• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginning of silver age for Batman

11 posts in this topic

Overstreet states: #103 for Batman, #236 for Detective.

I'm sure there could be some debate on these issue dates.

Using Oct. 56 cover dates strikes me as a lazy way of deciding that a book is the first silver age issue, but with the Batman/Detective books it's as good as any, as there really isn't any clear change in the the character until the "new look" comes along in 1964.

Really any place from the first code issue to the first 12¢ issue is just as legitimate. Personally, I like Detective #225 and Batman #92 as good places to start, as both Martian Manhunter and Ace the bat-hound seem more Silver than Gold to me. If you don't care about MM, then Detective #233 ( first Batwoman) also works.

Overstreet states: #103 for Batman, #236 for Detective.

I'm sure there could be some debate on these issue dates.

Using Oct. 56 cover dates strikes me as a lazy way of deciding that a book is the first silver age issue, but with the Batman/Detective books it's as good as any, as there really isn't any clear change in the the character until the "new look" comes along in 1964.

Really any place from the first code issue to the first 12¢ issue is just as legitimate. Personally, I like Detective #225 and Batman #92 as good places to start, as both Martian Manhunter and Ace the bat-hound seem more Silver than Gold to me. If you don't care about MM, then Detective #233 ( first Batwoman) also works.

Yes.

Much appreciated for your opinions.

I have a follow-up question. I heard that Batman was revamped several times in wikipedia. I heard it was campy at the time of 60s with the tv show, and later changed to go back to its roots sometime in the 70s. Roughly, what Batman/Detective issue would that be?

Much appreciated for your opinions.

I have a follow-up question. I heard that Batman was revamped several times in wikipedia. I heard it was campy at the time of 60s with the tv show, and later changed to go back to its roots sometime in the 70s. Roughly, what Batman/Detective issue would that be?

Dunno the EXACT issue, but it started to darken when Adams started back on the title in the early 200s. I wanna say around issue 217.

Actually, when I was younger and reading Batman on a regular basis, I noticed a sudden change from the camp that resulted from the TV show to the more serious and dark side of the character once Frank Robbins took over the strip in the later 1960s. The show had been cancelled and I believe DC wanted to move in another direction and Robbins, though nearly forgotten today, was a big hit with fans of the Dark Knight. Just my 2c

If I were to attempt a SA run of Batman, I would start with # 100....... although for simplicity's sake I will consider the CCA stamp as the actual beginning of the Silver Age...... the change was industry wide and quite dramatic in it's effect on content. Attributing it to Showcase 4 has it's merits.... if all one collects is superhero books.... but superheros are only the tip of the iceberg. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I didn't realize Frank Robbins did Batman...as a kid, I really didn't like his artwork on Marvels The Invaders and Captain America, although I really liked the stories, so they remain some of my favorites from the time.

Was his work on Batman much different? I can't imagine a Robbins Batman looking appealing...