• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has DC just given up on Warlord?

15 posts in this topic

Well, they revived the series not once but twice in recent years. The Bruce Jones series in 2006, which relaunched the title with new versions of all the characters, only last 10 issues. But they still tried again in 2009, bringing Grell back to work on the original characters, and even that only lasted 16 issues. I love Warlord too, but it doesn't seem like there's a big enough market at the moment for it.

Of course, at some point they'll have to put out something to renew the trademarks or whatever, and if that ends up striking gold we could see a revival. So who knows. But I am not holding my breath.

It seems like someone will decide when the current superhero movie genre gets a little stale that what they need is a fantasy Barbarian movie. While they will probably reboot Conan it would be cool if someone took on Warlord. Turok for that matter.

they just had a conan movie, no one watched it

I know it is different companies, But does Warlord take place in a similar area to the Savage Land where Kazar is?

Pretty much, yes. Originally, Skartaris was a land inside the Earth; later they decided it was in a different dimension. But basically it's filled with prehistoric animals and dinosaurs, wizards, and ancient civilizations who left behind incredibly advanced technology (which at some point was revealed to be from Atlantis). So... yeah, it's a lot like the Savage Land, only without the epically tedious Ka-Zar dragging it down.

Really liked this title back in the '80s, but the entire genre has been (virtually) given up on by the major comic houses. I like what Dark Horse is doing with Conan, but that's about it.

And from Warlord came Starslayer, which is sort of the inverse of Warlord (man from the past thrown into the future). I highly recommend the first 6 all-Grell issues. Grell was going to sell Starslayer to DC but he opted to sell it to Pacific Comics.

Warlord would be an outstanding movie if done well. Problem is, the 2012 film John Carter of Mars -- Grell based Warlord (and Starslayer) from the Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter Warlord of Mars -- was a box office bomb. And the Conan reboot in 2011 was another bomb. So sword-and-sorcery genre is not favored at the box office these days.

And from Warlord came Starslayer, which is sort of the inverse of Warlord (man from the past thrown into the future). I highly recommend the first 6 all-Grell issues. Grell was going to sell Starslayer to DC but he opted to sell it to Pacific Comics.

Warlord would be an outstanding movie if done well. Problem is, the 2012 film John Carter of Mars -- Grell based Warlord (and Starslayer) from the Edgar Rice Burroughs John Carter Warlord of Mars -- was a box office bomb. And the Conan reboot in 2011 was another bomb. So sword-and-sorcery genre is not favored at the box office these days.

Yeah it won't happen anytime soon. I watched John Carter a couple of months ago and while watchable it was certainly tedious. Too bad, I could see Warlord with a crisp -script and the right talent and effects being a great movie.