• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Boards from Original Factory *piece of history*
6 6

82 posts in this topic

I'm entranced by this thread, but I'm really curious.

Do you have any more info about the facility where these were installed?

Original post is edited now, but I believe you said these were out of a Marvel factory in Yuma, AZ?

First I've ever heard of something out west, what did it produce? Or was this a west coast distribution center, or just what? Or is there a Yuma on the east coast which with I'm not familiar?

If you want to sell through, just post pix, these are waaaay cool, and folks will pay the freight happily to snag a favorite.

Are they blown up reproductions of actual panels, or artist's recreations, and if the latter, any idea who spent days and days painting up a factory wall?

Details, we need details!

I'd be interested in knowing more, too - just for the sake of provenance. I'm excited to see these in-hand to see what the production method was. I am assuming it may be silkscreen as -at the time - that was the only realistic way of producing large one- off graphics like that. It would have been costly, but do-able.

Any info on the Yuma facility, or a book reference of it would be great, if anyone can chime in on that other than the OP.

Also, I'd be interested in the Silver Surfer piece, too.

Ive been researching this all night. This morning I called the person in Yuma who acquired these. His story was the same as he told me before. They were out of a "marvel factory" in Yuma, Arizona that was closed in 1985. The placed was gutted apparently and the gentlemen who did the demolishing had the foresight to save these pieces. One extra bit of information I was given, was that he also had PALLETS of comics too but they were all the same issue, so they left them.... I was lead to believe it was warehouse or printing source. Unfortunatly, unless someone was there in 1985, I cant be sure.

I do know that the pieces would have cost thousands originally to do because of the size and quality. I have seen whats left of them and there were enough to cover multiple walls. These weren't some cheap pieces thrown together for a collector or mom and pop comic book shop. Please judge by the pictures. These things are huge!! They have been sitting in storage for years, some are worn, please judge condition. SOme are better that others.

I don't want to mis lead anyone. I bought these with the exact information I am giving you. If I had documentation, I would be asking a lot more than what I am.....

I plan on being on this board for a while and do not want to sell or have any dealings that would sully my name. Like most of you, Im just a regular guy who liked comics, Im not a store. So, please judge for yourself. I will give anyone who bought one of these a chance to recant, I have no problems with that. At the very least, these are incredible pieces of art, conversation starters, and have a crazy amount of potential (refinishing, repurposing into displays, tables, etc.)

All this being said, I am going to post what I took out of storage so you can take a look. I just want to share what I have. I cant price them because of shipping costs. Ill get that this week..... Like I said, Im not a store so this takes a back seat to real work...

Please take a look and discuss, these are really cool, and Im happy to share them :)

CGC placed for size comparision!!!

Edited by Bobbyusc

:applause:

This is a sweet opportunity for boardies - thanks for your hard work in bringing these to everyone! I have no problem being patient while you sort this stuff through - thanks for tracking down the additional info!

Marvel's reproduction warehouse was based in Yuma.

That's where they got the stats and kept the materials used for reprints (foreign and domestic) including Marvel Masterworks.

I am looking for an exact date they were in that location, but it looks to be at least into the early-mid 90's.

Wow Chris thanks for the extra bit of info which helps confirm that the story could be true and that these most likely came out of that Marvel warehouse.

I’m amazed at how you seem to know a little bit about most everything !

Looking at these pieces … they do look aged as far as the wood they are on and doesn’t look like something recently created. Also the explanation of why they were created makes sense.

Thank you for that

Marvel's reproduction warehouse was based in Yuma.

That's where they got the stats and kept the materials used for reprints (foreign and domestic) including Marvel Masterworks.

I am looking for an exact date they were in that location, but it looks to be at least into the early-mid 90's.

Thank you for that! I know these are legit but it is nice to get some real information to back this up

Wow Chris thanks for the extra bit of info which helps confirm that the story could be true and that these most likely came out of that Marvel warehouse.

I’m amazed at how you seem to know a little bit about most everything !

Looking at these pieces … they do look aged as far as the wood they are on and doesn’t look like something recently created. Also the explanation of why they were created makes sense.

Some of these panels as wall paintings seem very familiar. I've seen pictures of Marvel offices before where the walls were painted like this. I can't find them now, of course. lol

If these images came from those offices they would have been the actual walls that were later cut apart and framed.

I've been searching for those images of the offices but no luck so far.