• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I just have to bring this up again

385 posts in this topic

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

This makes me very very sad.

Because comics have always been considered in the 'book' family there will always be the compulsion to have the creators sign them. This is just book culture and it has been around a lot longer than comics themselves so the habit is one that will likely endure moving forward.

I am NOT a fan of sig series. I understand the authentication of signatures is a boon to many collectible fields were forgeries are rampant and collectors have been ripped off many time.

That said, LEAVE THE :censored: HG PEDIGREE BOOKS ALONE for :censored: sakes. These are OO copies and if the OO wanted to have the :censored: creators sign them then they would have done so. The OO collections didn't :censored: survive in tact for decades so that you could get someone to take a felt :censored: marker or other device and have them scrawl their :censored: names over the cover in hopes that the book is going to worth 10% more than it otherwise would be AS IS, IN HG, with the PEDIGREE DESIGNATION.

This actually pissed me off sooooooo much that I do not buy sig :censored: series books in general and I wish pedigree collectors would draw a line in the sand on this one and NOT purchase sig series Pedigree Books. Especially the big Pedigrees, everyone who gets a sig series done for a Church Book should get 10 lashes or have a year taken of their existence. I think I saw a CURATOR sig series one and almost threw up in my mouth. A :censored::censored: CURATOR!!!!!

The sig can NEVER be undone you :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. I swear if I see an Okijima Camp book sig series, that person should spend 1 year in a :censored: internment camp and have to write "I will not sig series Pedigree books" on a chalk board for 8 hours a days every day.

LEAVE THE :censored: PEDIGREE BOOKS out of Sig. Series. pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-medium.gifBad-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000609-medium.gif

I think I need to get T-Shirts made.

ha ha so you don't think a *person_with_a_brain_the _size_of_a_peanut* should get the Church Action #1 signed by Stan Lee I take it....

Well a lot of the GA is ok as the creators are often no longer alive. I have to admit to not knowing this, but will CGC authenticate ANYTHING? Like if someone got Romita to sign FF1 would they authenticate the sig? I'm hoping John would decline, but in the event that a creator did actually sign something they didn't have a hand in I HOPE they have a policy for where the authenticators would NOT witness the signature.

This issue is obviously near and dear to me, NOTHING makes my stomach turn and blood boil more than Sig Series Pedigrees.... Well there is Slight Resto Pedigrees which is up there as well, color touching a 9.4 Ped to get a 9.6 :facepalm: Those people should be Shot-Dead-shot-gun-bullet-smiley-emoticon-000660-medium.gif too, but oh wait then there wouldn't be any Old School GA dealers left :makepoint:

CGC SS is a witnessing program, not an authentication program. So those who have passed, and the signatures not witnessed by CGC, their signatures are not eligible for CGC SS.

I have a tough time saying one thing is ok and one thing isn't.

If I'm a boss and all I collect are HG pedigrees, and I take my gradson to meet STan Lee, if I have Stan sign my HG pedigree Avengers 1 because its my grandson's favorite movie and my favorite comic, am I the worst person ever? Because I want to remember this special moment, and for my grandson to remember it? Are there other options to have things signed? Sure there are, but its my favorite comic (WHICH I OWN) and I want it to be my grandson's favorite too. Is that ok with everyone? I don't care if the retail is great or the market is limited, I hope no one ever buys it, I hope my grandson keeps and passes it to his grandson. Do I deserve your judgment or harsh criticism?

Maybe you can tell it to the 10 year old grandson after his grandpa passes that his gramps was a fool for having his favorite comic signed by his lifelong hero and that he shared the special moment with his grandson. THe grandson can know the history behind the pedigree and still appreciate it, but he hopefully will value it more because of the added history of that time he went to go meet Stan Lee with his gramps.

There's certainly something to be said for investor value and market, and probably from a value perspective, maybe even a historical perspective, its not ultra wise to get your HG KEY signed, but from a human perspective, its not too hard for me to find a justification.

Signatures on books.

At one time it was considered ok to tape a book. To fill in missing ink with crayons, markers.

I believe future collectors will shake their heads in dismay at the signing of books.

You do not alter a collectible-at all. You do not polish up old coins. You do not refinish antique furniture. You do not get the guy who found the dead sea scrolls to sign them.

You leave a collectible ALONE. It is inevitable that one day untouched, un stan-leed books will command a huge premium. When people come to their senses and realize what they are doing.

If you want Stan Lee's signature (why, I don't know-they are as common as dirt)-get him to sign a piece of paper and insert it in the book.

Because comics have always been considered in the 'book' family there will always be the compulsion to have the creators sign them. This is just book culture and it has been around a lot longer than comics themselves so the habit is one that will likely endure moving forward.

I am NOT a fan of sig series. I understand the authentication of signatures is a boon to many collectible fields were forgeries are rampant and collectors have been ripped off many time.

