• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Preacher's Ending: Classic or Cop-out? *spoilers*

16 posts in this topic

*spoilers*

I was a rabid Preacher fan back in the mid-late 90's before I dropped my comic habit in college. I just bought the second half of the series from an ebay seller and reread the whole run this week (finishing the last 12 issues last night).

Anyway, I thought the ending was great at first, but it didn't quite fit what came before. I think if there was ever a story that needed an ending involving honor, sacrifice, betrayal and death, it was Preacher. Now, obviously it would have sucked if the series had ended with Cass blowing up for no real reason and Jesse getting his head blown off by Starr, but really, the final arc is called Alamo. I was kinda hoping that the three heroes would go down fighting together.

The whole story is about Jesse's character and his macho, stand up guy attitude, and so on. For 60 issues all he can talk about is confronting God face to face, but then in the final battle, he has to resort to a set-up ploy to get God in a position to be taken down by the Saint of Killers while Cass's scheme gets both of them resurrected. It's definitely cool to have a big double cross, and it fits Cassidy's character, but Jesse's plan was more Constantine than Custer.

I will say though that the Jess/Cass fight was great and Cassidy's redemption was a nice (if somewhat Vaderesque) subplot. Either way, I absolutely loved the series and would rank it (a somewhat distant) second to Sandman as the best limited/ongoing (you know what I mean) series of all time.

Any other fans of the series out there? hi.gif

hi.gif

Loved the series. I don't think I've ever been so pissed at any comic as when Cass betrayed Jesse and went after Tulip. mad.gif

I understand what you mean about the ending falling a little flat. I think it just has to do with the fact that the first 40+ issues are some of the wildest, best comics you'll ever read. I'm glad that Jesse survived though. He was the baddest hombre there is (like his idol, John Wayne). And while Wayne died in some of his movies, the "good guy" usually prevailed. Ennis wrote the story with his impression of the American Western in mind (I think it's in the frist or second trade intro where Ennis discusses his ideas). Jesse was the good guy, Tulip was his girl. They both had to make it. Cass got his redemption. And God (the "bad guy) got what was coming to him.

Killer series and highest possible recommendation. thumbsup2.gif

Still looking for art pages from the series if anybody can help out (and not the left-overs on Moy's site please grin.gif)

I definitely agree that it's cool to see all the main characters ride off into the sunset. Cass was one of my favorite characters in comics before I read the second half of the series. I actually do still like him but it was nice to see him get the 893censored-thumb.gif kicked out of him by Jesse.

And yes, all of Albert Moy's pages are total [#@$%!!!]. The most expensive page he has is of Hoover lying on a bench sucking his thumb 27_laughing.gif

As far as endings go, I think I liked Transmet's better. What I appreciate about them is they both ended naturally and purposefully. Too often books end because of poor sales with rushed or fabricated wrap-up storylines, which takes alot away from the drama/suspense.

I believe Transmet (or Miracleman) will be the next stop on my catch up reading tour, so please dont elaborate on the ending 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Transmet and miracleman are both amazing. I'd suggest starting with Transmet since, apparently, Miracleman is going to be continued (and presumably reprinted) by Marvel next year, so availability of reading material will be much better at that point.

Yeah, that's why I've been holding off on Miracleman for the past year. I'd much rather spend $40 on new Marvel TPB's than $250 on an original run. I think I'll go order Transmet now...

Ares - Yep, the Saint of Killers takes out all the angels, walks right into heaven, caps God, and goes to sleep (or dies?) on God's throne.

Yeah, that's why I've been holding off on Miracleman for the past year. I'd much rather spend $40 on new Marvel TPB's than $250 on an original run. I think I'll go order Transmet now...

Transmet was great, although a the middle of the series was a little ho-hum compared to the front end. Could be b/c I read the first 4 trades back to back, but had to wait for the subsequent trades to come out (a little over a year for those to come out). You'll dig it.

And, speaking of Miracleman....has anybody heard if Marvel will reprint the entire Miracleman run all at once (either a few trades or a supreme collected edition?). Will he be reverted back to Marvelman?

And, how do you all feel the trades will affect the back issue prices on Miracleman. I've discussed this with my shop owner, and he thinks the reprints (trades) will drop the prices on back issues, similar to what happened with Preacher. I feel the opposite; that the back issue demand will increase after those that get to read the trades will want the originals. Thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I feel the opposite; that the back issue demand will increase after those that get to read the trades will want the originals. Thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The tough ones will remain tough and in demand, the easy ones will be even cheaper.

I feel the opposite; that the back issue demand will increase after those that get to read the trades will want the originals. Thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The tough ones will remain tough and in demand, the easy ones will be even cheaper.

100% agreed. You wont be finding #15 in a discount bin any time soon. I think the value of the 1st print trades (like the insanely expensive Olympus) will be crushed though.