• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #1: Why so costly in high grade?

42 posts in this topic

It's a reprint title that isn't worth a whole lot. The numbers make sense to me. (shrug)

Spoken as someone who neither understands nor appreciates the uniqueness of a newsprint quality reprint . . . :grin:

I guess I'll have to spell it out, there have not been a lot of submissions of this comic to CGC because the title is not worth a lot. There are tons of books that fall into this same category. Once the comic starts achieving a certain level of demand, then you'll see the CGC census numbers move up.

But I know you know this.

And for the record, I like this comic just fine.

That's cool, but just let me spell it out . . . A #1 BA Marvel Superhero Title from 1974 with 74 total submissions. :sumo:

And for the record, one of my all-time favorite books is a reprint title. :grin:

I'll even bet you can guess which one. :gossip:

Human Torch? (shrug)

It's a reprint title that isn't worth a whole lot. The numbers make sense to me. (shrug)

And the only reason there are even that many submissions is that the issue is probably on some "1970's #1" Registry set.

There are lots of "rare in HG" reprint titles that have lower sub rates than this - no one cares until it's on the Registry and their OCD takes over for "moar points".

Spoken as someone who neither understands nor appreciates the uniqueness of a newsprint quality reprint . . . :grin:

I guess I'll have to spell it out, there have not been a lot of submissions of this comic to CGC because the title is not worth a lot. There are tons of books that fall into this same category. Once the comic starts achieving a certain level of demand, then you'll see the CGC census numbers move up.

But I know you know this.

And for the record, I like this comic just fine.

That's cool, but just let me spell it out . . . A #1 BA Marvel Superhero Title from 1974 with 74 total submissions. :sumo:

And for the record, one of my all-time favorite books is a reprint title. :grin:

I'll even bet you can guess which one. :gossip:

Human Torch? (shrug)

lol:insane:

If I were going for a Human Torch comic, I agree with an earlier poster, I'd probably spend the money on the original Strange Tales comic these stories came from or on a Marvel Team Up 1 (1972.) (shrug)

Well, the lead story only, to be precise. And an ST #101 would cost significantly more in the same grade, whichever grade you choose. :grin:

Ya, my Men at of War number 1 at 9.6 looks rare, but that's just because, I assume, people aren't that interested in submitting it. Yeah, of, I said of all along!

lol A nice book to have, but your right, there's no $$$ motivation to slab HG copies.

Eh? 1977 vs 1974?

Exactly, 1975 is a big line in the sand between common and uncommon BA.

Educate me. Why is that?

1976-77 was the start of wide availability of protective supplies like comic bags/boards, more comic shops opened up, and this was the time that lots of "old comics sell for $$$$" articles were published, driving current issues speculation to unheard of heights. Whitman multi-packs also hit major retailers and Star Wars changed the biz forever.

That's why 76-77 had such a wild array of new titles, that all sold high for the #1 "collectors edition" issue, but petered out quickly and were all cancelled.

So who would win? How would one of them even hurt the other one? Conundrum!

Doesn't Johnny "go nova" in that issue, which burns out the original Human Torch?

And that story was only created (at the last minute) just to keep the original HT copyright active in Marvel's greedy little paws, and not let it go back to the original creator Carl Burgos.

And to rub even more salt in the wound, when Mr Burgos died, not a mention was made in a single Marvel comic. :sorry:

I was just browsing through some threads and saw this.

JC, this is why you are so valuable to this forum.

You may people off at times, whether intentional or accidental, but your knowlege of comic history is amazing. Keep posting man, If we ever bump heads in a thread, know that Ill respect you afterwards! :banana:

Yes, repeating stories from best selling books is invaluable to those of you who can't bother reading anything but comics, I suppose.

Hey, I read and remember, so sue me. :sumo:

And I knew the story about Marvel using the original Human Torch to keep the copyright long ago, and only took that part about "Burgos's death not being noted" from a "best-selling book".