• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conventions or the internet?

49 posts in this topic

On additional comment that I meant to say but forgot -- and jimjum included:

You can inspect the comics. You can hold them, tilt them to check for unseen creases, flip to see Marvel stamps. other cut-outs, check the staples, check the cover, centerfold, etc.

Basically, you can see firsthand everything that eBay hides. Usually, that eBay "deal" turns out to be a wash.

Conventions pose their own problems... lighting can make it difficult, as can being jostled, rushed, hungry and tired. I've missed plenty of defects at conventions that I just overlooked because I didn't feel comfortable enough to inspect properly. No one to blame but myself, I just needed to learn to take my time. At least online, you can calmly study the images, and it's up to the seller to mention the more subtle defects.

I know exactly what you mean under those conditions and being 'under the spotlight' in inspecting, whereas online you're not pressured.

Outside of key issues or a book that may be deemed "hot" at that given moment, I think plenty of good deals can be had both online and at cons.

Just my experience, but I think finding keys at a reasonable price may be easier online, while buying lots or runs of non-key books can be fun and cheaper at cons. Shopping at cons on Sunday, especially if Saturday was slow, can lead to nice deals at cons, in particular if buying in bulk.

Just depends on what you are looking for, I guess.

Regardless, I hope you have a chance to come over and check out one of the major cons in the states. Good luck with everything.

A lot will also depend on your propensity for travel..... do you like to globe trot ? Combining a US vacation with a convention as part of it could be cool.... especially if it was a once in a lifetime thing. I would imagine getting to the West Coast of America would be best from a logistics standpoint. If that is the case, hitting Terry Stroud's Yorba Linda Convention would have the kind of stuff you seem to like and, believe me, at the end of the show you can get some deals. You'll see a lot of stuff at a show like that that never makes it to eBay.....plus you can inspect the books in person and do some cherry picking. I wouldn't do San Diego because it would eat up so much of your budget just to get in. Option number two for the Great American Vacation Of A Lifetime..... and the one I would choose.... is the Baltimore Comicon with the Geppi Museum, Inner Harbor, Aquarium, etc...... with a quick 3 day jaunt down to Washington D.C. for the Smithsonian Museum and the Capitol. Still, cost for cost, your best bet with assembling a collection is to surf the web.... as has been said. I only do a few shows a year with a couple local and maybe Baltimore if I'm getting OT. One of my favorite times in my life was going to B'more with Judy. She likes comics also and was in seventh heaven running around the show taking pictures and searching for UG's..... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I've been to the States 4 times back in the 90's but combining it with another holiday would make sense. Thanks so much for the advice on those shows! I've been told here by a contributor to the Overstreet Guide report that I know to avoid SD & that Baltimore is superior in terms of a show being about actual comics.

You mentioned Judy in past tense? Hope she's okay.

Thanks Jim & to others I haven't acknowledged so far :)

Outside of key issues or a book that may be deemed "hot" at that given moment, I think plenty of good deals can be had both online and at cons.

Just my experience, but I think finding keys at a reasonable price may be easier online, while buying lots or runs of non-key books can be fun and cheaper at cons. Shopping at cons on Sunday, especially if Saturday was slow, can lead to nice deals at cons, in particular if buying in bulk.

Just depends on what you are looking for, I guess.

Regardless, I hope you have a chance to come over and check out one of the major cons in the states. Good luck with everything.

Yeah agree with that about what Manetteska called the 'about-to-be-hot' comics as that's what happened with me as I said with ST 110. Shopping on Sundays is something to remember and I think the Overstreet Guide states the same. My collection is only slim these days as I've sold most of the flim-flam off to concentrate on Silver & Bronze Age keys/1st appearances and I'm a sucker for multiples.

I'd love to come over soon and also meet some other comics fans too, so thanks mate!

A lot will also depend on your propensity for travel..... do you like to globe trot ? Combining a US vacation with a convention as part of it could be cool.... especially if it was a once in a lifetime thing. I would imagine getting to the West Coast of America would be best from a logistics standpoint. If that is the case, hitting Terry Stroud's Yorba Linda Convention would have the kind of stuff you seem to like and, believe me, at the end of the show you can get some deals. You'll see a lot of stuff at a show like that that never makes it to eBay.....plus you can inspect the books in person and do some cherry picking. I wouldn't do San Diego because it would eat up so much of your budget just to get in. Option number two for the Great American Vacation Of A Lifetime..... and the one I would choose.... is the Baltimore Comicon with the Geppi Museum, Inner Harbor, Aquarium, etc...... with a quick 3 day jaunt down to Washington D.C. for the Smithsonian Museum and the Capitol. Still, cost for cost, your best bet with assembling a collection is to surf the web.... as has been said. I only do a few shows a year with a couple local and maybe Baltimore if I'm getting OT. One of my favorite times in my life was going to B'more with Judy. She likes comics also and was in seventh heaven running around the show taking pictures and searching for UG's..... GOD BLESS...