That said, LEAVE THE :censored: HG PEDIGREE BOOKS ALONE for :censored: sakes. These are OO copies and if the OO wanted to have the :censored: creators sign them then they would have done so. The OO collections didn't :censored: survive in tact for decades so that you could get someone to take a felt :censored: marker or other device and have them scrawl their :censored: names over the cover in hopes that the book is going to worth 10% more than it otherwise would be AS IS, IN HG, with the PEDIGREE DESIGNATION.

This actually pissed me off sooooooo much that I do not buy sig :censored: series books in general and I wish pedigree collectors would draw a line in the sand on this one and NOT purchase sig series Pedigree Books. Especially the big Pedigrees, everyone who gets a sig series done for a Church Book should get 10 lashes or have a year taken of their existence. I think I saw a CURATOR sig series one and almost threw up in my mouth. A :censored::censored: CURATOR!!!!!

The sig can NEVER be undone you :censored: insufficiently_thoughtful_persons. I swear if I see an Okijima Camp book sig series, that person should spend 1 year in a :censored: internment camp and have to write "I will not sig series Pedigree books" on a chalk board for 8 hours a days every day.

LEAVE THE :censored: PEDIGREE BOOKS out of Sig. Series. pain-pain-ache-headache-smiley-emoticon-000336-medium.gifBad-bad-mad-angry-smiley-emoticon-000609-medium.gif

Western Penn, sucka

IMG00070-20101011-2107.jpg

Can you get an SS with an interior signature? Just wondering...

Yes, I have a couple.

:idea: I like that! You can have the old school feel of the ballpoint pen signature on the first page while not ruining the cover AND having it SS. :cloud9:

Signatures on books.

Western Penn, sucka

You are the Malcolm X of the SS community.

Signatures on books.

Western Penn, sucka

hope you pressed it

Signatures on books.

Western Penn, sucka

Signatures on books.

Western Penn, sucka

Let's quote this book some more.

Signatures on books.

I wish I had a HG pedigree book. I'd get it signed just to see if you would have another heart attack.

:jokealert:

However, I do think people can do what they want with their books as they see fit. If that HG pedigree book isn't leaving their collection ever (well, until after they die, anyway) then how is this harming you? Really, how is any of the other books getting signed harming you? Those pedigree books are no longer the OO's, so that point seems moot to me.

:shrug:

-slym

And this is why the concept of possession and ownership is of course lost on some people. My opinion is that collectors are simply taking possession of these items, yes they paid for that possession but given that the item in question will out live them, they will never truly achieve ownership. This is a concept related to antiquities and IMO if the comic book medium is ever really to ascend the preservation of that medium has a role to play in its long term existence.

The view point you articulate is not uncommon, so I apologize for singling it out and do not necessarily solely ascribe it to you personally, but it is short sighted and erodes the hobby. It is of course not the only mechanism that does so, but the manufacturing of collectibles, and that is what Sig series is at its core, has almost always NOT stood up well over the course of time or upon reflection.

The core Pedigree collections make up the base fabric of this collectible medium, they are the bedrock upon which things are compared too and without them a significant element, that of appreciation would be severely diminished. If you have ever held a Church Timely in your hand, or opened a SA Curator this and have an appreciation for the preservation then this is not lost on you.

I think this hobby is not dependant at all on the success or failure of the SS line of CGC books.

-slym

Yes, I have a couple.

:idea: I like that! You can have the old school feel of the ballpoint pen signature on the first page while not ruining the cover AND having it SS. :cloud9:

Some sigs are cool.

2012-10-18084654.jpg[/img]

It would be more interesting to here about his work instead of reading more inane threads.

Link #1

Link #2

A. KAVIRAJ: Kav is an artist, teacher, and biologist who lives in Sacramento, California.

He is the artist for The End of Paradise, Rapid City,Tales From The Future, and Dr Death vs The Zombie. He is the writer and artist for Dr. Death vs. The Vampire. E-mail: ddkaviraj@aol.com

Nice detective work. :golfclap:

I can't and won't take credit for it.

I will.

What am I taking credit for?

It would be more interesting to here about his work instead of reading more inane threads.

Link #1

Link #2

A. KAVIRAJ: Kav is an artist, teacher, and biologist who lives in Sacramento, California.

He is the artist for The End of Paradise, Rapid City,Tales From The Future, and Dr Death vs The Zombie. He is the writer and artist for Dr. Death vs. The Vampire. E-mail: ddkaviraj@aol.com

Nice detective work. :golfclap:

I can't and won't take credit for it.

I will.

What am I taking credit for?

Does it matter?

And does not knowing ever stopped you before?

Signatures on books.

Western Penn, sucka

Let's quote this book some more.

BOOM SHAKA LAKA!!

Signatures on books.

ha ha so you don't think a *person_with_a_brain_the _size_of_a_peanut* should get the Church Action #1 signed by Stan Lee I take it....

