• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the sudden increase in interest in the Silver Surfer?

32 posts in this topic

I haven't noticed any particular bump for either of those books. If anything the surrounding issues of FF are catching up to the 48-50 run.

I agree. The Inhumans and Black Panter issues are the ones that have been picking up over the past two years. Silver Surfer has been moderately climbing.

Right now most SA and BA 2nd or 3rd tier keys/1st Apps/#1s are spiking. Look at Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel, as an example. Heck, even books like Dr. Strange #169 and Dr. Strange #1 have taken big leaps after the ST #110 run up. Right now it almost pays to buy any 1st App/#1 that has not taken off yet on a spec play.

Watching the Winter Olympics tonite...thinking what a bidding war countries would pursue on making the Surfer their citizen. Surely he would win like ALL the gold medals of every ski sport. Probably even win the hockey as 1 versus 6... :insane::o

Right now most SA and BA 2nd or 3rd tier keys/1st Apps/#1s are spiking. Look at Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel, as an example. Heck, even books like Dr. Strange #169 and Dr. Strange #1 have taken big leaps after the ST #110 run up. Right now it almost pays to buy any 1st App/#1 that has not taken off yet on a spec play.

The rise of some books just because they have a #1 on the cover can be bizarre. This is epitomised by Iron Man #1 - a 1968 issue which is plentiful (2 9.9s, 27 9.8s, and 64 9.6s) and what appearance of Iron Man?

Watching the Winter Olympics tonite...thinking what a bidding war countries would pursue on making the Surfer their citizen. Surely he would win like ALL the gold medals of every ski sport. Probably even win the hockey as 1 versus 6... :insane::o

No doubt! :insane:

The rise of some books just because they have a #1 on the cover can be bizarre. This is epitomised by Iron Man #1 - a 1968 issue which is plentiful (2 9.9s, 27 9.8s, and 64 9.6s) and what appearance of Iron Man?

No disagreement, except that in the grand scheme of things, I don't consider this (2 9.9s, 27 9.8s, and 64 9.6s) "plentiful."

I really haven't noticed a bump either. I just picked up a SS 1 CGC 7.5 for $420. In my opinion, this is one of the most under-priced books there is.

Bought an SS1 9.6 white $4060 two months ago.... Nice centered copy too. Someone did offer me 20% over GPA on a SS4 in 9.8 white a few weeks ago though. If I put my FF48 9.8 up anywhere I doubt I'll get what I paid in 2011.

Not sure what to think of it, but overall there seems to be downward pressure on them.

I really haven't noticed a bump either. I just picked up a SS 1 CGC 7.5 for $420. In my opinion, this is one of the most under-priced books there is.

Bought an SS1 9.6 white $4060 two months ago.... Nice centered copy too. Someone did offer me 20% over GPA on a SS4 in 9.8 white a few weeks ago though. If I put my FF48 9.8 up anywhere I doubt I'll get what I paid in 2011.

Not sure what to think of it, but overall there seems to be downward pressure on them.

Whatever the case may be, SS 1 isnt sky rocketing or plummeting either. I think its awesome that you have a 9.6 :headbang:

For the record my interest in the book is not related to any movie hype - I am simply wondering why there has been a sudden increase in demand and steady price increases in CGC copies. I personally think this book is undervalued due to how great the character is.

That being said, I would love to see a movie with the Surfer in it, just so I am not left with the memory of the horrid appearance from the FF movie.

Do you think your question "sudden increase in interest" and price increase for FF48 and SS1 is based on perception? hm I just took a look at the GPA figures for several grades and they seem pretty steady for various grades for the last 10-12 years? (shrug) Doesn't appear that they have gone up much more than any other SA issues out there. There has been some higher priced purchases in some grades so far this year, but maybe those are the highs for the year. I think the prices should fall in line with other years as far as highs and lows.

:gossip: Maybe I'm just being optimistic because I still want an 8.0 or 8.5 copy! :eek:

You'll get one! Patience is the key, but be ready to move on it, if it shows up! I was waiting and waiting and waiting to get one, and one came along right in that range, and I got a great price on it. Unslabbed, and not as nicely centered as you're talking about, but still. . .

The Silver Surfer is a character I've always liked. One of my favorites as a kid, for sure. I'd like to get nice copies of the original series, especially #1 and 4.

Heck, even today, I thought I scored when I found almost all of the Thanos return issues from the second volume.