• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading experts..last question..

7 posts in this topic

I am planning to buy a a Silver age key on a black cover

I don't have a picture of the back..

The front though what I see are two spine ticks that break color (it is very minimal and I can say that because of it the book no longer has a chance for a 9.8 but still a good chance for a 9.6

here are the graders notes

Spine Stress Lines Breaks Color

Full Top Back Cover Lite Bend

Now currently it is a 9.4. It was slabbed last July so I'm kinda assuming that it was pressed (since most currently slabbed books are)

but the note about a full top back cover lite bend is a little sign that the book was not pressed. If I have it pressed, would you think the full top back cover lite bend might be fixed? I know we all dont have pics of the back but based on the description of grader notes it is the type of problem that can be fixed with a press right?

And correct me if im wrong but 2 spine ticks that break color will stop it from a 9.8 but still has a chance for a 9.6 right?

Any input would be truly appreciated. thanks

This isn't directed to insult anyone but I'm using this thread as a starting point. I've noticed a lot of relatively new board members lately posting relatively easy to answer questions. While people don't mind answering questions and being helpful there is usually a certain level at which point they start being questions that are tougher to answer.

Questions like "how do I submit my books to CGC", "how do I fill out the form", "how would you grade this" or "how much should I pay" for common books are questions that are all relatively easy to answer with either a few clicks of a mouse or a phone call to CGC. Those are what I would call ground level questions. If everyone asked every ground level question they had the forum would just be a large FAQ for 1000's of people.

Rather than starting a thread every time you have a thought come to mind, you should learn to use the search function or Google first. Most of the answers are already here many times over.

I'm quoting myself below to show that clearly people don't mind answering questions but I'm also showing that most easy questions have already been answered in their appropriate forums.

This question was answered in the Grading and Restoration Forum

Link

...it's important to always remember that it is all about the size and impact of the defect on both the eye appeal and the readability of the book.

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular. I've just noticed a lot of 'how does this ___________ defect affect the grade' and thought I'd put this out there.

Almost 100% of the time you're going to need to post clear and thorough pics for people to get an idea of how the defect affects the book.

You can have a stain, rip or crease on a book that will grade out a 9.4/9.6 and you can have the same on a book that is going to grade a 3.0. It's always going to depend on how much the defect affects the book.

A tiny stain on an otherwise 9.8 book could just limit it to 9.4/9.6 while a water logged book might grade out in the VG range.

If it goes through the interior pages as well as the cover it's going to affect the grade greatly.

If it is dark or eye catching, it's going to affect the grade of the book more than if it's small and insignificant or light.

If it's on the inside of the cover it's going to affect the book less than if it's on the outside of the cover.

Stuff like that....

Anyhow, hope this helps.

Blowie, where's that template for the Google search so that everyone can copy and save it somewhere for future searches?

:preach:

Blowie, where's that template for the Google search so that everyone can copy and save it somewhere for future searches?

:preach:

Got this from the Helpful Guide for Noobs thread stickied at the top of the page. 4th post in.

Just type in a few key words in the Google search and you should get a zillion answers.

:headbang:

This isn't aimed at anyone in particular but is there a date set for the Buffalo spring show? I've missed the last few...

:D

I wouldn't ask Blowie the date.

:whistle: