• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 1:300 Sketch Variant

28 posts in this topic

So it's been decided that I will be pre-ordering this variant in the next day or so. I know a lot of people hate variants, and what they represent in the industry. But all that aside, I enjoy collecting them.

I now have the opportunity to pre-order 2 copies as opposed to just 1. But in doing so, I will not be able to pre-order the other 8 or so variants. My question is, which seems like the smarter thing to do? 2 copies of the 1:300 variant, or just 1 copy of each variant released?

Personal preference is not a factor. Spider-man isn't a series I've collected, and the biggest appeal to me (for these specific comics) is the possibility of seeing them heat up in months or years following release and making a profit. I was just looking for some insight into what others have observed with variant price trends. Is the risk of not being able to make back hardly any of that money down the road so huge that just the 1 copy of the 1:300 is smartest thing to do? Do you think the less rare variants will see decent price spikes down the road?

I figure worst case scenario, the price tanks, and I'm stuck with a a fairly rare 1:300 variant. Not the end of the world in my book. Any insight at all would be awesome. This is only my second forum post ever, so I'f this is not the proper place for this post, or if this type of post is inappropriate, I apologize in advance.

If it were me, I would spend that money on something that will bring you joy by owning it. Chasing variants because you'll feel good if they go up isn't my cup of tea. I'm not saying that it isn't nice if something increases in value, but that is a nice side effect for me.

It is all about why you're collecting. There are probably cheaper ways to chase returns than buying a 1:300 variant of a Spider-man book, especially when that Spider-man book will be due for another reboot in a year or two, at which time the previous variant will have cooled off and been forgotten (see most of the previous variants). Will some percentage of variants stay reasonably hot and desirable? Of course. But trying to pick them isn't going to be a high probability exercise.

In short, unless you want to get walkthrough CGC grading, and this book comes back a 9.8, you probably will miss the window for it being hot, and may not win the lottery. You caught me on something of a cynical night, so forgive me if I'm being a bit harsh.

Replies will vary, but will primarily be driven by one question: How much are they?

Generally speaking, 1:X variants settle in the 1/2 X price... or lower.

1:100 will be $50 or less... some are $10.

1:20 will be $10 or less.. some are $2.

DC's 1:300 variants (Superman Unchained, etc.) are now under $100... about $75.

You said: "the biggest appeal to me (for these specific comics) is the possibility of seeing them heat up in months or years following release and making a profit."

When? These books are hottest when they're new.

They cool.

Then they cool more.

ASM 700 Ditko variants were over $1,200 the first few days. Now they're under $500.

(I'm talking about raw copies... I'm pretty sure you're not pre-ordering CGC 9.8 here.)

Here's Avenging Spider-man #1 1:200 and the 1:100... both books... $53.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360862204231

They never get as hot as they were in the first place.

Another 1:300 comes along... makes these less desirable.

Then a 1:500. Then a 1:1000.

It never ends.

The older ones are forgotten... never worthless... they always have some value...

but almost never worth more than the first few days.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm relatively new to comics as a whole, and am still trying to settle on what exactly I want as a collector. I don't see them so much as an investment opportunity (this specific issue notwithstanding) as much as a chance to enjoy a hobby that has the possibility of negating some if its own cost at some point. Its been hard to get insight from other online communities without inciting hate against speculators, and then usually the inevitable pessimistic opinions about the industries direction as a whole. (That's not to say mysterio's comments were overly negative, seemed like an honest opinion.)

So being as I am committed to 1 issue already, it seems like you guys would suggest sticking with just the one. Like I said, my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if I were to be stuck with 1 copy of this issue, even if Spidey isn't my guy. I enjoy collecting variants, and this will be a nice one to have.

As far as price goes. I know that the $500 pre-order is what several sights are hosting. I'm looking at getting mine for about $325 ($300 each if I were to get 2).I've heard the $500 price tag is a huge con, so I'm not even sure if the $325 is a reasonable deal as far as these types of variant go during pre-order.

Well, I'm certainly guilty of chasing variants. But the possibility of them heating up isn't typically a huge concern. When I think they might I may snag an extra copy or two, but even then, I usually enjoy holding on to them even if they do. For example, the Steampunk Harley Quinn Variant was spiking to between 55-60 (on Ebay at least), and even with 3 copies from pre-order I couldn't make myself let one go.

Feelings like that usually make me stray away from big dollar speculations. Even if I could see a profit, I would likely not want to loose the issue.

Not sure what's persuading me to chase the cash on this one though.

300 dollars! Holy Shlt!

There's a lot of other classic spidey books that you'd be better off buying that will hold their value more than this one. ASM #50

Each to their own of course.. Welcome to the boards!

Yea, can't argue with that. I guess its the appeal of the new that's getting to me. I've tried to talk myself out of it, but I'm all but certain than come tomorow i'll have my pre-order.

Can't say you guys didn't warn me if/when that boat sinks hard.

So it's been decided that I will be pre-ordering this variant in the next day or so. I know a lot of people hate variants, and what they represent in the industry. But all that aside, I enjoy collecting them.

the biggest appeal to me (for these specific comics) is the possibility of seeing them heat up in months or years following release and making a profit.

