• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why the sudden increase in interest in the Silver Surfer?

32 posts in this topic

Besides being an awesome character, why is there a sudden increase in interest and price in Silver Surfer keys (mainly Silver Surfer 1 and FF48)? Please tell me there is a chance this character will get a movie re-boot from the disastrous FF4 movie?

I keep wondering why people seem to always think comics are getting, or should get more collected ONLY because of these movies. This is starting to become ridiculous, also considered the movies are a thing on their own.
I cannot stand it.

OMFG a sugar and spike movie buy buy buy.

There's a movie in 2099 possibly? BUY

Take your movie speculations and shove it. This is directed at all the movie driven "collectors".

For the record my interest in the book is not related to any movie hype - I am simply wondering why there has been a sudden increase in demand and steady price increases in CGC copies. I personally think this book is undervalued due to how great the character is.

That being said, I would love to see a movie with the Surfer in it, just so I am not left with the memory of the horrid appearance from the FF movie.

There once was a time where interest in a character or title was driven by what current books were coming out. When the big two would focus their might on a character, that character would live in the limelight and back issue demand would follow. It was similar to the move hype but less intense. It sill happens on occasion but with all of the renumbering going on it doesn't happen like it use to. It's been a while since there has been a solo Surfer series and I think people are buying now either in speculation or trying to beat the rush in a few months.

I keep wondering why people seem to always think comics are getting, or should get more collected ONLY because of these movies. This is starting to become ridiculous, also considered the movies are a thing on their own.
I cannot stand it.

OMFG a sugar and spike movie buy buy buy.

There's a movie in 2099 possibly? BUY

Take your movie speculations and shove it. This is directed at all the movie driven "collectors".

:signfunny:

Or perhaps because the Surfer is cool, always has been cool, and always will be cool . . . :grin:

Many of the nooobs to the comic marketplace aren't aware of the cyclical dips and peaks of the market. Buy low, sell high. :sumo:

For the record my interest in the book is not related to any movie hype - I am simply wondering why there has been a sudden increase in demand and steady price increases in CGC copies. I personally think this book is undervalued due to how great the character is.

That being said, I would love to see a movie with the Surfer in it, just so I am not left with the memory of the horrid appearance from the FF movie.

it's not directed towards you. Just annoys me when people harp about movie speculation. To each their own though. I'm sure

I annoy my share of boardies.

Or perhaps because the Surfer is cool, always has been cool, and always will be cool . . . :grin:

Many of the nooobs to the comic marketplace aren't aware of the cyclical dips and peaks of the market. Buy low, sell high. :sumo:

Imagine if the comic market would correct like the stock market did years ago. I bet a lot of the new users of this web site would stop posting, and leave the hobby. People are under the impression that a comic book can not decrease in value. lol:tonofbricks:

Do you think your question "sudden increase in interest" and price increase for FF48 and SS1 is based on perception? hm I just took a look at the GPA figures for several grades and they seem pretty steady for various grades for the last 10-12 years? (shrug) Doesn't appear that they have gone up much more than any other SA issues out there. There has been some higher priced purchases in some grades so far this year, but maybe those are the highs for the year. I think the prices should fall in line with other years as far as highs and lows.

:gossip: Maybe I'm just being optimistic because I still want an 8.0 or 8.5 copy! :eek:

Imagine if the comic market would correct like the stock market did years ago. I bet a lot of the new users of this web site would stop posting, and leave the hobby. People are under the impression that a comic book can not decrease in value. lol:tonofbricks:

Yeah, it kills me to hang in the modern thread, where they're talkin' $10 flips all day long. That probably works out to about $1.35/hour . . . :roflmao:

Do you think your question "sudden increase in interest" and price increase for FF48 and SS1 is based on perception? hm I just took a look at the GPA figures for several grades and they seem pretty steady for various grades for the last 10-12 years? (shrug) Doesn't appear that they have gone up much more than any other SA issues out there. There has been some higher priced purchases in some grades so far this year, but maybe those are the highs for the year. I think the prices should fall in line with other years as far as highs and lows.

:gossip: Maybe I'm just being optimistic because I still want an 8.0 or 8.5 copy! :eek:

Looking at the numbers more closely I guess it could be partly perception. Looking at GPA alone it appears that FF48 CGC 8.5 has increased from $738 in 2012 to $808 in 2013. It has a 12 month average of $858 and a 90 Day average of $904 with its most recent sale at $950. This seems like a pretty steady upward trend.

I think my perception is also partly skewed based on all of the recent ebay listings asking well above GPA numbers for both books.

Looking at the numbers more closely I guess it could be partly perception. Looking at GPA alone it appears that FF48 CGC 8.5 has increased from $738 in 2012 to $808 in 2013. It has a 12 month average of $858 and a 90 Day average of $904 with its most recent sale at $950. This seems like a pretty steady upward trend.

I think my perception is also partly skewed based on all of the recent ebay listings asking well above GPA numbers for both books.

But just looking at the High and Low sales for 8.5, it's pretty steady:

2014 - $1,050Hi $761Lo

2013 - $930Hi $730Lo

2012 - $910Hi $610Lo

2011 - $815Hi $545Lo

2010 - $791Hi $508Lo

2009 - $650Hi $420Lo

2008 - $811Hi $566Lo

2007 - $968Hi $555Lo

2006 - $801Hi $480Lo

2005 - $874Hi $418Lo

2004 - $860Hi $541Lo

2003 - $641Hi $456Lo

2002 - $870Hi $458Lo

When you compare other key 1st Appearances - Hulk #181 or ASM #129 - you'll see those books have also increased. So my comment earlier about perception is that it may appear that FF #48 is blowing up because you WANT one. Believe me, I do too. And there are plenty put up on ebay at crazy prices that don't sell. But it's nothing different than any other key. ;)

Movies have influenced the collector market for a lot of years. The biggest swing I ever saw in comics was in '89 with the batman movie but see it all the time in the toy collector market. The best part of that is the people who buy the stuff on a whim and then later sell for pennies on the dollar, you only have to be in the right place to pick them up. :)

Wish it would so I can finally buy some keys I need. :wishluck: