• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Man of Steel 18 5th print

33 posts in this topic

I found this at a rummage sale today. I did some investigating and found that people are paying good money for this book. How much rarer is it than the first prints? Also, is this a good book to hold onto or is this about all she wrote for value? Any thoughts are appreciated.

0ojf.jpg

Hard ( for a Marvel/DC book) to find. The 3rd-5th prints are a getting up there in price. The 4th seems to be the toughest for whatever reason. I'd hang onto it until they inevitably announce Doomsday as a villain in a future Superman movie. Hide it from Gijoeisawesome.

Why would anyone pay a premium for repops over 1st printings?

Just because it has a lower print run?

This seems counterintuitive and definitely flies in the face of my normal underground comix collecting,where 1st printings are more desired/valuable (and most other collectibles).

Sell!

This seems counterintuitive and definitely flies in the face of my normal underground comix collecting (and most other collectibles).

Sell!

Perceived rarity makes the heart grow fonder.

This seems counterintuitive and definitely flies in the face of my normal underground comix collecting (and most other collectibles).

Sell!

In my experience, until about 3-5 years ago, only the first printings were desirable by most collectors. Like you said, the lower production numbers of later printings have been driving up the numbers. Also, because most collectors were only saving first printings, a lot of later printings were either trashed or are hard to find in 9.6 or 9.8 condition. Also, it seems to be that the last printing (3rd, 4th or 5th printing) is more valuable than say the 2nd printing.

This seems counterintuitive and definitely flies in the face of my normal underground comix collecting,where 1st printings are more desired/valuable (and most other collectibles).

Sell!

Makes no sense to me why it's in demand. However, the market has responded. There was a time when these later prints were garbage

Sell!

I agree, but it seems some if these reprints (same yr) which have much lower print runs sell for a lot more then 1st prints... I for one would much rather have a 1st print over a repop regardless of print runs , but that's me (a SA/BA collector) .. The modern collectors seem to value thing a little different ... 2c

It is the CGC-it mentality crossed with the gotta-have-a-complete-collection mentality.

It creates a market of its own sometimes.

What's weird to me is the cover is not even different. I can see it being a "sketch" cover (lke Bats 612) or alternate art (like the gorgeous Bats 608 second print) but the same cover with a Roman numeral to note the printing?

meh

-slym

The person who liked that book is no longer here.

that person would never pay close to market price for the book anyway

He would, he would then say your grading was rubbish and demand half the cash back (tsk)

Sell!

Makes no sense to me why it's in demand. However, the market has responded. There was a time when these later prints were garbage

Since I've gotten active in my collecting again in the last year, I've been surprised to find those worthless Whitman reprints of DC comics now have value, not to mention titles like Marvel's Greatest Comics or the like.

It is the CGC-it mentality crossed with the gotta-have-a-complete-collection mentality.

It creates a market of its own sometimes.

What's weird to me is the cover is not even different. I can see it being a "sketch" cover (lke Bats 612) or alternate art (like the gorgeous Bats 608 second print) but the same cover with a Roman numeral to note the printing?

meh

-slym

Agreed. I have 3 copies of an issue of Uncanny X-Men. Can't quite remember the issue. Somewhere in the mid 300's I think.

Anyways, the comic store guy told me to get all three because, "Look, they are misprints. There is 3 different types of shading on the ninja star"

Like a dope I was "Oh boy! A misprint!"

Yeah.....

Sell!

That's probably the main reason.

Comics from the 1930s and 1940s were "donated" to the war effort.

Parents (mostly Moms) threw away kids' comic collections for decades.

Anything that we had (or could have had) that we don't have now becomes something we want.

Garbage first is the primary way an item becomes collectible later.

Sell!

Since I've gotten active in my collecting again in the last year, I've been surprised to find those worthless Whitman reprints of DC comics now have value, not to mention titles like Marvel's Greatest Comics or the like.

I remember when Weird War Tales was a worthless title.