• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Schomburg Rank Order Results Are In...

22 posts in this topic

My general observation is that the results are fairly close with the winner having only a 50% higher score than the last place. Run the poll in a different year with different participants and you could easily get a re-ordering, though it wouldn't surprise me if Suspense 3 remains on top most of the time.

I've not found Cap 3 all that exciting. The colors are muted compared to most of the other covers and the Red Skull image isn't iconic like the poorly drawn but far more compelling depiction on Cap 74. Cap 3 is a transitional artwork as Schomburg was shifting from his original more stately, simpler designs to the cluttered, dynamic eye-candy of his prime WWII covers.

I agree with you on the Cap #3, it was my #11 choice. Cool cover, but not worthy of being in the top ten, if it didn't have The Red Skull on it, it wouldn't have made it as far as it did. Cap #74 is not only the greatest Red Skull cover of the era, but IMHO, the best Timely cover period.

it's all about the figure poses and head shots for me. Cap 3 is nice but I don't like Caps pose and head art as much. Schomburg's evolution of drawing Cap was still new. More "prime" examples of excellent figure poses for Timelys are All Selects 1-2, Cap 33, USAs 8 & 10, and Torch 8. The Red skull and bondages, however, are drawn excellent on the Cap 3.

I've never been a Cap 74 cover fan for some reason. I like the Red Skull better on the 3.

I'm in love with his airbrushed covers. Heck, I'm chasing the Dear Beatrice Fairfax run! :P

Vision - take a few days of vaca off before starting another one of these! You earned it! ;)

Thanks pmknface! Indeed, I could use some zzz .

I had stood on the board sidelines for a while and figured it was time to contribute. It did take a lot of work but I have become much more familiar with Schomburg covers - like Beatrice Fairfax - and have met quite a few cool boardies in the process. Thanks for contributing your votes!