• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many comic book collectors also collect movie posters and lobby cards?

9 posts in this topic

Hello All,

Just curious about this. Now that CGC grades lobby cards, should movie posters follow?

How many comic book collectors also collect lobby cards or movie posters?

I am really hoping that CGC will grade movie posters in the near future. Yes, I do no know that this topic is controversial in some circles as there are always those collectors who will then blame CGC for rising prices as more collectors come into the hobby. That being said, with CCS already in full operation and the fact that they also 'press' lobby cards and related collectibles is this not the perfect time for this to occur?

I know a lot of dealers on these forums also stumble across movie posters and lobby cards while finding and buying vintage comic books. What are your thoughts on this?

I think full-size posters are probably going to prove impractical to slab.

Vintage paperbacks, maybe pulps, and other types of magazines would be the logical successors to what they are doing now.

Also, the fact that restoration can sometimes make posters more valuable is going to create some problems, once they suddenly become stigmatized with a purple label.

http://www.certifiedguaranty.com/lobby-card-grading.aspx

CGC already grades lobby cards. These are like movie posters only smaller.

Above is the link.

There is 'talk' of them grading full sized posters. Keep in mind that these are NOT encased in hard plastic shells like CGC graded comic books. I think this is where the misconception is. They are placed in a somewhat flimsy yet rigid mylar.

I hold the highest graded set of lobby cards from the Raiders of the Lost Ark movie. Some of these in the set were graded 9.9. I wanted to post pictures, but realized they are packed in storage.

Lobby cards are neat, but a lot of collectors do not know what they are. They are only starting to get more attention as time goes on.

There is 'talk' of them grading full sized posters. Keep in mind that these are NOT encased in hard plastic shells like CGC graded comic books. I think this is where the misconception is. They are placed in a somewhat flimsy yet rigid mylar.

And you have perpetuated the misconception by never mentioning this in your original post :doh:

And you have perpetuated the misconception by never mentioning this in your original post :doh:

yes, this disclosure would have made a slight difference. i believe this site has very detailed grading criteria. http://www.cinemasterpieces.com/ personally, i'd prefer to see TAT's reduced than for CGC to take on a new product.