• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EBAY SELLER WARNING: atomic-age-man

33 posts in this topic

I can understand paull's frustration at not being able to return the book - that's the problem with the general policy on Ebay of no returns on CGC books - all defects should be listed clearly so as to minimize disappointment. However if the no return policy is clearly stated then it is encumbant upon the buyer to make sure the book doesn't have what would be for them a "fatal flaw". That doesn't excuse rudeness on the seller's part, but this sounds more worthy of a nuetral than negative feedback offense - though if the seller is likely to retaliate with a neg., there's little point in that.

As paull was not burned outright and has had the opportunity to vent - I suggest it's time to move on. He has every reason to not want to deal with the seller in the future, and has dutifully warned the board of his experience - fortunately it sounds as if most of his experiences on ebay have been more positive.

I recently made a raw purchase from this same seller, and while I thought his own assessment of the grade was slightly generous, it was not outside the realm of possibility. Fortunately the scan was large enough and the description thorough, so I was able to make my own judgement before bidding, and found the reserve to be within the amount I was willing to pay based on the grade I thought the book deserved - and was quite happy with my purchase.

paull, I hope you are able to at least break even on a resale of the book - if the loose centerfold was considered in the grade, does it at least look nicer than a VG+?

This has been mentioned at least a hundred times on these boards, along with several other feedback tips/strategies. For example, log into your Ebay account through Ebay Taiwan and you can leave much longer feedback responses (more characters allowed) then through Ebay US. thumbsup2.gif

893blahblah.gif

[middlefinger]jIj[/middlefinger]

rjpb, the Beware Terror Tales #1 is definitely a nice looking book, probably a 5.0 or 5.5 without the detached centerfold. I would be thrilled to keep it if not for this flaw. Books with detached covers and centerfolds drive me crazy.... I want to read them without having to worry that it's going to fall apart in my hands.

I'll list the book on eBay at some point with a minimum starting at about 40% less than I paid and see what happens.

I agree with rjpb... what I discussed here certainly did that seller more damage than a single negative feedback.

As for good eBayers, "monkeyhouse-entertainment" just sold me a nice pre-code issue of Horrific #3 and it was exactly as described and well packed.

Your last comment makes no sense. How are you going to read the book when it is SLABBED????? If you were buying Raw I fully understand. Do you intend to free the book and read it? If so WHy are you buying slabbed in the first place?

It sounds to me like this is just a serious case of buyers remorse, or that you have a touch of OCD

Are you clueless? If I was going to keep the book, I was going to remove it from the slab and read it. When I received it and saw that it had "detached centerfold" on the label, I asked for a refund. Since that request was denied by the unscrupulous seller, I'm going to sell it. Make any sense now?

Buyer's remorse??? This is the cheapest book that I've bought in six months!

Jmg, there are a number of reasons to buy golden age slabs even if the buyer plans to free the books.

1) It guarantees no restoration has been done on the book

2) It generally prevents an individual seller from misrepresenting the book and overgrading (Paull's case is an unusual exception, I admit)

3) Some GA books come around so infrequently that even if the buyer is looking for raw copies, he generally has to take what he can get.

There's nothing "OCD" about buying a slab and then freeing it. Quite the contrary. I'd counter that an OCD comic collector will never free his books from his plastic prison for fear of dropping that 4.5 to a 4.0 and decreasing it's "value."

Are you just out to antagonize or what?

Since he intended to read the book it makes perfest sense. that was not something that I saw in any of the previous correspondence.

I appologize for the OCD comment it was just based on the thought that someone would be so bothered by a hidden defect in something that they could never see and unless it was disclosed would never have known about that they could not even have the book in their collection.

This is only the fourth book I've bought in a slab, and each time I did, I bought paid the same amount that I would have paid with or without the slab. I don't pay extra for them. The book was (I thought) in the condition that I wanted, so I went for it.

Shrunk is right... the books come along very infrequently and you don't have a choice whether it's in plastic or not. Why this particular book was slabbed, I have no idea. I wouldn't have wasted my money.

paull - congrats on the Horrific #3 pick up!

I'm with you on the pointlessness of slabbing GA & pre-code books that are in less than 7.0 and/or worth less than $400. I've bought three 4.0-5.0 slabbed GA books in the $200-$400 range over the last couple of years and would have paid the same for raw copies of each in the same grades. Sure it's nice to know that there is no restoration, but I've noticed when it comes to buying VG+ and under books - especially Timelys - there seems to be little difference in the prices realized for unrestored and slightly restored copies of the same book.

Thanks, rjpb.... I'll post a pic of it in the Pre-Code Horror thread...

I bought a Mask Comics #2 in VG+ about two years ago that happened to be in a slab, but I would have paid the same with our without. Knowing it wasn't restored was a plus, though... especially with the black cover and ease of color touch.

I even bought a couple nice and desirable, slabbed books at _lower_ than guide prices. This includes a Weird Mysteries #2 and a copy of Terrors of the Jungle also... I don't know how they slipped through the cracks. Sometimes you get lucky.

Thanks, rjpb.... I'll post a pic of it in the Pre-Code Horror thread...

I bought a Mask Comics #2 in VG+ about two years ago that happened to be in a slab, but I would have paid the same with our without. Knowing it wasn't restored was a plus, though... especially with the black cover and ease of color touch.

I even bought a couple nice and desirable, slabbed books at _lower_ than guide prices. This includes a Weird Mysteries #2 and a copy of Terrors of the Jungle also... I don't know how they slipped through the cracks. Sometimes you get lucky.

Post 'em in the LB Cole thread!! thumbsup2.gif

Actually, I am quite surprised that this has not been mentioned before. This is probably the safest way to leave negative feedback without leaving the other person enough time to neg you in return.

You should check into this since it might also be possible to time it down to a particular hour or minute. Can't remember right now since it's been such a long time since I had to resort to doing it. Actually, maybe it was just before midnight.

This does not work.

I tried it with crooked Ebay seller "miamicomics" and he was still able to return a negative reply a few days after 90 had passed. There is a whole thread on these forums about this wacko by the way.

grin.gif