• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RECORD prices realized for Canadian Whites on CLINK!

76 posts in this topic

well hopefully you can acquire one soon Ryan (preferably an issue I have already :baiting: ). Good luck :)

Thanks Bronty… they are definitely elusive books. But I'm not super particular, as long as its relatively affordable. In other words, I may be screwed.

Who's buying these Canadian Whites? Is it mostly Canadian collectors, or are they becoming popular with US collectors as well? I like a few of the covers, but I don't really have any idea what they "should" sell for, so I was reluctant to bid aggressively on any of them. (I'm also not sure how scarce they actually are, since the demand for them seems to be relatively new.)

I was interested in the superior art of Wow Comics #1 Cgc 3.0 that sold for a whopping $1,600 +. Never seen a copy in Western Canada.

For those of you that don't know Allan, he's been buying and selling funny book treasures here on the west coast since the 1970s. I learn something new every time I speak with him.

Allan, in your long history of buying selling here on the west coast, how many whites would you say you've come across? In all my time, pre-Internet, I only ever saw one. Of course I have not been around as long as you wise sir.

Who's buying these Canadian Whites? Is it mostly Canadian collectors, or are they becoming popular with US collectors as well? I like a few of the covers, but I don't really have any idea what they "should" sell for, so I was reluctant to bid aggressively on any of them. (I'm also not sure how scarce they actually are, since the demand for them seems to be relatively new.)

The traditional core group is definitely Canadians . Whether any new blood is American or Canadian I don't know, but it stands to reason that those with a Cdn connection would generally be more interested. That being said I wouldn't be surprised if a few Americans started looking at them a little differently and when supplies are low you don't need much of a demand increase for there to be changes.

Jimbo, your post made me think about what the nature of the appeal is for these books. Why do I enjoy collecting them and why might others & is the nature of the appeal dependent on nationality.

I can only speak for myself. For me it was a case of:

1) I was surprised at how good some of them are - see those Triumph 1 interior pics above - its as good as anything from the US makers

2) they scream golden age

3) Its a way for me to express Cdn patriotism in my collecting.

4) Its historically very interesting to me to learn about as I've collected comics for a long time and I don't think there's a single niche I know as little about as this. The WECA (Act prohibiting imports into Canada during the war) makes for a very interesting backdrop in all this

5) They are by creators - Dingle, Bachle, Steele, Good, etc that are new to me and its fun discovering about them and the stories they told

6) I guess there is also an exclusivity factor due to the extreme scarcity of some of the books

:headbang:

Thanks for sharing this incredibly awesome story Hope

I think this post is worthy of its own thread Hope. I trust you won't mind if I split it off into a separate thread so that it doesn't get buried in next month's CLINK auction news that will no doubt permeate this thread.

Thanks to the aid of a few private and public collections, we have made the first story of Nelvana available to read online, feel free to take a look. Restoration was done by me:

http://nelvanacomics.com/galleries-2/issue1/

Awesome accomplishment, Hope! :applause:

Also, BIG congratulations on the successful Kickstarter project. (thumbs u