• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Uncanny X-Men #256

32 posts in this topic

Hardly. The character is unrecognizable to most fans until this issue. I've seen posters around my office here at a fortune 500 and they show an asian lady with a skimpy outfit. (yes, we have quite a few nerds working here) Heck, as a kid growing up I didn't even realize she was British until sometime in the 2000's.

The problem lies in the fact that younger readers met the character precisely when it was altered – one could say with good reason – almost beyond recognition.

When afterwards she was written by Claremont or Louise Simonson, they kept memory of all the character's developments, but then Marvel started to despise characters' consistency and concepts in favor of fads or short term sales, and of course most of them pretty quickly became no longer recognizable.

I can’t see why you would appreciate to this point an issue that clearly represents the start of a deprecable approach, meaning little care for both Psylocke and the characters at large.

I understand you read them as a kid, but again, a little criticism should have allowed you to evaluate them better by now.

The character is extremely popular now as an Asian assassin. We cannot debate that. We can argue that Marvel may have treated her past poorly and that's entirely your point of view.

Personally, the Psylocke that appears in Uncanny X-Force is the character that I love and will get behind.

Although I don't plan on sodomizing her like some people... the Psylocke in Uncanny X-Force was great. She was a bad-spoon, emotionally broken person. Fully developed and not drawn like a hooker.

Opena does such a great job drawing her sexy and strong in that series. I forget but there was a great article on how to draw strong women that were not just sex toys, and he was one of the main people they used as an example.

The scene in issue 4 where she was holding the rest of the team at bay... so good!

-In the spirit of Transparency, I just bought a CGC 9.8 copy because I believe in the book. :foryou:

:cloud9:

I bought a 257 CGC 9.8 too because with everyone investigating every little detail like "cameo" vs "1st" I didn't want to be told later 256 was a cameo or something. :whistle:

-In the spirit of Transparency, I just bought a CGC 9.8 copy because I believe in the book. :foryou:

:cloud9:

I bought a 257 CGC 9.8 too because with everyone investigating every little detail like "cameo" vs "1st" I didn't want to be told later 256 was a cameo or something. :whistle:

Psylocke actually appeared in X-Men #61, from 1969. If you look really closely, she's there in the crowd.

True story.

This issue should be at least as important as ASM 252! *duck and cover*

No :grin:

ASN 252 change in outfit impacted the story and things to come.

UX-Men 256 just gave us a better looking outfit to drool over.

I could not disagree more. Before she got "mojo'd" into a ninja she was not a butt kicking assassin. she had no fighting skills at all, she'd get her butt kicked and then talk about how her armor protected her. She was a mind manipulator and that was it. starting in 256 she was a fighter and a bad-.

I was tongue in cheek about 252 (I hope that was obvious) but they did more than make her an AZN fetish. They re-made the whole character, for better or worse.

I liked the original Psylocke in New Mutants and Mutant Massacre. I even liked the purple chainmail version of Psylocke. But I always felt the ninja version was ridiculous and dopey. The bizarre Kwannon nonsense certainly didn't change my opinion on that.

Bring back the real Betsy Braddock!

:sumo:

+1,000,000

Peace,

Chip

You guys are talking about psylocke like she's real, you guys wanna drool over some ink lines on a piece of paper, be my guest! :D

But they may want to purchase this from you. Is that okay?