Well a lot of the GA is ok as the creators are often no longer alive. I have to admit to not knowing this, but will CGC authenticate ANYTHING? Like if someone got Romita to sign FF1 would they authenticate the sig? I'm hoping John would decline, but in the event that a creator did actually sign something they didn't have a hand in I HOPE they have a policy for where the authenticators would NOT witness the signature.

This issue is obviously near and dear to me, NOTHING makes my stomach turn and blood boil more than Sig Series Pedigrees.... Well there is Slight Resto Pedigrees which is up there as well, color touching a 9.4 Ped to get a 9.6 :facepalm: Those people should be Shot-Dead-shot-gun-bullet-smiley-emoticon-000660-medium.gif too, but oh wait then there wouldn't be any Old School GA dealers left :makepoint:

CGC SS is a witnessing program, not an authentication program. So those who have passed, and the signatures not witnessed by CGC, their signatures are not eligible for CGC SS.

If I'm a boss and all I collect are HG pedigrees, and I take my gradson to meet STan Lee, if I have Stan sign my HG pedigree Avengers 1 because its my grandson's favorite movie and my favorite comic, am I the worst person ever? Because I want to remember this special moment, and for my grandson to remember it? Are there other options to have things signed? Sure there are, but its my favorite comic (WHICH I OWN) and I want it to be my grandson's favorite too. Is that ok with everyone? I don't care if the retail is great or the market is limited, I hope no one ever buys it, I hope my grandson keeps and passes it to his grandson. Do I deserve your judgment or harsh criticism?

Maybe you can tell it to the 10 year old grandson after his grandpa passes that his gramps was a fool for having his favorite comic signed by his lifelong hero and that he shared the special moment with his grandson. THe grandson can know the history behind the pedigree and still appreciate it, but he hopefully will value it more because of the added history of that time he went to go meet Stan Lee with his gramps.

There's certainly something to be said for investor value and market, and probably from a value perspective, maybe even a historical perspective, its not ultra wise to get your HG KEY signed, but from a human perspective, its not too hard for me to find a justification.

This is a specific example used to generalize a situation that is dependent on so many "1 in a million factors" as to not really be relevant in the context of the impact of Sig. Series a Pedigree on the comics collectible hobby. Ah, why I rarely post in general. ..... Here is my counter example that is equally specific with a myriad number of factors necessary that are so "alien in a ship comes to earth and gives you a million dollars" as to not be relevant to articulating a point in any discussion.

Lets say you were able to get the BSD who owns all the Church Timely's to sell them to just you. Lets also say that you had the money, probably 7 figures, to purchase those books. Hey maybe the Dentist was getting out of the Hobby and threw in the Church Action 1 and Allentown Tec 27 for good measure. Then lets say you a HUGE ROB LIEFELD fan and that Rob once saved your life because his art on X-force was so beautiful that it gave you hope that the human race was not hopeless and that you therefore did not want to commit suicide anymore and remain a part of it.

Lets continue this line of reasoning to the point where you take all those Church books and get Rob to sign the Cover of EVERYONE of them in big black marker so that his signature took up a full 1/3 of every Cover. You then submit them for Sig Series. Does anyone think that those events would NOT have a negative impact on the historical preservation of the medium of comics and the collectible hobby as a whole moving forward?

Yes, I have a couple.

Some sigs are cool.

2012-10-18084654.jpg

:o(worship)

Only blue label book I have with a notation of a sig on the first page is a Thanos Quest #1 - Ron Lim. :cool:

Signatures on books.

This is a specific example used to generalize a situation that is dependent on so many "1 in a million factors" as to not really be relevant in the context of the impact of Sig. Series a Pedigree on the comics collectible hobby. Ah, why I rarely post in general. ..... Here is my counter example that is equally specific with a myriad number of factors necessary that are so "alien in a ship comes to earth and gives you a million dollars" as to not be relevant to articulating a point in any discussion.

Lets say you were able to get the BSD who owns all the Church Timely's to sell them to just you. Lets also say that you had the money, probably 7 figures, to purchase those books. Hey maybe the Dentist was getting out of the Hobby and threw in the Church Action 1 and Allentown Tec 27 for good measure. Then lets say you a HUGE ROB LIEFELD fan and that Rob once saved your life because his art on X-force was so beautiful that it gave you hope that the human race was not hopeless and that you therefore did not want to commit suicide anymore and remain a part of it.

Lets continue this line of reasoning to the point where you take all those Church books and get Rob to sign the Cover of EVERYONE of them in big black marker so that his signature took up a full 1/3 of every Cover. You then submit them for Sig Series. Does anyone think that those events would NOT have a negative impact on the historical preservation of the medium of comics and the collectible hobby as a whole moving forward?

This put the absurdum in reductio ad absurdum