• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Tales of suspense #97 & Strange Tales #154

10 posts in this topic

I know they're phone pics sorry my scanner isn't working.

I paid around $44 for the Tales of suspense #97 the seller said it was around an 8.5

hs4bb5.jpga2vwoh.jpg2iuyrrk.jpg2ec0ysh.jpg5bs6xx.jpg

Strange Tales #154 I paid around $47 the seller said it was an 8.0

2448g3l.jpg2mnki6p.jpg25f6ow9.jpg2da0huv.jpgz69f9.jpg

From what you can see in the pics did I over pay or is there money to be made?

Should I just return them and get a refund?

no way that staple damage gets the TOS book close to a 8.5

seems like the general attitude about online sales is to expect the grading to be inflated. That said, are you happy w the books?

Yeah I knew to expect a little over grading

they're nice but not sure I'd be able to get my money back fast enough

What you just said is what I was thinking when I got the book

ToS #97 = 7.5 IMHO! (Spine damage)

ST #154 = 7.0 IMHO! (Edge crease and wear)

Having said that both books present very well and the bottom line is whether you are happy with them? I can't comment on whether or not you've overpaid for your books, sorry.smiley-gen130.gif

Hard to tell, but based on the flaws evident, both appear to fall a little short of the dealer assigned grade, though not ridiculously so.

Based on ebay prices, The TOS price would be fair for an actual 8.0--8.5 raw copy, and the ST should be less than $30 in raw VF. I'm not just going by listing grades, but books that at least appear to be VF or better from the images.

Added thoughts:

If the TOS is nice and glossy in hand and the upper spine is the only issue, I'd probably keep it for the price as it looks to have superior page quality, the Strange Tales I'd be less happy with, as for me the top and bottom right creasing keep it below 8.0 IMHO.

I think they are even lower in my view. They look great at first so it's one of those presents well but technically ...

TOS looks like spine is missing paper near the 12 and the "ind". 6.0?

ST looks like dust shadow along bottom back. 6.0? I can't recall how harsh CGC is on dust/sun shadow but I thought it was almost as bad as H2o.

Still nice books for sure. Just doubtful you'll be seeing much of a return if that's the goal. If you're keeping them, you did fine.

I think they are even lower in my view. They look great at first so it's one of those presents well but technically ...

TOS looks like spine is missing paper near the 12 and the "ind". 6.0?

ST looks like dust shadow along bottom back. 6.0? I can't recall how harsh CGC is on dust/sun shadow but I thought it was almost as bad as H2o.

Still nice books for sure. Just doubtful you'll be seeing much of a return if that's the goal. If you're keeping them, you did fine.

Good catch on the missing paper on the spine - hard to tell, but it does look that way.

Still it wouldn't drop it down to a 6.0

As for CGC and dust shadow, if anything they are too lenient, at least with GA in my experience, I've see 9.0s with faint shadowing, and possibly higher grades, but I doubt anyone would slab either book. The creasing on the top and bottom right edge is a more significant flaw.