people don't seem to know their own rules, so some will send stuff media mail and some won't. But I'm pretty sure if an inspector opens a box of comics, it gets rejected.

It has always been my understanding that comics do not qualify for media mail, period. They contain ads for many things other than just announcements for other comic books. This makes them more like magazines than books. Even if the ads are vintage. Those are the rules as I've come to understand them.

So I'm not surprised in the slightest that any comic, let alone a CGC book would get flagged for breaking the rules.

And while this notice you received is a bit trumped up and clearly excessive to drive home a point, the bottom line is that using media mail for comics is by strict letter of policy not appropriate.

Did they ever qualify for media mail?

It's my understanding that comics are not supposed to be sent via media mail because they contain advertisements. I know my local post office refuses to send any comics via media mail, and I have had shipments of comics I bought off ebay get returned to sender because they were sent media mail and rejected. It's a grey area and a lot of post office people don't seem to know their own rules, so some will send stuff media mail and some won't. But I'm pretty sure if an inspector opens a box of comics, it gets rejected.

(thumbs u

And it's just asking for trouble sending a higher valued slab like the ASM 9 via media mail.

So, it's reported yesterday that the USPS loses $324 Million in Q1…then I check the mail this evening and get this.

And the exclamation point with the two red underlines really drove the point home. No wonder these clowns are losing money hand over fist!

Do CGC books not qualify for Media Mail or are these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons doing everything they can to ensure they don't lose a half billion in Q2?

They never did qualify for Media Mail.

And the USPS is profitable. They are hamstrung by the fact that they are forced to overfund their retirement plan by millions of dollars every year. Take that out and they are in the black year after year.

Why anyone would send a slab via media mail is asking for trouble. Pay the extra few bucks and ship it right.

Pretty much. Skirting the rules to be cheap always bites you in the . Just ask my wife about the stockpile of $5 bargain toasters in our pantry.

That's an awfully nice book to be shipped using a service one step above carrier pigeon. :eek:

Thanks for the education. I don't typically ship Media, and I guess I won't be any more. Didn't expect to get a 3rd degree here though…

Thanks guys

The PO is a ballbuster on comics. It's ramped up big time the last 5 years.

Thanks for the education. I don't typically ship Media, and I guess I won't be any more. Didn't expect to get a 3rd degree here though…

Thanks guys

No worries. I did get a laugh out of the "plaque" thing. (thumbs u

Didn't expect to get a 3rd degree here though…

Thanks guys

This is CG, no?

Comics have never qualified for Media Mail.

Media Mail is the slowest form of shipping through the post office.

Media Mail is also subjected to the most amount of handling and therefore prone to more damage.

I remember something about the post office not returning Media Mail if it is undeliverable but I could be wrong.

This is listed all over the USPS website.

Google tells you all about Media Mail as well as the fallacy of the USPS losing money.

There have been more than one thread devoted to this same subject on this website.

I am gonna go with no on the third degree thing.

Thanks guys

This is CG, no?

Media Mail is also subjected to the most amount of handling and therefore prone to more damage.

I remember something about the post office not returning Media Mail if it is undeliverable but I could be wrong.

Google tells you all about Media Mail as well as the fallacy of the USPS losing money.

There have been more than one thread devoted to this same subject on this website.

No need to be an individual_without_enough_empathy bud...

Shipping comics Media Mail is like speeding. Do it every day and occasionally get nailed. Pay the fine and take your packages to another USPS where they don't know you. Continue as you like till they hang your wanted picture up at all surrounding post office break rooms.

Thanks guys

This is CG, no?

No need to be an individual_without_enough_empathy bud...

I'm not.

I didn't say anything rude or abrasive.

Media mail is great for shipping books because it is incredibly cost effective but it comes with a risk. A risk that is easily identifiable.

I can understand getting a little bent because you didn't get the response you were looking for but me pointing out facts ( that several other people pointed out as well) that showed you that you were wrong doesn't make me an individual_without_enough_empathy.