• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 1:300 Sketch Variant

28 posts in this topic

300 dollars! Holy Shlt!

There's a lot of other classic spidey books that you'd be better off buying that will hold their value more than this one. ASM #50

Each to their own of course.. Welcome to the boards!

Yea, can't argue with that. I guess its the appeal of the new that's getting to me. I've tried to talk myself out of it, but I'm all but certain than come tomorow i'll have my pre-order.

Can't say you guys didn't warn me if/when that boat sinks hard.

The bottom line is... Buy what you like. You will never be dissapointed or become disillusioned with your collection that way. Never buy what other people tell you you should like (thumbs u

But what he likes in this case is making that cash. Which is fine. And its smart to get some feedback on the potential quality of this investment.

Once I stopped chasing variants and every new "hot" issue I was able to buy another AF15 and finish my slabbed 1-100 run.

Not to be rude but consider that. My books are in a black hole collection and not for sale. However I feel that push comes to shove and we are talking 'investment' my silver age books will hold their value more than the variant of the week.

Thanks a lot for the responses. I'm relatively new to comics as a whole, and am still trying to settle on what exactly I want as a collector. I don't see them so much as an investment opportunity (this specific issue notwithstanding) as much as a chance to enjoy a hobby that has the possibility of negating some if its own cost at some point. Its been hard to get insight from other online communities without inciting hate against speculators, and then usually the inevitable pessimistic opinions about the industries direction as a whole. (That's not to say mysterio's comments were overly negative, seemed like an honest opinion.)

So being as I am committed to 1 issue already, it seems like you guys would suggest sticking with just the one. Like I said, my feelings wouldn't be hurt at all if I were to be stuck with 1 copy of this issue, even if Spidey isn't my guy. I enjoy collecting variants, and this will be a nice one to have.

As far as price goes. I know that the $500 pre-order is what several sights are hosting. I'm looking at getting mine for about $325 ($300 each if I were to get 2).I've heard the $500 price tag is a huge con, so I'm not even sure if the $325 is a reasonable deal as far as these types of variant go during pre-order.

Look at prices for the Ditko ASM 700 variant and where they are now. This should tell you if its better to wait or preorder.