• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Show Off!

46 posts in this topic

any guy that could drop $25K on something most people see so frivolous as a 'funny book' would be highly attractive in the bar scene I believe....

just don't talk about the book-talk about the MONEY you spent on it....

If you go into a history of Dr Wertham and Marsten's creation of Wonder Woman as a reaction you will be TOAST....

The girl one attracts with such an approach will be a real ^^

meh

Mention the $25K, but never mention the comic book.

Use the word 'Amazon', but never mention Wonder Woman.

Never mention 'Pressed' either, just keep it vague. ' Wet ' helped relax ', ' applied the heat '...

And for crissake mumble if you say "8.0 big number", so it's heard as member.

Mention the $25K, but never mention the comic book.

Use the word 'Amazon', but never mention Wonder Woman.

Never mention 'Pressed' either, just keep it vague. ' Wet ' helped relax ', ' applied the heat '...

And for crissake mumble if you say "8.0 big number", so it's heard as member.

:signfunny:

(Disclaimer: Please read with humorous tone that is intended.)

So, I just bought - like - the coolest comic book - ever - from the Clink auction (it's WW 1 CGC 8.0 White pages - just sayin')...

... and now I want a few select people - friends, family, people I see on the street, everyone on the Internet - to know, and think I'm the coolest guy on the planet for owning it and having the incredible wisdom to spend $25K on a comic book. :acclaim:

So I'm thinking ... to let people know, do I go up to a girl at the bar and say "so, I've got the hottest chick on the planet in my safe, want to come over and see..." - yeah, that probably won't work... :kidaround:

It got me thinking - in a world of non-comic-book collectors, how do you share your joy (and your prized possessions)? What's your unique way?

I've collected comic books on and off since 1984. Before I joined these boards, I don't think I'd shown my collection to anyone outside my family. (In fact, most of my family members have never cared to look at my books.) I have routinely been belittled by people to the tune of, "Why is a grown man collecting comic books?"

So, I just bought - like - the coolest comic book - ever - from the Clink auction (it's WW 1 CGC 8.0 White pages - just sayin')...

... and now I want a few select people - friends, family, people I see on the street, everyone on the Internet - to know, and think I'm the coolest guy on the planet for owning it and having the incredible wisdom to spend $25K on a comic book. :acclaim:

So I'm thinking ... to let people know, do I go up to a girl at the bar and say "so, I've got the hottest chick on the planet in my safe, want to come over and see..." - yeah, that probably won't work... :kidaround:

It got me thinking - in a world of non-comic-book collectors, how do you share your joy (and your prized possessions)? What's your unique way?

I've collected comic books on and off since 1984. Before I joined these boards, I don't think I'd shown my collection to anyone outside my family. (In fact, most of my family members have never cared to look at my books.) I have routinely been belittled by people to the tune of, "Why is a grown man collecting comic books?"

merely grab your copy of Action #1 and state 'see this comic book? I bought it 10 years ago for $50,000. I can sell it tomorrow for $850,000. That seems pretty dang grown up to me. What have you bought that has increased in value? what's that? nothing? Ok go in time out now little boy'.

Honestly, I have no family, friends, colleagues, etc. who are really interested in comics and while it would be nice to talk with folk into comics, I often figure it's probably better few people outside family know because of the increased likelihood of being "jacked up" for your books.

But if you could tactfully elude the capacity to buy a comic book for $25K, you'll definitely pique the interest of more than one lady, but always remember to wear a jim hat.

So me thinks Kav's got it right.

merely grab your copy of Action #1 and state 'see this comic book? I bought it 10 years ago for $50,000. I can sell it tomorrow for $850,000. That seems pretty dang grown up to me. What have you bought that has increased in value? what's that? nothing? Ok go in time out now little boy'.

Unfortunately, talking about what the books are "worth" seems to be the only way to get the interest / respect of a civilian. Fortunately ( unfortunate at times ), I rarely care what strangers or insufficiently_thoughtful_persons think of me or my hobbies, so I have been a "proud" comic book fan for several years now. Not counting my early twenties when I hid it from girls lol

Unfortunately, talking about what the books are "worth" seems to be the only way to get the interest / respect of a civilian. Fortunately ( unfortunate at times ), I rarely care what strangers or insufficiently_thoughtful_persons think of me or my hobbies, so I have been a "proud" comic book fan for several years now. Not counting my early twenties when I hid it from girls lol

So, if non-comic-book-collectors are civilians, what are comic book collectors called? (shrug) X-men?

I've found that if you are intelligent, witty, good sense of humor and confident you could do knitting for a hobby and it wouldn't bother women in the slightest.

I've found that if you are intelligent, witty, good sense of humor and confident you could do knitting for a hobby and it wouldn't bother women in the slightest.

Are you suggesting my trouble with women is not my hobby? :sumo:

no so dont feel bad about it!

I suspect my 20 year marriage is probably the biggest impediment to my dating life - and the biggest asset to it! (thumbs u

I suspect my 20 year marriage is probably the biggest impediment to my dating life - and the biggest asset to it! (thumbs u

if you are 20 years married I would say you have no trouble with women!