• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Writings on covers and more

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I have some questions concerning the grading of comic books.

I have some comics which have marks or writings by pen on the covers.

My question is: even though some of them are in good condition and would be VF or NM, do these kinds of flaws put them on a GD or lesser grade?

I'm sorry if these kind of questions could be easily found on Overstreet or somewhere else, but I've just started collecting seriously and don't know where to start.

Thank you.

Welcome to the boards!

This is a valid question to which there is not single correct answer. Writing on covers takes many forms, and some are more likely to be "forgiven" by CGC than others. A hand-written "arrival date" - sometimes in an alpha-numeric code, and frequently written with a grease pencil - will generally note affect the book's grade at all. A child's name written haphazardly on a cover WILL affect grade, to some degree (depending in part on how big the name is written, what it's written with (pencil vs. crayon vs. pen), etc.).

I would recommend that you:

1) purchase the Overstreet Grading Guide, edition 2 (printed in 2002 I think)

2) scan a couple of the books in question and post the scans here for us to view and comment on.