• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Story behind this OA page?

10 posts in this topic

I just acquired a nice looking Bronze Age page with minor staining on the top left corner. The page is the splash on page 1 from The Super Heroes 46, from the UK, does anyone know the story behind this page/issue? The dealer claimed it was penciled by Dave Hunt, yet the credits on my splash page and Comic Vine suggest otherwise. Can someone please provide me with further insight on who penciled and inked the page. I'm hoping it was Starlin and Sinnott. As well, if the issue was a reprint of stories from the US, which comic is this page from and how does that affect this page, e.g. duplicate, photocopy, ...?

2276227-sh46.jpg

7a9f4167-2021-4f85-870a-ee50758ff719.jpg

9f427f71-2b46-4753-bc91-523a9c682bd6.jpg

I found this image from Marvel Feature Presents: The Thing and The Incredible Hulk.

64532_20060927074421_large.jpg

Very similar to the other image, with slight variations.

MF11-0004.jpg

I would assume Dave would get credit somewhere, but even the site his website refers people to, to see his body of work doesn't reference him working on this issue.

Many of the UK reprints had new splash pages drawn by guys like Dave Hunt or Dave Wenzil. I am not really sure why they did that. There are several Avengers reprints that I have seen with redrawn splash pages.

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch%2Easp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Davengers%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCA&id=816489

not cockrum

i have other examples on my computer but no idea how to post the images. lol.

You should just ask the person you are buying it from.. lol

its drawn by DAVE HUNT!

i got fooled by this also with UK covers and splashes when i first got into this hobby.

For whatever reason..in the 1970s... for all of the marvel UK books which reprinted marvel books........they would redraw covers...(ot all but some)....with various artists like larry lieber, Steven Stiles, Pablo Marcos, and Ron Wilson redrawing similar covers to the printed american covers just a few years earlier..but also....a majority of the page 1 splash pages would be redrawn by artists..but they would still put the orignal artists name on the stats on the new redrawn splash pages.

not sure why they did this..but they did.

this splash was drawn by Dave Hunt...(i personally thoguht he was an incredible inker for martvel in the 1970s by the way) He drew an interesting Tyrannosaurus Rex on back in blue pencil on back of this splash.... and the dave hunt ink stanp is on back of the splash also.

hope this info helps :)

Mike (Romitaman) Burkey

On these British reprint covers/splashes you will usually find the initials of the pencillers and inkers. Likely on the back you'll find the initials DH. It's fun trying to decipher who the initials belong to sometimes. You might even get lucky. If you find one from JR, you may have found some of John Romita Jr.'s first pieces of artwork for Marvel - that's where he got his start!