• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please help Roy Thomas identify man in this circa 1946 photo with Lee Harris

98 posts in this topic

Wow, great eye. Hard to be certain but it sure looks like him from those later photos. Anyone know of any 1940s-era photos of Harry Lampert?

Good guess BB, but .5 here's an early pic of Lampert in the military in early 1940's and the mystery man is not Lampert. The mystery man appears older so an editor or staff or a writer rather than an artist seems like a better alternative but who ...

Pic courtesy of Alter Ego # 4 - Spring 2000 -

HarryLampert1940s_zpsb074239d.jpg

Ears are one of the best physical characteristics for comparison. They're similar to fingerprints in that they don't change much over a lifetime and are unique to each individual...

1656051_10202297627014812_2090794374_n.jpg

Based on comparison of the ear lobes and other features, I'm not convinced that Harry Lampert is the gentleman in the first image. smiley-char156.gif

C%2526IAlumni.jpg

Based on comparison of the ear lobes and other features, I'm not convinced that Harry Lampert is the gentleman in the first image.
He and his ears could've gotten away with it, if it hadn't been for you meddling kids.

I was able to find some interesting and relevant info found at:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Comics

Keep in mind that (unlike many of you) I am a relative newbie in the area of gathering historic information on Golden Age Comics, so this source was relatively new to me.

On this site, a wealth of pertinent info seems to be offered.

To begin with, the entire series of stunning Batman covers can be found, along with the names and dates of corresponding staff at Detective Comics --both artists and editors.

For example, here is the link to the Jan. 1946 #107 issue:

http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Detective_Comics_Vol_1_107

Starting with Detective Comics, Jan. 1946, issue #107, until July 1946 issue #113

(According to records, July 1946 my dad, aka "Lee Harris" likely moved from Real Facts episodes over to resume drawing Air Wave, #113).

For this entire span of time, the Executive Editor is listed as: Whitney Ellsworth

The Editor is listed as: Jack Schiff

Could our “mystery man” be one of these two individuals?

If not, then it would be interesting (though admittedly timely) to consider all of the artists on staff during this specific time frame.

Comments, insights, clues , definitive answers are all welcome and greatly appreciated at this point in time.

Jonathan

Here is a photo that has been identified as Whitney Ellsworth:

whitney-ellsworth_large.jpg

Here is a photo of Jack Schiff:

jack-schiff.jpg

Here is the circa 1946 photo with Lee Harris on the left and our "mystery man" on the right:

1888749_10202263551682950_1833695530_n.jpg

I believe it will help us to see some better quality photos of Ellsworth and Schiff, if possible. Hopefully taken circa 1946.

Still, it's a start...

Jonathan

He does not look like 40s photos of Sheldon Mayer, Whitney Ellsworth, Mort Weisinger, Bernie Breslauer, Sol Harrison, Alfred Bester, or Jack Schiff. Doesn't look like a 50s picture of Larry Nadle.

Looks a little like Julius Schwartz, but too much hair and too grey compared to an early 40s picture I've seen.

Here's a suggestion: Theodore Ingalls aka Wes Udall aka Ted Udall. He was asst. editor from 1944-1946.

Yep. Slight build, thin arms, glasses, receding hair line, suspenders. I think it all fits. Plus, the pictures of all the other contenders don't fit. "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." From the editorial ranks, who else is left standing besides Udall? I think Roy just got himself a decent photo of Udall.

Do you mean this pic?

SchwartzUdall.jpg

The guy in that pic has less hair than the one in the pic with George. Do we know when this one was taken?

Thunsicker...

I found this photo of Kashdan at an older age.

1606790-george_kashdan.jpg

Kashdan is listed on Wiki as being Born in the Bronx in 1928.

My dad was born in 1921.

If it were Kashan he should look about 7 years younger than my dad, not 7 years older.

In any case, thanks for your interest, efforts and guesses.

It all good. :)

Jonathan

Adamstrange,

The guy with his back to us largely in shadows is Udall.

The guy facing us, who you point out has less hair, is Schwartz.

The picture is from 8/10/45.

Then the Udall theory seems likely.

Just curious... would Udall have been at Detective Comics in Jan-July 1946?

Might there be any better/crisper photos of Udall to do a side-by side comparison. Even at an older age. If it is clear, we can compare... the ears! :)

Thanks again for everyone's time, thought and efforts.

I will send Roy our very best answer once all avenues have been exhausted, or a very close match is shown and we are all (relatively) in agreement.

As you might imagine, Roy is currently working hard on so many interesting projects, that I do not want to contact him on this matter unless our evidence is compelling and strong. Hopefully definitive.

Jonathan