• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

X-Men 1 or JIM 83?

27 posts in this topic

I'm looking to get my next big SA key in the next couple of months and I'm trying to decide whether I go for JIM 83 or X-Men 1. I know the former is the rarer and more expensive book but with the new X-Men movie out soon, perhaps there will be another spike in prices for X-Men 1. I don't how these books are trending right now. Anyone have any advice as to which one to buy next?

I see a xmen 1 at least every few months on the boards pretty common. Jim 83 harder to find I think. I have been looking for a presentable Jim 83 in my grade and price range for over year. Patience is the key.

In my opinion it is soooo much easier to score a nice X-men 1 than a Jim83. I'd always go with the rarer book first, supplies aren't getting any better, plus Jim 83 is flat or trending down so it's a good time to buy. X-men 1 has been trending higher as of late. (Prolly movie buzz.) But supplies are 2.5 times that of Jim 83... That's a lot of copies...

If you don't have a sentimental favorite (the best way to choose what comic to buy), then I'd say X-Men #1.

I see it like this; The X-Men absolutely dominated the comic book world for a quarter of a century, maybe more, and there will always be people looking for #1. There are multiple generations of potential new collectors who grew up X fans.

It's common by SA Marvel standards, but has a huge buying pool.

Don't go by the rarer of the two or what folks on the boards recommend... It's your collection. Go with your sentimental favorite. You really can't go wrong with either one. Both are "mega keys" and first appearances of classic characters.

Don't go by the rarer of the two or what folks on the boards recommend... It's your collection. Go with your sentimental favorite. You really can't go wrong with either one. Both are "mega keys" and first appearances of classic characters.

This is true, but I tailored my answer more to the prevailing market. And I think it's more of a "good" time to buy a Jim 83 than it is an X-men 1. My opinion is given in a scenario where all things are equal it's a better time to buy a Jim 83 than an x-men1.

I am having a similar debate right now between X-Men 1, Avengers 1 and BB 28. Therefore, selfishly, I hope you choose the JIM 83 so that there are more X-Men 1's for me to choose from.

I will echo the others and say which ever one you like more. If equal in that regard, focus on the one that can be had for the better price.

I would do the JIM 83 first, just because it seems like it's trending down. Always better to buy something when it's not on the hot list. Both books are great buys! Good luck finding a copy of which ever one you pick! :headbang:

I Think these books will always be hot,the fact is the JIM 83 is much harder to come by.If it were me I would be going for a Hulk #1 before it starts to really go the way of the AF 15,and I think it's getting close now.

I would do the JIM 83 first, just because it seems like it's trending down. Always better to buy something when it's not on the hot list. Both books are great buys! Good luck finding a copy of which ever one you pick! :headbang:

I Think these books will always be hot,the fact is the JIM 83 is much harder to come by.If it were me I would be going for a Hulk #1 before it starts to really go the way of the AF 15,and I think it's getting close now.

Absolutely. It's only a matter of time before Hulk 1 explodes. It probably won't see AF15 levels, but it could be close. Hulk 1 is a lot scarcer and has huge demand. And the killer black cover making it so difficult to get HG copies.

I think hulk 1, st 110, DD 1 are the silver age keys to have right now before a big explosion. They're tough books to get.

I think hulk 1, st 110, DD 1 are the silver age keys to have right now before a big explosion. They're tough books to get.

I am glad I don't have to worry about these exploding and missing the boat. :cloud9::banana:

I am glad I don't have to worry about these exploding and missing the boat. :cloud9::banana:

lol even if i did pick it up I wouldn't sell. I buy and keep not flip. lol I've seen your posts you have every bronze, silver age book right?

lol even if i did pick it up I wouldn't sell. I buy and keep not flip. lol I've seen your posts you have every bronze, silver age book right?

Yeah Frankie is such a hoarder. :eyeroll:

If you don't have a sentimental favorite (the best way to choose what comic to buy), then I'd say X-Men #1.

I see it like this; The X-Men absolutely dominated the comic book world for a quarter of a century, maybe more, and there will always be people looking for #1. There are multiple generations of potential new collectors who grew up X fans.

+1

If you plan on selling one of these two books in the future, X Men 1 will be your best bet. That book is relatively inexpensive in low grades and I think there is still a lot of room for growth. The fan base itself guarantees that this book will never be hard to sell. But overall, I would buy the book that I like the most. Btw, I sold my high grade Hulk 181 so I could buy a low grade X Men 1. It's been one of the best comic book choices I've ever made.

I like this analysis and this would be my recommendation as well. (thumbs u

+1

I've been adding the mega keys to my collection for the last two years and my strategy was always to buy the books that I personally would enjoy having the most. So, I started with: FF1, AF15 & X-Men1 as my top 3 "must have" books.