• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Grading Service Pop Culture Certified

18 posts in this topic

Never heard of them before and thanks for the link. They apparently grade your books then bag and board in mylar with a PCC seal and label. They also have scans online of all the books they grade. One problem I see here is damage as it easy to damage a book in just a mylar. There is also the possiblity of someone switching books in the holders.

Not heard of it but like the concept a lot. This is very similar to what I was asking about here:

What if?

One think I really do not understand is that we have BA/SA books in 9.4/9.6 and even 9.8 all over the place. They obviously have been around a couple or three or four decades before the inception of CGC. So I feel the "books in mylar are too easy to damage" is not really valid. If one uses a modicum of care, a 9.4 will remain a 9.4 even after being read several times.

My main use for CGC is the restoration check and the grade. If I can get that, a a reasonable price, without the case I will break apart anyway, I will take it.

Now I know nothing about this company but I DO like the concept.

Yea, I posted about this company in the "Grading and Restoration Issues" forum. Here's a link:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=gradeandresto&Number=100422&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

The owner of this company wrote me a long letter in response to that thread; I'm thinking about posting it. I wish he would've posted it in the forum himself, but he stated some slightly frank and mildly controversial opinions about several popular vintage comics companies, which is why I didn't post it already.

I bought a bunch of Daredevils from PopCultureCertified on EBay. I'll probably post here with info about their grading. I'm assuming they'll send the books out with whatever documentation they usually include with their grading service, but we'll see.

but he stated some slightly frank and mildly controversial opinions about several popular vintage comics companies, which is why I didn't post it already.

Go ahead and post it. We like a nice bit of controversy around here. shocked.gifgrin.gif

Hi. I'm Joe, the owner of PPC, and I appreciate the interest being shown in Pop Culture Certified.

One of the main reasons I (& friends, I guess that makes it "we") started this grading service was purely selfish. I bought a huge Marvel collection last spring, and sold a run of Spider-mans (#17-129) to help pay for it. They were, for the most part, all truly Very Fine comics. I got, for the most part, Very Good type prices.

Why? Probably because most buyers are like me and assume that the seller had no idea how to grade, so they assume it's in 2 grades down, on average, and bid accordingly.

Exactly 500 comics have been graded by PCC so for.

At this point, I/we have sold about 100 comics, ranging anywhere from 50% to 300% of the guide prices.

About 1/2 were sold on ebay, and more were sold in last month's Philadelphia Comic show.

We offer 100% purchase price if not satisfied, upon safe return of the comics. I'm sure it won't stay that way forever, but so far, noone has wanted to return the books, and reviews have been generally positive.

We did some tough testing with our seals (you can too - they're notary seals) and have not been able to successfully open one without severe evidence.

I find that collectors are now torn between wanting more grading details, and going back to the old 3 (well, 5 with VG & VF) Overstreet grades on comics.

The debate has already begun.

I'm not one to post on boards, being that I tend to be a little long winded, but you are welcome to visit www.PopCultureCertfied, and let me know what you think.

Thanks again for your interest!

-Joe

Whoa, I didn't realize you were actually sealing (slabbing?) comics inside of something. I'll have to go read your site more thoroughly.

I'm not one to post on boards, being that I tend to be a little long winded
You say that like it's a BAD thing!! confused.gifconfused.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif Most of us here can get long-winded and esoteric at times; if we wanted shallow chit-chat, we'd go to the E-Bay comic forums to read the "what does 'VF' mean?" posts. smirk.gif

Yeah.....from what I could gather.....it looks like they seal the books in a Mylar with a tamper resistant sticker/stamp of some sort. Might prove to be a simple but effective design which allows the owner easier access to the book.

What are you talking about with the graded comics on HSN? I just checked their web site and saw only unslabbed comics. Was the one you saw in a holder of some type?

From what I've heard about the type of grading done on the sports cards shows, I'm looking for a comic armageddon to occur if they start doing that to comics. shocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifshocked.gifmad.gifmad.gif