• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Collectibility

14 posts in this topic

It depends on what the book is, how many of them are out there, the price, and how badly you want it. I was recently offered a very good price on an U$ #1 from my local dealer*. The book was VG. I turned it down because there's a bazillion VG U$ #1s out there and the story has been reprinted all over the place. On the other hand, I have a Great Comics #3 ("Futuro Takes Hitler to Hell") in VG that I snapped up instantly. You NEVER see those for sale and people who want them are willing to pay multiples of guide for any grade.

* I have the best comic dealer in the world. If he says a book is VF, it really is VF. In fact, his grading is so strict that his VF is sometimes what most other people would call NM-.

If your looking for a general grade for GA books as far as collectabilty I would say VG is a good minimum, however some GA books are just so fantastic that a G copy would suffice.

That is the easy answer..... wink.gif

If your looking for a general grade for GA books as far as collectabilty I would say VG is a good minimum, however some GA books are just so fantastic that a G copy would suffice.

That is a sound answer. VG is certainly a collectible grade for GA. A solid VG is nice looking book. Usually has a tight cover, reasonably flat, good color, no pieces out, etc. Mainly folds/creases and spine wear, the ocassional pen or pencil notation, etc.but still good eye appeal.

For my own collecting (pre-code horror) I shoot for a Fine when possible, but that is not a perception of collectibility as much the fact that many pre-code horrors are reasonable in FN ($50-100 each depending on venue), and the price diff between VG and FN is not enough to make me spend less for the VG.

But when it comes to certain titles, then a GD is something that delights me (example: that Startling Terror Tales 11. Even if I never upgrade past the GD I own, the cover image is one of those special ones that transcends condition. But no matter how you slice it - still a GD).

And the nice thing about the lower grade GAs is they hold their value and continue to mildly but steadily increase with time. The lower grades (and this includes GD) are also very popular because, getting out of my area and into the Superhero GA books, the price of higher grade GA hero books can get VERY unaffordable VERY quickly. So unless one has deep pockets, the most popular GA hero market is in grades below FN. Now these are not the sales that make headlines, but they are the sales that keep the comic dealers alive via mail order, internet sales and conventions. And the reason is that a lot of GA collectors are and will continue to buy 'em! grin.gif The GD/VG is basically the "bread 'n buttah" of the GA.

Anybody know how many copies of "ALL FLASH QUARTERLY #1" are out there. I know that noone knows exactly but a rough idea. Also one graded as CGC VF8.0 what do you think this would go for price wise.Iread on one of the O.S guide that it was #49 on the list of top 100, what do you think of this book and how do you feel the value will increase over the next 5 years?

Really, How do you check on past sales on Ebay? The reason I asked about the book is I just bought 25-35 Golden Age books about 6-8 months ago from this older guy who purchased them off the shelf in the 1940's and that was one of the books, had it graded by CGC and got a VF8.0 OW PAGES. I haven't seen any sold so wasn't sure what it went for on the open market, I really appreciate your response thank you!

I am pretty happy still, I really enjoy having a book like that even though I'd like to have some real "keys" I will have to keep plugging away and searching for those! Thank you for you info.

Go to eBay search, advanced search, search completed auctions. This may only be good for the last 21 days of completed similiar items.

U could visit www.heritagecomics.com & join the free membership. Then u can access their archive of completed AF 1 cgc & raw auctions (if any) with pic & date/price realized.

Thanks, later on tonight Iwill get on heritage and see the final prices for that book, I was just curious because I have it and just wanted to get a good idea of its worth as I have not really seen one VF8.0 sell. I'll also do the EBAY search.

RE: Checking on past eBay prices.

Heritage keeps their past auction sales up for quite a while. They are a good source for some high end material.

On eBay you can get the last 2 weeks sales by doing a completed auctions search.

I've been gathering completed auction data into a database since May of last year. I use this information in my own auctions and (unabashed commercial plug wink.gif ) sell the database on my website.