I've been to the States 4 times back in the 90's but combining it with another holiday would make sense. Thanks so much for the advice on those shows! I've been told here by a contributor to the Overstreet Guide report that I know to avoid SD & that Baltimore is superior in terms of a show being about actual comics.

You mentioned Judy in past tense? Hope she's okay.

Thanks Jim & to others I haven't acknowledged so far :)

Judy's fine..... thanks for asking. She still jumps at any chance to go to the local Richmond show and she is fascinated by the cosplay..... GOD BLESS...

The bigger cons where dealer overhead is higher is where I have gotten my best deals. I let the dealers know that I am a dealer myself so they know already that a) I won't pay a premium for a book (unless is it something like AF15 where I can sit on it for awhile and still make something in a fairly short time frame) and b) I might spend a fairly nice chunk of change on a big stack if I can get a good deal. When I was setting up at cons, the bigger the stack, the "stupider" I got...

However, if it is a very successful dealer, they might not negotiate at all because they don't need my business to have a good show. I usually like to case the joint on Saturday and then buy on Sunday. The dealers are usually excited during setup on Thursday and the first day on Friday thinking that this is going to be their best show and so deals are tough on Friday - I know, I've done a ton of cons and some were great and some were not so good. You can tell on Sunday who has had a good show and who has not.

The bottom line is that it takes a lot of sweat equity to score deals at any con - some dealers are very proud of their stuff or it isn't their day job so they don't feel the need to deal. Some dealers want the cash flow - they might be having a bad show or they need the funds to buy a collection in which they are in the process of negotiations.

The 2nd bottom line is don't be afraid to walk away - leave the dealer with "I'll think about it" or if you made an offer, "You think about it and I'll see you tomorrow".

It's a game like everything else in life.

You can inspect the comics. You can hold them, tilt them to check for unseen creases, flip to see Marvel stamps. other cut-outs, check the staples, check the cover, centerfold, etc.

Basically, you can see firsthand everything that eBay hides. Usually, that eBay "deal" turns out to be a wash.

^^

I agree with WalkinWillie. There is some sweat equity that you need to do in order to get deals at conventions.

The good thing about conventions is the fact you can buy raw books and see them in person rather than paying the CGC premium for the key books. Some dealers will price their raw books as if they were CGC graded while others will go more in between Overstreet prices, GPA analysis and current trends to get an average price.

If you can negotiate the raw books with a reputable dealer that discloses restoration and can accurately grade closer to CGC standards then you can get some really nice deals. It takes work but there are some really good deals out there if you take the time to go through the process.

The other benefit of conventions is you meet other cool collectors and of course the cosplay as a nice distraction.

Better deals for cheap but collectible comics at conventions. Better deals for expensive collectible comics on the internet. Hard to factor in the trips (or the postage sometimes). I don't apply the cost for the trip to my convention purchases because I like going to the conventions.

Something I didn't expect either, as I thought I was missing out on convention bargains

There are no convention bargains, other than cool stuff you find in the bargain bins, and you can do that locally (and probably with more success).

If you have cash, you can usually find a dealer that didn't do so great and is looking to unload stock in the last hour of the show. You can get stuff at a big discount, but any real bargains will be long gone. I once bought 10 longboxes of stuff for $100 after a show ended when the dealer was tired and didn't want to load up his wagon.

Nothing great, most ended up in my 3/$1 boxes but even that gave me a fantastic return.

The last three cons I went to, I spent little on older books. Mostly bought newer books from the artists, or picked up a few trades. The last Vegas show, it seemed like every dealer agreed to jack up the prices 50% before the show.

In my country, scoring a huge find would be rare in local cons. Mine include Walking 19 for a dollar, Superman 75 Platinum for $25, Marvels HC Limited Signed for $30, Miracleman 24 for $23, New Mutants 98 for $50, etc.

Almost always, I anticipate attending cons because of the deals concluded through ebay and forums. Further, I look forward to the bonding moments with fellow collectors. We display our toy collections, ogle at the sexy cosplayers and have drinking sessions afterwards. :)

Just don't go with a non-comic loving woman if you want to spend time wading through long boxes.

I give her money to buy shoes and clothes and we're all set. :)

She doesn't understand that I can stay at cons for an entire day and not get bored or tired.