• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Magnus 12 cover on eBay.

25 posts in this topic

Ebay

First this isn't a gotcha or in no way meant as a negative attack on the seller.

I was looking at this cover and I don't think it is the original published art, but rather a commissioned copy of the original. I know inker's take liberties with pencils, but there are quite a few differences from the published cover. I am not talking about simply shading but slight position differences, shapes etc. If I am wrong please let me know.

The original was posted on CAF a while back. It's listed as pen and ink but appears to be a painted/mixed media piece.

Interestingly enough I recall thinking it too looked a bit off compared to the published image. So much so someone left a comment asking if it was in fact the original. The owner said it was.

Valiant had pen and ink covers which were copied and a colorist would hand color them. The color covers are very nice. and can be had rather inexpensively. I have seen quite a few of the pen and ink covers and this seems off in that way as well, but with everything there are always exceptions to the rule.

Hello fellow Boardies,

The Valiant art up for auction was purchased along with an extensive comic book collection from a long time collector. We were led to believe that the pieces being purchased were all original and that made sense in the overall context of the comics and other artwork purchased.

However, thanks to the information we received via emails on ebay there is now some doubt, so much so that we have ended the auctions so as to avoid any potential for mis-representation.

To anyone who reached out to us directly, Thank you!

The original was posted on CAF a while back. It's listed as pen and ink but appears to be a painted/mixed media piece.

Interestingly enough I recall thinking it too looked a bit off compared to the published image. So much so someone left a comment asking if it was in fact the original. The owner said it was.

I may have commented. Since then, I've heard the rumor that his piece is only a study or prelim. hm

Hello fellow Boardies,

The Valiant art up for auction was purchased along with an extensive comic book collection from a long time collector. We were led to believe that the pieces being purchased were all original and that made sense in the overall context of the comics and other artwork purchased.

However, thanks to the information we received via emails on ebay there is now some doubt, so much so that we have ended the auctions so as to avoid any potential for mis-representation.

To anyone who reached out to us directly, Thank you!

Thanks for taking it down, to avoid confusion.

Hopefully you will get clarification, so the art can be relisted. It's a great piece

What did everyone think of the other pieces?

I thought this was an incredible price for a piece of interior art from a company no one likes. :grin:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380850506891

Whoever won that page at that price is crazy.

I, however, am not crazy because I was the 2nd highest bidder... so I get to keep my sanity. :kidaround:

I thought this was an incredible price for a piece of interior art from a company no one likes. :grin:

I, however, am not crazy because I was the 2nd highest bidder... so I get to keep my sanity. :kidaround:

First Shadowman... I stopped following that one when it climbed to around $500 a few hours before it ended.

It has the cameo for Jack Boniface...

lol I don't care what the CGC notes say. Shadowman 1 has the first Jack Boniface as Shadowman.

Still, that is an impressive piece and it was nice to see that page available at auction and not in a black hole collection for at least a week.

I don't think it's crazy. The very first appearance of a character who has been in and out of print for 20+ years now. Pretty damn cool piece (and no I wasn't bidding).

I don't think it's crazy. The very first appearance of a character who has been in and out of print for 20+ years now. Pretty damn cool piece (and no I wasn't bidding).

Yeah, it's a major character with name recognition, for a minor (but one time Major) company. Some cameo first appearances are forgettable, but this one was ingrained in my mind, so I bid hard for it... and lost. :pullhair:

In one of the other threads here mentioned how storylines are now forgettable (for the most part) and the iconic Marvel ones were from the 1960s-70s.

These auctions were a chance for Valiant fans to get a page from iconic stories in the early Valiant universe. (Unity, Magnus 12 [first Turok], Magnus 0, 1st Shadowman, etc..) Just watching these auctions was a thrill!

Heh - I paid for the piece I won today. It was a personal 'valiant' grail for me so I don't want to show it off until it is in hand. If I say which one with my luck it will be lost in the mail.

And it arrived:

I took home the Solar 11 Page. I really wanted this page as it had a few things going for it.

• My favorite valiant character has always been Eternal Warrior.
    Pre Unity Valiant Art
  • Page comes from the second appearance of the Eternal Warrior which storyline in
  • Solar that introduces the character.
  • Sparkle City had the notes wrong on the piece. I had recently inquired about another page from this issue and was quoted a price of about $2000 because Ditko had his hand on the page. The auction listed the piece as being done by penciller David Lapham and inker Gonzalo Mayo. However, the piece was really done by Steve Ditko doing the breakdown pencils, Ted Halsted on finishing pencils and Gonzalo Mayo doing the inks. It may not be a silver age Spiderman page, but Ditko worked on the page containing one of the earliest appearances of my favorite Valiant character. All of this for 1/5th the price I was quoted.
  • Yes I am pleased as this was always a valiant grail piece for me.

90A5EB21-A5FE-46FA-9D95-47B769F79E20.jpg

$2000? lol

The Ditko Shadowman went for even less (a non action page, and I question if Ditko actually worked on it...).

I've seen X-O Manowar pages by Ditko go around the same, 2-400. Wow, 2000. Who gave you that quote?

Great page, with the 2nd appearance of Eternal Warrior! No question Ditko has his guiding hand on this art!

And it arrived:

I took home the Solar 11 Page. I really wanted this page as it had a few things going for it.

• My favorite valiant character has always been Eternal Warrior.
    Pre Unity Valiant Art
  • Page comes from the second appearance of the Eternal Warrior which storyline in
  • Solar that introduces the character.
  • Sparkle City had the notes wrong on the piece. I had recently inquired about another page from this issue and was quoted a price of about $2000 because Ditko had his hand on the page. The auction listed the piece as being done by penciller David Lapham and inker Gonzalo Mayo. However, the piece was really done by Steve Ditko doing the breakdown pencils, Ted Halsted on finishing pencils and Gonzalo Mayo doing the inks. It may not be a silver age Spiderman page, but Ditko worked on the page containing one of the earliest appearances of my favorite Valiant character. All of this for 1/5th the price I was quoted.
  • Yes I am pleased as this was always a valiant grail piece for me.

90A5EB21-A5FE-46FA-9D95-47B769F79E20.jpg