• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Market for Harvey Black Cat Comics? Best method for selling?

6 posts in this topic

Hello All,

In response to an ad I placed, I received an email from a guy who has about 50 issues of the Harvey Black Cat Comics/Black Cat Mystery series from 1946 (1,2, 6,8,10, 12, 15 - 28 (inclusive), 30-45, 46-49, 51-56, and 59-63). I believe all are raw. Issues 1 and 2 are supposedly file copies. The rest run from "fair-good" to "VG-fine". He has a few other G.A. comics, but it sounds like the only ones that might have any significant value would be one or more copies of Firehair.

The guy is having health issues and is looking to unload them. He would prefer to sell them as a lot.

I'm just a small time collector, and only recently got back into the hobby after a 20 year absence. Therefore, I'm a little over my head here. At this stage, I haven't even spoken with the guy or seen his books, but before I do so, I was hoping to get some guidance. Specifically, I was hoping you folks might be able to tell me:

1. What the demand is for these books

2. Whether it would be worthwhile to submit the books to CGC (at least the file copies)

3. What the best method for sale would be (sale to dealer, online auction, etc.)

4. How I should get involved (if at all). That is, if there is a decent demand for these books, should buy them? Offer to sell them online and take a cut?

Thanks in advance for the help!

1-28 are a slow sell since they are all Black Cat superhero. #29 gets a bit more action since it is the last superhero issue.

30-53 would sell quickly at the right price, #50 is hot.

54-63 are slow sells since these are the post-code books.

In low to mid-grade, they should cost much or sell for much. You might be able to flip them on the boards in the sales forum. Someone else might be better able to give you a "percent of guide" they ought to sell for.

What Cheetah said. Too bad the 50 isn't there. That one always sells for a good buck.

If you are thinking of making him an offer, you may want to have a look at completed auctions on eBay or the archives at ha.com (mostly slabs) to get ballpark estimates of what these books might sell for. You may also want to ask him for details on what GA comics he has.