• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why Do YOU Collect Sketch Covers?

37 posts in this topic

I found out i could get 11x17 commissions/OA for the same or less, made more sense to me. Have sold all my sketch covers.

I found I could purchase published pages for the same or less, made more sense to me. I kept the sketch covers I had because I didn't want to take the loss, and some truly are treasures to me.

But to be honest, how many artists will be crying about this. A lot of them hate to draw on the blanks. A lot of the new blood maybe, but I can't think of too many of the established guys.

One-of-a-kind covers made especially for me, no less!

This!!

Honestly that's the primary reason I made the leap to graded books overall. There is something oh so satisfying about having someone (very talented) take your idea and bring it to fruition.

I think to some extent there was a novelty factor in the past that has diminished somewhat. There are a lot of blanks out there, and a lot more artists now are doing sketch covers than did in the past.

A cursory glance around the boards shows there are loads of unpublished, or certainly less well known artists that are knocking out great covers at a fraction of the price of the more famous guys. Someone posted a cover from Neal Adams that they paid over $3k for - only a complete fanatic is going to want to pay that (or be able to afford to, for that matter).

I do like the uniformity of collecting sketches from different artists on the same cover, and of course the CGC authentication is important - but all things being equal, I'd rather have an original commission that's not on a blank, I think.

Conclusion - I don't think the market's struggling. Rather, it's settling down to a more sensible level.

Ballham yeah I am the guy who paid that amount for a Neal Adams sketch. Long story short Neal Adams made the first cover that made my jaw drop when I saw it as a kid which got me addicted to comics. The cover Batman #244 is my favorite cover in comics as a result and I look at Neal Adams as if he is the Elvis or Jimi Hendrix of comics. That being said the sketch cover was a piece made especially for me and if I am going to pay that amount I wanted it verified. I get a message on the boards every few months from a boardie who wants it, but after I tell them the cost they back off. I never expect to get what I paid for it back, but I don't care.

As far as other sketches from artists I want them on sketch covers because I just want the verification of who the artist is. Unless it is a spectacular sketch from a known artist if I decide to sell it later I will doubt if I ever get my money back. Now if CGC was able to certify 11x17 art right now I would go that route, but they can't. So I see it as unless the 11x17 OA starts being certified, the value of those pieces will go down in value unless it is by a such and such artist or a famous piece connected to a character's history.

I just acquired my first 11x17 OA piece by a hot artist right now, but the only reason I acquired it was because he is too busy to accept commissions and it was the OA for a cover that will fall into the famous piece connected to a character's history shortly. However until the piece is in my hands I will not say what it is or post an image.

All my other reasons for artwork on sketch covers don't apply because it could fall underneath the 11x17 category as well.

This!!

Honestly that's the primary reason I made the leap to graded books overall. There is something oh so satisfying about having someone (very talented) take your idea and bring it to fruition.

I have to agree as well. You give the artist (or rep) an idea, and they run with it.

Most of all, collecting sketch covers takes me to a place where I can be a kid again.

This!!

I have to agree as well. You give the artist (or rep) an idea, and they run with it.

Most of all, collecting sketch covers takes me to a place where I can be a kid again.

That is another reason why I love custom sketches

I collect them because you cant authenticate 11x17s unless buying directly from the artist

Also, go frame an 11x17 and I dont mean a frame from bed bath & beyond, I mean a nice frame with UV-glass.

Good seeing you at the Carbo show Brian! Thank you for all of your help with the back and forth Fedex runs (worship)

I collect them because you cant authenticate 11x17s unless buying directly from the artist

Also, go frame an 11x17 and I dont mean a frame from bed bath & beyond, I mean a nice frame with UV-glass.

Good seeing you at the Carbo show Brian! Thank you for all of your help with the back and forth Fedex runs (worship)

And here I thought I was the only one who'd earned 10% off a future Mike J sketch opp! lol

Good seeing you too! Glad I could help out in some small way. I still owe you that drink....You threw me off with closing up shop early!

Also, thank you for your help with the witnessing! For such a small show you worked pretty hard (thumbs u

Man has a point. I just came back from the frames with a 11x17 using UV museum glass. Yeah.....

I just started into sketch covers...love them. Each one has individuality and a different take on characters. I see it as "art" from the expression of the artist. They way he/she uses lines, colors, ink/pencil, details. It lets them have more freedom than say needing the "approval" from the creative team.

Also love OA (11x17) but getting framing + high quality uv glass (conservation glass or museum glass) costs more than most sketch covers with grading!

I got Into sketch covers cause I love comic art. The idea that you can have a custom cover done just for yourself was brilliant. I'm not too much into getting books signed cause I don't see it as that special. I have every wolverine Vol. book so it also allowed me to continue to collect cause there nothing left for me to get but new releases.

And here I thought I was the only one who'd earned 10% off a future Mike J sketch opp! lol

You sir get 20% off, you helped me with those deadly box strapholders :foryou:

I live on the other side of the world. I can't really afford to go places just to meet and greet artists or to get their art. Just too much time, effort, and cash involved. I rarely go for raw art unless I trust the source as I've always had issues with the authenticity of raw artworks and sketches since I'm pretty paranoid so my best shot is going for CGC SS sketches. In my case, they're easier to store as well.

I am the guy who paid that amount for a Neal Adams sketch. Long story short Neal Adams made the first cover that made my jaw drop when I saw it as a kid which got me addicted to comics. The cover Batman #244 is my favorite cover in comics as a result and I look at Neal Adams as if he is the Elvis or Jimi Hendrix of comics. That being said the sketch cover was a piece made especially for me and if I am going to pay that amount I wanted it verified. I get a message on the boards every few months from a boardie who wants it, but after I tell them the cost they back off. I never expect to get what I paid for it back, but I don't care.

Just for the record, I wasn't suggesting you were wrong to pay that much. If you have the money, and Neal Adams means that much to you, then great. You're probably in a very tiny minority that would even consider spending $3k on a sketch cover, but so what? Main thing is you're happy with it (and realistic about not getting your money back lol )

It's definitely the authentication thing that matters the most to me. If I had the choice between getting a sketch on a blank and leaving it raw, or having a sketch on the equivalent sized piece of paper, I'd go for the paper every time.