• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magnus 12 cover on eBay.

25 posts in this topic

$2000? lol

The Ditko Shadowman went for even less (a non action page, and I question if Ditko actually worked on it...).

I've seen X-O Manowar pages by Ditko go around the same, 2-400. Wow, 2000. Who gave you that quote?

Great page, with the 2nd appearance of Eternal Warrior! No question Ditko has his guiding hand on this art!

And it arrived:

I took home the Solar 11 Page. I really wanted this page as it had a few things going for it.

• My favorite valiant character has always been Eternal Warrior.
    Pre Unity Valiant Art
  • Page comes from the second appearance of the Eternal Warrior which storyline in
  • Solar that introduces the character.
  • Sparkle City had the notes wrong on the piece. I had recently inquired about another page from this issue and was quoted a price of about $2000 because Ditko had his hand on the page. The auction listed the piece as being done by penciller David Lapham and inker Gonzalo Mayo. However, the piece was really done by Steve Ditko doing the breakdown pencils, Ted Halsted on finishing pencils and Gonzalo Mayo doing the inks. It may not be a silver age Spiderman page, but Ditko worked on the page containing one of the earliest appearances of my favorite Valiant character. All of this for 1/5th the price I was quoted.
  • Yes I am pleased as this was always a valiant grail piece for me.

90A5EB21-A5FE-46FA-9D95-47B769F79E20.jpg

Coollines Artwork

I was going through the CAF FS sections:

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=372115

He said he would sell this page for $2250. I emailed him about the pieces and this is what he responded to me with.

He quoted me $1350 for his Magnus Page 21

He quoted me $1975 for the Archer and Armstrong BWS page 32 from the Issue 8 flipbook.

Coollines Artwork

I was going through the CAF FS sections:

http://www.comicartfans.com/ForSaleDetails.asp?ArtId=372115

He said he would sell this page for $2250. I emailed him about the pieces and this is what he responded to me with.

He quoted me $1350 for his Magnus Page 21

He quoted me $1975 for the Archer and Armstrong BWS page 32 from the Issue 8 flipbook.

Oh... that explains it.

;)

According to Jim Shooter, the first VALIANT universe story written was Magnus #0.

Magnus_Valiant_0-02.jpg

The first time Magnus appears in the story of Magnus #0 is...

Magnus_Valiant_0-06.jpg

...and the piece of art that I won is...

Magnus0page4_ink.jpg

The page is now in my hands...

The face that is shown on this page looks like it is glued on.

No.

It's the original face.

The version that was printed in the book was the glued on face... it was included with the page as a loose piece.

What you're seeing here is the original face that didn't make it to print.

:cloud9:

Congrats! I love that page, and with it being the first story, that is even more incredible. I assume you knew it was from #0 also? Relative to other pages I think you got a terrific deal.

And the OA face is so much better than the published version.

Congrats! I love that page, and with it being the first story, that is even more incredible. I assume you knew it was from #0 also? Relative to other pages I think you got a terrific deal.

And the OA face is so much better than the published version.

Yes, I'm pretty confident that everyone bidding knew that was a Magnus #0 page and not Magnus #12.

(I would like to think I knew a secret... but I don't think so.) :grin:

I sent an email to Bob Layton asking why the face was changed:

It was changed because the original expression was not dramatic enough.

BL