• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can someone tell me whats going on here?!

91 posts in this topic

so I bought both these books, I have seen a fantastic four book that is a printing error issue but have never seen this one, have had people tell me its a ink issue and a comic shop owner tell me its faded, I want to get it graded whats the deal??

THE BLACK SHEEP I say it is VF ANY GRADING OPINIONS WOULD BE A BIG HELP EVEN IF IT IS FADED COOLEST LOOKING COPY I HAVE EVER SEEN. ANY OPINIONS?

2vao8ky.jpg

THE NORM VG

vhdmi8.jpg

looks like a printing error. The blues and blacks are still very strong (just as strong as the "normal copy"). Looks like is it missing the green, yellow and red tones. if this was faded, wouldn't the black portions be much lighter?

I have some faded Conan comics that have lost some of the bright colors. Store owners leave the comics out in the light too long which causes the ink to fade. Wall books should rotate.

bb

It looks faded at first glance, but then if you look at the guy on the left... he is bright green in the correct version but bright blue in the weird version. I'm not sure that fading changes bright green into bright blue.

I'm going to vote misprint

What does the back cover look like?

If the back cover looks the same as the front, it's a printing error because you'd be using the same printing plates across both front and rear covers. If the back cover is bright and the front is dull then it's faded.

What does the back cover look like?

If the back cover looks the same as the front, it's a printing error because you'd be using the same printing plates across both front and rear covers. If the back cover is bright and the front is dull then it's faded.

^^^^^^^ This.

Took us boardees about 30 posts to come up with the logical solution.

Is it me or is it shilly in here?

Yeah, will be in the selling area with the words rare and misprint before long. :cloud9: Sad part is people who have never seen this happen to comics in comic stores from the sun to wall books will believe it. :tonofbricks: it's poor. I will give him .50 cents shipped. :sumo:

Post this in grading and restoration. Some folks there will see it and give some valuable input. Someone familiar with the printing process of that era can make some intelligent insight.

David,

Everyone that has posted here qualifies . . . :whistle:

-d

Yep. Anyone can own this book. Buy one, and leave it in your window in direct sunlight for awhile. Watch it turn into this copy.

Divad, what grade would you assign this comic in VF this being the major flaw.

Certainly no more than a VG, but realistically? I think fading of this magnitude should be viewed as one very Large stain. 3.0 Tops. :sumo: I'm not really sure how CGC would weigh in - Anyone? hm

That comic was left in a store front window for a very long time. My old LCS used to do that. I have no idea what CGC would grade that comic. I would never buy it. Personally I would give it a poor. :sumo:

What he said... 2c

Post this in grading and restoration. Some folks there will see it and give some valuable input. Someone familiar with the printing process of that era can make some intelligent insight.

David,

-d

Yep. Anyone can own this book. Buy one, and leave it in your window in direct sunlight for awhile. Watch it turn into this copy.

Certainly no more than a VG, but realistically? I think fading of this magnitude should be viewed as one very Large stain. 3.0 Tops. :sumo: I'm not really sure how CGC would weigh in - Anyone? hm

Thanks for your opinion David. Interesting. I was going a lot lower due to eye appeal. The sun bleached cover is such a big draw back in my eyes. I buy a lot of lower grade comics and this flaw is a deal breaker for me. I keep telling my friends at my LCS with the comics like this in the window that they are ruining these books. :cry:

I can see CGC give this a grade I do not agree with at all because it's such a weird defect. Has anyone ever seen a faded CGCed comic? :popcorn:

so I bought both these books, I have seen a fantastic four book that is a printing error issue but have never seen this one, have had people tell me its a ink issue and a comic shop owner tell me its faded, I want to get it graded whats the deal??

THE BLACK SHEEP I say it is VF ANY GRADING OPINIONS WOULD BE A BIG HELP EVEN IF IT IS FADED COOLEST LOOKING COPY I HAVE EVER SEEN. ANY OPINIONS?

2vao8ky.jpg

THE NORM VG

vhdmi8.jpg

I picked this up from my LCS also and I don't think it is faded either, similar in colours.

gijoe21Scan-121230-0001_zps81b9a51b.jpg

It looks faded at first glance, but then if you look at the guy on the left... he is bright green in the correct version but bright blue in the weird version. I'm not sure that fading changes bright green into bright blue.

Green is a mixture of yellow and blue. The yellow has faded away leaving the blue. Notice how faded the yellow is in the other areas.

Green is a mixture of yellow and blue. The yellow has faded away leaving the blue. Notice how faded the yellow is in the other areas.

Where's Michael (Poverty Row) when you need him? I recall he went through the whole progression of color fading in the restoration thread many moons ago. Someone with actual four-color printing experience.

One thing is clear: There appears to be a strong tendency for owners of HG faded books to think that the cause is otherwise :grin:

+1

sunlight will suck the color out of a cover in no time at all. it almost makes it look like is a print defect but a lot of times the back covers are in real nice shape.

David,

-d

Thanks for your opinion David. Interesting. I was going a lot lower due to eye appeal. The sun bleached cover is such a big draw back in my eyes. I buy a lot of lower grade comics and this flaw is a deal breaker for me. I keep telling my friends at my LCS with the comics like this in the window that they are ruining these books. :cry:

I can see CGC give this a grade I do not agree with at all because it's such a weird defect. Has anyone ever seen a faded CGCed comic? :popcorn:

I'm thinking most people would grade this Fair to Good, but I have a weakness for the positive :grin:

I recall the time I tossed a paperback onto the back window ledge in one of my early rattletrap cars....and forgot about it for the summer. Looked just like that come September.

Red fades pretty fast in direct sunlight, followed closely by yellow. Cyan hangs in there, but eventually even that starts to fade.