• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Planet ComiCon - Kansas City, MO - 3/14/14-3/16/14

41 posts in this topic

First time I'll miss the show in the last 6 or 7 years. If it was the following weekend I'd fly up, but I can't make it this time.

When the show date was announced last year I was disappointed because it conflicts with other midwest conventions, but it looks like there will still be a decent turnout (comic dealers). Hope the new 3 day format works out too.

Please take pictures and post them after!

A few years back we had a handful of boardies gather up and head out to eat in one of the most memorable comic dinners I have ever had. We totally nerded it up and everyone was extremely fun to talk too.

Perhaps we can do this again and even make a game out of it. Everyone could bring a comic to exchange which each other or something. A story that you thought was amazing you want someone else to read and luckily get a story back you have not read...

Just throwing some ideas out there.

(thumbs u

I actually have reservations for 9 people @ http://carmenscafekc.com/ on Saturday night. It's an amazing italian hole in the wall. What a coincidence ;)

A few years back we had a handful of boardies gather up and head out to eat in one of the most memorable comic dinners I have ever had. We totally nerded it up and everyone was extremely fun to talk too.

Perhaps we can do this again and even make a game out of it. Everyone could bring a comic to exchange which each other or something. A story that you thought was amazing you want someone else to read and luckily get a story back you have not read...

Just throwing some ideas out there.

(thumbs u

I actually have reservations for 9 people @ http://carmenscafekc.com/ on Saturday night. It's an amazing italian hole in the wall. What a coincidence ;)

If you don't mind my artist and I crashing the party than I would love to join everyone.

Dinner Saturday @ 8:30PM @ Carmen's Cafe (Menu)

(6307 Brookside Plaza Kansas City, Missouri 64113)

Current attendees

starpc

Open spot #2

Open spot #3

Open spot #4

Open spot #5

Open spot #6

Open spot #7

Open spot #8

Open spot #9

If you want to join just repost the list, and add your name in place of one of the open spots. I can try and get reservations for additional tables if there is enough interest.

Dinner Saturday @ 8:30PM @ Carmen's Cafe (Menu)

(6307 Brookside Plaza Kansas City, Missouri 64113)

Current attendees

starpc

whetteon

whetteon's artist

Open spot #4

Open spot #5

Open spot #6

Open spot #7

Open spot #8

Open spot #9

If you want to join just repost the list, and add your name in place of one of the open spots. I can try and get reservations for additional tables if there is enough interest.

Apologizes starpc, I will need to be home to my lovely wife at 6pm to help with the baby. What about a late lunch? Anyone? :grin:

I won't be there this year. I am doing Tupenny's and KOR's show in Indianapolis this weekend. Hopefully will see you guys next year.

BOO!!!!

See ya next year!

I'm going to the show for the first time. Is there usually a pretty good mix of books? I'm looking for Silver age Marvel and Bronze DC mainly.

I think you will be able to find some good books - I'd like to see more Gold, but everything else is well represented. There are quite a few comic dealers/collectors that set up and make their only convention appearance in KC (at least that's how it's been for the past several years). Also some great regulars too - Leroy mentioned that he's got a lot of new stuff.

Many dealers will probably have some more key/expensive books in boxes behind their tables, so definitely ask if you don't immediately see what you are looking for.

So I blanked on meeting any boardies by Starpc, JJ and lhcomics. Plenty of room in the hall. A couple of surprise artists that must've been late additions cause they weren't on the list: Bill Amend and Don Rosa. Saw DMC bust out Walk This Way and It's Tricky. Pretty awesome.

Got an amazing DD sketch from Darwyn Cooke who was just as nice as nice could be. He also signed several books for me with head sketches from time to time. Got some books signed by Tim Sale and Tony Moore who were also both very pleasant. Too bad Rick Remender cancelled.

My general impression from this weekend is that EVERY dealer in on the Copper Age train. Books that just a year ago you would find in boxes ($1/$3/$5 or otw) were all on the wall: NTT 44, NTT 2, XFactor 6/24. Same for every "TV" book: Preacher 1, WD 53, I, Zombie, etc.

Not a lot of nicer SA or even BA books outside of Leroy Harper and a couple of other dealers. Forget about much GA other than Leroy. In fact, I would say that lhcomics had the best variety and prices in the whole place.

Overall, though, a fun show. If you're in downtown KC, I recommend Art of Pizza to eat. If you're at the Marriott downtown, plan 15 minutes or more for elevators to take you downstairs during anything resembling a peak time.

Leroy was by far the big man of the show this year. Silver age keys were few and far between, while Copper was out in force. Shoppers were looking for deals on the New52, with lots of interest in books that are getting movie and tv buzz.

Would have liked to seen some more concise booth placement for the comic vendors, but it was nice to have so much space devoted to the attendees. Made traffic flow much better than 2013.

Friday and Saturday were much stronger for sales than Sunday for us, but like most every vendor I talked with, sales were on par with or beyond expectations.

This is my big show for the year, anxiously awaiting the 2015 show after the success of Planet 2014!