• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Venting my ebay frustration

41 posts in this topic

Ebay has been and probably always will be useless. Between shill bidding, deadbeat buyers, and overpricing it is worse today than ever before. jmho

It never was this bad. There was a time when ebay was a powerful tool for sellers. But then they started updating their pricing models and started to protect on the side of buyers as opposed to an unbiased approach to both buyers and sellers.

To be honest though, ebay's global presence still can't be beat.

Yep, happens all the time. Ignore & move on.

My lateset example is an X-Men book with an OSPG value of $75, my starting price is $25, and I got a message saying that if I lowered my price, the guy would bid on it. I happily stated that I set my starting price as low as I was willing to take, put him on my blocked list (didn't share here because it was kind of petty) and moved on.

:)

-slym

I hate to say it, but I don't really answer anyone's questions on eBay unless it's a very specific grading question or shipping policy question.

I figure that someone else will come along and buy it, before I need to put anymore sweat equity into a specific item I'm selling.

I also got tired of spending the time writing out a detailed response, and then having them not respond with at least a "OK thanks, maybe next time"..

You might want to be careful with that. If you ignore interested buyers it is not uncommon for them to buy one of your cheap books (if you have any listed) just so they can leave you negative feedback and low dsrs.

I hate to say it, but I don't really answer anyone's questions on eBay unless it's a very specific grading question or shipping policy question.

I figure that someone else will come along and buy it, before I need to put anymore sweat equity into a specific item I'm selling.

I also got tired of spending the time writing out a detailed response, and then having them not respond with at least a "OK thanks, maybe next time"..

You might want to be careful with that. If you ignore interested buyers it is not uncommon for them to buy one of your cheap books (if you have any listed) just so they can leave you negative feedback and low dsrs.

I think you've commented like this before. You have some vindictive buyers. Why would anyone waste their time? Most lowballers are well aware that is what they are.

For every low-ball offer, I get one that I'm willing to work with. Some people aren't reasonable, but you can be pretty sure that they're not going to buy your comic in the first place. It's not difficult to counter with a comment saying "This is the lowest I'm willing to go."

After I send that, I've had a few people come back with a lower offer and I decline.

One guy offered me $50 for the 3 ASM 361-363, 9.6, 9.6, 9.4

When I told him that it would cost me ~$70 for the transaction; grading, free shipping and fees... he came back with $55.

GFY

But I've also received reasonable offers and accepted them... so it's just part of doing business.

Yeah, I really hate doing work to sell my stuff. I'd rather people just throw money at me without having to do things like answer questions or be professional.

:roflmao:

yep i had one dude offer me $5 for a book listed at $20. I offer free shipping. I told him shipping would be $5 so I could just throw the book away and I'd be in the same spot plus I wouldn't have to go to the post office.

I rarely sell anything, but when I did, I was offered $150 for my WD # 1 signed by Kirkman and Moore. I would rather throw it in a pool before selling it to that guy.

hm wonder how much I could get for a WD1 water logged edition?

I don't autoblock lowballers. Sometimes if you open a dialogue with a polite response they still end up bidding or coming back with a more realistic offer. Just because they lowballed me doesn't make their money any less green to me.

If they keep barraging you with lowball offers, of course a block is in order.

I've messaged sellers to see if they would consider offers. But I would never insult or lowball them, rather I'd submit a decent offer. Basically, I'd just treat the seller the same way I'd want to be treated if I was selling a book.

Didn't I counter-offer with $6?

:whee:

i shipped-you didnt get?

That's it - time to open an eBay case!

:ohnoez:

-slym

buyer protection will cover you

I've messaged sellers to see if they would consider offers. But I would never insult or lowball them, rather I'd submit a decent offer. Basically, I'd just treat the seller the same way I'd want to be treated if I was selling a book.

i have sent $1 offers when someone has something ridiculous like ASM #112 for $4000

Just remember that everyone has different negotiating strategies. Try not to take any offer personally.

And also remember that the buyer doesn't know when a seller is holding out for top dollar or is willing to move quick.

I saw a book with a bin price of 200 with the make an offer option. I offered 90, he countered at 110 and I accepted. That lowball offer could just be a feeler to see what you counter at. Do you counter at 10% off, 20% off or more? It tells the buyer what the real bottom dollar is.

My 2c