• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got back from WW Dallas

5 posts in this topic

I only attended on Friday, but I stayed with a friend in Arlington (shouldn't it be WW Arlington? Dallas is 15 miles away.) overnight, and couldn't get wait to get back and register my opinion on the Internet. Overall I had a great time. I hadn't been to a big comic show in literally almost 20 years, since I lived in Philadelphia and went to the Creation Conventions. I go to card shows all the time, but this was much better. In a hobby so involved in creativity, it was great to have so much going on. I wish I had taken part in it. Unfortunately, I managed to spend 7.5 hours in the dealer room, never once sitting down, for which I paid the price this morning. No panels, no signings, no bathroom breaks. But I did find most of the books I was looking for, from the common modern stuff (Spectre #21 and #23), to the obscure modern stuff (Starstruck The Expanded Universe #4), to the even more obscure modern stuff (Grendel The Devil's Vagary), to Silver Age classics (Tales of Suspense #52) to Silver Age readers (Thor #144). There was some stuff I couldn't find, which was a mild disappointment (I didn't see any really high grade early issues of Cerebus), but I was very pleasantly surprised by what I could find. Like Night Nurse #1 and Detective #359 (didn't buy them but was sorely tempted). Several dealers with 50% off trades, which is always nice. Pricing varied widely from table to table. Hot new books seemed to be Green Lantern Rebirth #1, which seemd to be selling at no less than $6, some tagged as high as $10, NYX #3 ($30 minimum) and #4 ($20 at most tables, but $5 at one table), Astonishing X-Men #2 ($8-10) and #3 ($6-8). Miracleman was available but pricey, while Fables and Y #1 were not common at all, and pricey. Sentry #1 SD Comicon version for $2 (steal of the day). One guy had 3 issues of Flex Mentallo for $30 each or $60 for all. FF #48 was easy to find, but prices were high. Saw a Startling Stories with an awesome Schomburg robot+girl cover but it was $900. Quite a beautiful cover, though. Though I could find most stuff I saw within a month on ebay, cheaper, too, probably, there's nothing like digging through hundreds of boxes and haggling over the price of treasures.

All that and I won the drawing for the opportunity to buy a Heroclix Galactus (they had to explain that to me a couple times). I found it very cheesey that winning a drawing didn't entitle you to any free stuff, no promos or anything, but I went ahead and did it because I know they sell for $150 or so, so that should pay for the ticket and the gas.

I didn't bother going to the artist's rooms, but lots of people were quite excited by Jim Lee and Michael Turner. I would've liked to have met John Cassaday, because he's awesome, but maybe next time. I did want to ask how long Planetary is going to run, because I think they are just getting warmed up, and I want it to last 300 issues.

Finally, a note to show promoters: just because the guy who does the voice of the Crypt Keeper is a guest at your show, that doesn't mean everyone likes hearing his voice amplified very loudly over the PA doing a schticky reading of the list of other guests. Headaches ensue...

I too attended WW Dallas. It was my first Con. Had a great time and got to meet some great people who post here on a regular basis. Steve and Darin, you guys are great! 893applaud-thumb.gif I learned that by driving to a LCS just a little further from my home that I will be able to find some very nice books at fair prices (looking forward to visiting Darin's store in the near future)! yay.gif

I managed to find some reader copies of 100 books or so at a fraction of what my (soon-to-be former) LCS charges for the similar copies. It was a real eye-opener and it made me think about just what a blast attending the Cons in SD and Chicago must be.

If anyone reading hasn't attended a regional Con before and you are considering doing so, do it! You won't regret it.

I'll post my official con report as soon as I get a chance to type it up.

I must say it was great to get the chance to meet PageFlipper, StrongGuy, and Lighthouse.

All are great people, and I can't say enough about their hospitality.

I just wish it wasn't such a mad rush on Sunday afternoon, so I could have visited with them more.

I can't wait until next year. 893applaud-thumb.gif