• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Calgary Comic Expo April 24 - 27 2014

296 posts in this topic

:headbang:

Monday Calgary newspaper reports Expo attendance at 85k. Nice increase from year 2013 attendance capped at 60k by the fire marshal.

I know a Winnipeg retailer wanting to expand from 2 corner booths to 4 booths for April, 2015.

Not surprised at that numbers. I was living in Calgary before I moved here, and I had went to Calgary Expo for the last 10 years. It has expanded to the level now, and compared to Vancouver Expo here - I'm damn embarrassed! :P

I think I will go to Calgary next year and have more FUN there. I've seen the update for Vancouver Fan Expo 2015... so not looking good to me!

By the way, Van Expo was at about 25k in attendance as reported.

Correction: Tues. Calgary expo site reports attendance at 97k ! this must include all vendors, volunteers, support staff going through the turnstiles each day to get a # this HUGE by adding 1/2 a day: Thursday 4 pm. to 8 pm.

http://www.calgaryexpo.com/

I'd be very interested in how they calculated that. There's no way it was 97k calculated the same way NYCC or Toronto FanExpo counts.

85k in attendance seems more reasonable as it would put Calgary expo at same crowded level as Seattle's Emerald City comic-con.

Sorry, not driving to Regina, SK Expo. City is too small and far away from Vancouver, BC. Been there before.

And yet Calgary did not feel as crowded as ECC in any way. With the exception of the perimiter of the BMO building or being close to a washroom, entrance or food I was never shoulder to shoulder. Using the turnstile numbers would really inflate the attendance count.

And yet Calgary did not feel as crowded as ECC in any way. With the exception of the perimiter of the BMO building or being close to a washroom, entrance or food I was never shoulder to shoulder. Using the turnstile numbers would really inflate the attendance count.

Did you get out side to the tent and the big4 building with 2 floors of exhibits ?

A lot of kid stuff out there

Did you get out side to the tent and the big4 building with 2 floors of exhibits ?

I didn't see much in the tent. I bought auto tickets there. Big 4 top floor for signings so if there was a 1st floor then I missed it. About a quarter of the floor was concessions and another quarter was reserved for signings and again never felt crowded. If I had to guess based on feel I would say close to Phoenix Con. 60-70k. Of course I wasn't counting. lol

The turnstiles would count the same people who went in and out, again and again. hm

And in multiple spots. If you walked through BMO you'd be counted twice just looking let alone retracing your steps.

Calgary didn't sell tickets at the door so why wouldn't they use ticket sales as a gauge?

Good point

just add the little kids and you would have a accurate #

Or at least you know you couldn't have significantly more than that. (shrug)

I didn't see much in the tent. I bought auto tickets there. Big 4 top floor for signings so if there was a 1st floor then I missed it. About a quarter of the floor was concessions and another quarter was reserved for signings and again never felt crowded. If I had to guess based on feel I would say close to Phoenix Con. 60-70k. Of course I wasn't counting. lol

Was hoping you'd come by our booth and introduce yourself, perhaps dinner. Next year perhaps.

Was hoping you'd come by our booth and introduce yourself, perhaps dinner. Next year perhaps.

Weren't you beside Andy?

Weren't you beside Andy?

Yes we were right around the corner from him.