• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Starting Over From Scratch (Basically) posted by PowderedH2O

13 posts in this topic

Nowhere to go but up...

As I have mentioned in previous journals, I collected comics pretty hard from my early childhood (started at age 6 in 1972) until the early 1990's. I purchased the odd back issue off and on until 2001 when I decided it was time to sell my collection since I hadn't really done much with it for years. It wasn't big by the standards of most of you. It was probably 1,500-2,000 comics. It was a lot of stuff from the 70's and 80's, with maybe 10% from the 60's. I didn't have any of the big keys from the Silver Age, but I did have some nice runs of Bronze Age stuff and a handful of Golden Age DC's that probably weren't worth much.

I've started a small collection a couple of times since then, but I've put in a hundred bucks or so, then got distracted and sold the comics. In 2011, I really wanted to dive back in. I actually bought some nice graded GA books, and I bought a few Silver Age goodies too, but money was tight and I ended up selling all of those too.

Here we are in 2014, and things have settled down. I got married last June. I have a decent house and a decent job. I'm a school teacher (and so is my wife). I can't afford to chase the big comics, but I would like to go after the stuff that I really enjoyed as a kid and as a teen. That would be the 60's and 70's. So, I made a list of the titles that interested me. I decided that I would try to collect those titles through December 1979. And I wouldn't go back any further than January 1960. I won't chase any titles that don't interest me.

So where do I start? Well, I figure that buying in bulk might be the way to go. So, I recently bought some lots of Challengers of the Unknown, Sub-Mariner, and Marvel Triple Action (Ooooh, big spender). I also bought a handful of early 70's Batmans that I remembered particularly well. One of them (#241) was the first comic that I ever bought. So, now I will have it again.

I did make a couple of bigger purchases. I LOVE the early Fantastic Fours. So, I decided that I would work on the Kirby FF's in graded form. I bought FF #1 off of the boards, and I've picked up several more over the last few weeks. I have a LONG way to go there. I may pick up other graded books here and there if they work within my budget. We'll see. I have five slabs that are not FF's currently.

So, I think I will use this journal as a way of keeping track of my collection and my purchases and watching it grow. I warn you -I am not a Mint Freak. I am perfectly satisfied with Vg-F books. So, I might post a picture or two of books that you might consider uncollectible. But for me, they are still beautiful. And, since I am re-starting from scratch, I am going to be bouncing all over the place trying to fill giant holes in my collection. But, I will be having a GREAT time doing it!!!

See more journals by PowderedH2O

I like this post

2 school teacher salaries and you're picking up FF# 1's? thuggin. Good for you.

This is the type of post I love reading. Near Mint (9.8's) are only necessary for me books that have a readily supply. I have been trying to piece together a few key issues that are graded by CGC in a .5, I have a few FF's like this and the first appearance of Thanos and the Mandarin also the lowest of the low. If I ever am lucky enough to get anFF #1, I suspect another .5 in my future. I found an X-Men in that grade and might have haggles with the owner if it wasn't for my plans for this month. May your journey be bountiful with exuberant delight as you journey down this path.

Good luck!

Tnerb

I like this post

2 school teacher salaries and you're picking up FF# 1's? thuggin. Good for you.

Well, I had to make some sales of some sports collectibles to make that happen. I don't anticipate another purchase of that size anytime soon. :/

I too like this journal.

Just because some of us on here, myself included are 9.8 junkies, it doesn't mean I can't appreciate issues of lower grade, especially when you start talking about early bronze and Silver and Golden Age.

Having any copy of FF #1 is an achievement. But many others can be the same way as well.

Congrats on your "Fantastic" start to collecting again.

Keep us updated on what you acquire!

:)

Love your journey sounds like many of us on the boards.I started many years ago and have owned all the keys,with the exception of FF1 so you are one up on me.My main interest now is goldenage classic covers and what ever eye candy i like.Nice to have many on the long journey,having parted with early collections and trying to make up time.Nice to hear the stories out there!

Great Journal!

Fantastic Four 1 is one of my Big Holy Grails (I believe it's okay to say there are Small, Medium and Big Holy Grails).

I have preferences for high grades, not necessarily 9.8, but 9.0 and above, but I also think its cool to accept the condition of any comic and see its beauty. Comics in lower grades tell me someone read the comic dozens of time. And that what a comic is meant for... to be read and appreciated.

Thanks for sharing your collecting journey... hopefully we'll get treated to another real soon. And please share pics of what you have.

SW3D

Congratulations on the FF1... such an outstanding book!

I had to go and look up your copy as well and it certainly does have a lot of eye appeal and very nice PQ!

I just have a hunch that you're going to enjoy collecting even more this time around! :)

I also sold off a couple of collections early in life but have now manage to hold onto everything for a while. For about the last 10 years I've been collecting almost fanatically coinciding with getting older and having a little more cash for hobbies. My collection is now up to almost 50000 comics and the last 2-3 years I've gotten more into cgc books. If you're okay with vg fn then your collection will grow fast for not much money. If you haven't already started, go to cons and dive into alpha numeric dollar boxes. Lots of great silver bronze moderns there.

That's probably what will happen. I'm going to focus on picking up larger quantities of comics (with the occasional splurge) and then work on the more expensive ones later. Unless of course something occurs to throw me off...lol