• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

do these grader notes suggest pressing would help?

29 posts in this topic

Ok, here we have a silver age comic, 9.0, with these grader notes. Would this likely get a bump from a pressing? Thanks for any help.

Spine stress line breaks color

Top spine small wear breaks color

Bottom spine small wear breaks color

Right bottom front cover small crease

Left bottom back cover crease

Pics/scans would help...

Well I'm sure all responders are outstanding citizens, but some readers could jump all over what I'm pointing to, so I must respectfully refrain from posting the specific book :)

Took me hours of research to identify a few candidates

Yeah, I figured the color breaks are there for good. The other two might go away and the creases that made the breaks. I guess the question is is that enough?

Even a one degree bump is huge here

My gut says probably no. Too many color breaking flaws. However, there is no way to be sure without seeing the book. (shrug)

No real way to know without looking at the book. It also depends what the grade is now and the era of the book. Lots of variables at play that cannot be confirmed without a good look at the book. If it is a book on eBay or on a consignment site it is understandable why you would not want to share.

so it's a book on the market that you are thinking of buying? (and pressing and resubbing)...

Spine stress line breaks color

Top spine small wear breaks color

Bottom spine small wear breaks color

Considering 3 out of 5 of your "defects" break color (which pressing doesnt help) I'd imagine it will not get a bump from pressing unless the other two creases are major (and it even says that one is small).

Also... do many people spend $$ on grader notes for books they are considering buying?

I could understand it on major purchases (thousands) on a key that you are buying online, but wonder how prevalent the practice is.

So, just curious, but for everyone saying it won't get a bump, does that mean that a couple "defects" really don't do anything to the grade? Whether those were there or not, it would still grade out a 9.0?

I find that hard to believe.

Could bump to a 9.2 or possibly a 9.4.

Aren't defects just that.... defects. Less defects = higher grade no?

Grader note usually very brief and general. It doesn’t review all the details of defects on the book to achieve such grade like how many creases, stresses, or the measurement of the defects. Those I believe is a big factor to determine the outcome of the grade.

Analyzing the two 'improvable' flaws the first one says 'small' crease. The second crease is on the Back Cover, which I think has less effect on the CGC grade. I imagine you can't see either of these in the scan. Does the book look like a 9.0, with the 3 visible flaws ?