• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Conventions or the internet?

49 posts in this topic

Something I didn't expect either, as I thought I was missing out on convention bargains

There are no convention bargains, other than cool stuff you find in the bargain bins, and you can do that locally (and probably with more success).

Sure there are. Lots of them. You just have to be diligent in the search effort.

This is just from my own personal experience of traveling to conventions nationwide for the sole purpose of purchasing with the intent to re-sell online. I've even purchased items at the convention and re-sold them to other vendors at the same convention, on the same day. lol

I think the ability to find a quality deal in-person at a convention is far more likely than doing so online.

Something I didn't expect either, as I thought I was missing out on convention bargains

There are no convention bargains, other than cool stuff you find in the bargain bins, and you can do that locally (and probably with more success).

Okay, trouble is that here in Brisbane Australia there's only 5 comic shops and only one of them stocks back issues with little in the way of bargain bins. The other places get you bemused looks if you mention 'back issues' or they think you mean something within the last 10-15 years.

Sydney & Melbourne offer more opportunities but even they're limited. It feels like being in a comic desert out here sometimes :(

But still, with the overwhelming feedback that I'm not actually missing out on much does make feel better :)

Sure there are. Lots of them. You just have to be diligent in the search effort.

This is just from my own personal experience of traveling to conventions nationwide for the sole purpose of purchasing with the intent to re-sell online. I've even purchased items at the convention and re-sold them to other vendors at the same convention, on the same day. lol

I think the ability to find a quality deal in-person at a convention is far more likely than doing so online.

Well there's a differing perspective hm

Well, I've been to few Conventions in my time and therefore offer the following solicited advice.

In the pre-internet days I went to every convention Australia had to offer (even helped organise one) simply so I could buy books.

First trip to the U.S. in 1980 drove coast to coast and back again hitting every LCS I could find (thank you Yellow Pages) to buy books.

First SDCC was 1989 and I was there to buy books.

I have been to two other SDCCs since and doubt I'd go to another.

Why?

I can get the books I want far too easily thanks to the 'Net - and I am not talking just eBay here, but also other sources, private and public.

Sure, I 'd be off to the US for another holiday in a heartbeat - maybe even check out a few LCSs. But (you knew there'd be a but) the cost to just attend a big convention is just way out of line with the benefit, if you are just there to buy comics. Sure, great deals may be had as the Convention is shutting and dealers nervously count their receipts, but that's a long way to go and a large expenditure for you to MAYBE get a deal.

Want to go for sketches, autographs and panels? Different story altogether. The big US conventions cannot be beat.

Also been to a ton of Australian Conventions since 1989. Still turn up but I haven't bought a comic there in a long time - the Boards have spoiled me. Then why do I go? Catch up with friends.

If you are after something really specific - title/number/grade - ask Harley to bring it with him. He may not have it, but give him enough lead time he'll likely find it.

You know him, and you know he's easy to deal with. When sticker shock sets in tell yourself that Harley just saved you 14 hours each way in a plane, airfares, accommodation, meals and all the rest.

Oh, that Harley - such a martyr lol

Well, I've been to few Conventions in my time and therefore offer the following solicited advice.

In the pre-internet days I went to every convention Australia had to offer (even helped organise one) simply so I could buy books.

First trip to the U.S. in 1980 drove coast to coast and back again hitting every LCS I could find (thank you Yellow Pages) to buy books.

First SDCC was 1989 and I was there to buy books.

I have been to two other SDCCs since and doubt I'd go to another.

Why?

I can get the books I want far too easily thanks to the 'Net - and I am not talking just eBay here, but also other sources, private and public.

Sure, I 'd be off to the US for another holiday in a heartbeat - maybe even check out a few LCSs. But (you knew there'd be a but) the cost to just attend a big convention is just way out of line with the benefit, if you are just there to buy comics. Sure, great deals may be had as the Convention is shutting and dealers nervously count their receipts, but that's a long way to go and a large expenditure for you to MAYBE get a deal.

Want to go for sketches, autographs and panels? Different story altogether. The big US conventions cannot be beat.

Also been to a ton of Australian Conventions since 1989. Still turn up but I haven't bought a comic there in a long time - the Boards have spoiled me. Then why do I go? Catch up with friends.

If you are after something really specific - title/number/grade - ask Harley to bring it with him. He may not have it, but give him enough lead time he'll likely find it.

You know him, and you know he's easy to deal with. When sticker shock sets in tell yourself that Harley just saved you 14 hours each way in a plane, airfares, accommodation, meals and all the rest.

Oh, that Harley - such a martyr lol

I do exactly that with Harley after I met him at the 2012 Melbourne Con and yeah it does make it easier telling yourself the money you've saved by not travelling all that way :)

The short answer is both. You just have to find out which conventions to attend. Just because it claims to be a Comicon does not mean it is a good buying show. The amount you save in shipping can more than pay for your travel and for convention deals remember one word....bulk.

If you're looking for one book then stick to the Internet. If you have the budget and are looking for quantity then a true comic convention is hard to beat. (thumbs u

The short answer is both. You just have to find out which conventions to attend. Just because it claims to be a Comicon does not mean it is a good buying show. The amount you save in shipping can more than pay for your travel and for convention deals remember one word....bulk.

If you're looking for one book then stick to the Internet. If you have the budget and are looking for quantity then a true comic convention is hard to beat. (thumbs u

I enjoy comic cons to see people I normally don't see, and to collect autographs. I've bought books here and there but I prefer the internet when it comes to book buying.