Better decide which it is: you enjoy collecting them, or you want to make a profit.

I'm pretty wishy washy on the whole issue admittedly, figured it wouldn't be long before someone called me out on it. With this specific issue, I've got it in my mind that I can come out ahead (even if its unjustified). But in general I enjoy collecting variants. I always watch closely to what the price does, but all said and done I've only ever sold off 7 or 8 different variants with the aim of turning a profit.

I should clarify, when I said "these specific comics" I was referring to the ASM #1 variants. Not all variants in general.

Also as you are "new" to this, I'd be weary of anyone offering you the chance to pre-order for $200 less than most other pre-orders I've seen on DCBS, Ebay, etc. Is it from a source with good feedback/kudos of some sort?

Yes, I have a lot of trust in the vendor. Its an LCS I've known of for a long time in the St. Louis area. In the past I've never had a problem with my pre-orders, although it's only been about a year since I've started dealing with him personally. This is certainly the biggest "discount" in price I've been offered in comparison to the cost I have seen elsewhere though. I'll be sure to use caution.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm relatively new to comics as a whole, and am still trying to settle on what exactly I want as a collector. I don't see them so much as an investment opportunity (this specific issue notwithstanding) as much as a chance to enjoy a hobby that has the possibility of negating some if its own cost at some point. Its been hard to get insight from other online communities without inciting hate against speculators, and then usually the inevitable pessimistic opinions about the industries direction as a whole. (That's not to say mysterio's comments were overly negative, seemed like an honest opinion.)

So being as I am committed to 1 issue already, it seems like you guys would suggest sticking with just the one. Like I said, my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if I were to be stuck with 1 copy of this issue, even if Spidey isn't my guy. I enjoy collecting variants, and this will be a nice one to have.

As far as price goes. I know that the $500 pre-order is what several sights are hosting. I'm looking at getting mine for about $325 ($300 each if I were to get 2).I've heard the $500 price tag is a huge con, so I'm not even sure if the $325 is a reasonable deal as far as these types of variant go during pre-order.

I wasn't trying to hate on speculators (I am one myself at times) or variants as a concept. If you like variants and that's your thing that is fine. I was responding more to the value side of your post, as to whether they would be a good buy. Typically variants do not hold their value long term. If you want the variant itself, you might wait until the market settles down after the initial heat and buy then. As someone else said, $325 is a lot of money to drop on a variant. You can get other books with better track records for that kind of money. 2c

I wasn't trying to hate on speculators (I am one myself at times) or variants as a concept. If you like variants and that's your thing that is fine. I was responding more to the value side of your post, as to whether they would be a good buy. Typically variants do not hold their value long term. If you want the variant itself, you might wait until the market settles down after the initial heat and buy then. 2c

I didn't think you were. That value aspect is really what I was most curious about. I've already kinda learned that variants tend to be a passing fancy as far as value is concerned. Just wondered if anyone thought this one would stand out. Seems like most think it'll be more of the same though.

Thanks for the input.

300 dollars! Holy Shlt!

There's a lot of other classic spidey books that you'd be better off buying that will hold their value more than this one. ASM #50

+1

For $300+ I'd rather buy a first appearance of a character that I like. To each their own though, some variants are seriously awesome!

I'm pretty wishy washy on the whole issue admittedly, figured it wouldn't be long before someone called me out on it.

No call out :foryou: , just a question that may matter down the road if the value doesn't hold. If you buy it for the collecting enjoyment, a big price slide won't bother you as much as if you're holding for a profit.

I've said this to several people IRL.

Marvel did the superior spider-man to alienate all of there spider-man fans and make them hate the character, only to do a relaunch to get fans interested again, while emulating the new 52 re-start.

I don't see spider-man getting renumbered for the next two years, so I think its a good bet ordering 300 copies of number #1, making back your money on the variant covers and slowly selling off the #1s to get some profit.

2c

I'm pretty wishy washy on the whole issue admittedly, figured it wouldn't be long before someone called me out on it.

No call out :foryou: , just a question that may matter down the road if the value doesn't hold. If you buy it for the collecting enjoyment, a big price slide won't bother you as much as if you're holding for a profit.

Oh no, I just meant that my indecisiveness would make it it difficult to get any good advice. I didn't figure you meant anything personal. Reading back through my OPs, I wasnt very clear at all.

The possibility of another relaunch is something I've considered, but I honestly don't know enough the nature of the business to form a valid opinion on if it will happen.

Its looking like I will be officially committing to the 1:300 variant when I get off work today. I'm going to see if I can maybe get another day or 2 to consider getting the second one as well and still get the discounted price (I doubt it) Still not sure that I want to go all in with 2 copies.

Thanks a lot for the continued outlooks. I wasn't expecting much in terms or responses.

300 dollars! Holy Shlt!

Yea, can't argue with that. I guess its the appeal of the new that's getting to me. I've tried to talk myself out of it, but I'm all but certain than come tomorow i'll have my pre-order.

Can't say you guys didn't warn me if/when that boat sinks hard.

The bottom line is... Buy what you like. You will never be dissapointed or become disillusioned with your collection that way. Never buy what other people tell you you should like (thumbs u