• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Church Jungles Are Running Up

32 posts in this topic

How high will the Jungle's go? The #1 is over $30k now and we are still a week out from the hammer. There is a 7.0 #1 on the Metropolis site that presents beautifully for a fraction of the price. Why isn't it flying out the door? Maybe it will after this ... but I am reminded Jungle's are not at the top of most buyers want list. Jungles and Jungle 1 may not be in high demand, but the Edgar Church Copies certainly are!

Seeing all of these Jungle's is a sight to behold and I'd like to buy one, but I keep reminding myself at the end of the day Edgar Church or not ... they will still be Jungle Comics :D

How high will the Jungle's go? The #1 is over $30k now and we are still a week out from the hammer. There is a 7.0 #1 on the Metropolis site that presents beautifully for a fraction of the price. Why isn't it flying out the door? Maybe it will after this ... but I am reminded Jungle's are not at the top of most buyers want list. Jungles and Jungle 1 may not be in high demand, but the Edgar Church Copies certainly are!

Seeing all of these Jungle's is a sight to behold and I'd like to buy one, but I keep reminding myself at the end of the day Edgar Church or not ... they will still be Jungle Comics :D

Jungle is my least favorite of the major FH runs, and not just because most of the covers feature a half-naked man. As an animal lover, I generally dislike comic covers that depict animals being killed, and a lot of the Jungle covers show Kaänga with a knife or spear pointed at an animal. (I don't know, but I assume animal deaths are common within the pages.) I was hoping the run would do poorly for that reason, but I guess not all collectors share my political sensibilities.

Jungle is my least favorite of the major FH runs, and not just because most of the covers feature a half-naked man. As an animal lover, I generally dislike comic covers that depict animals being killed, and a lot of the Jungle covers show Kaänga with a knife or spear pointed at an animal. (I don't know, but I assume animal deaths are common within the pages.) I was hoping the run would do poorly for that reason, but I guess not all collectors share my political sensibilities.

I'm an animal lover too, but don't most of these Jungle books show the human's defending themselves from being attacked? I know if a lion was about to pounce on me and I had a spear in my hand, you can be sure it would not be pointed at the ground. Now, if these books showed puppies getting their eyes cut out or something like that, then hell ya, I'm with you on that one!

I'm a cat lover. I hate those mean Mighty Mouse comics. Can't stand how cruelly Mighty Mouse treats those cats.

I was just wondering what "church jungles" may have been (in english), but the only thing Google came up with were "jungle churches"… hm

EH9999_Church-In-A-Jungle.jpg

Assuming you aren't joking .... Church Jungles = copies of Jungle Comics originally owned by Edgar Church.

That jungle looks like Southern California (which can be wild ....)

I'm a cat lover. I hate those mean Mighty Mouse comics. Can't stand how cruelly Mighty Mouse treats those cats.

I'm with you, my favorite Tom and Jerry cartoons are the ones where Tom gets the better of Jerry. And don't even get me started with Sylvester and Tweety! :grin:

It's Jungle Comics OK? I was a little surprised to see the Jungle 1 go over 30K... Now I'm very surprised to see the Jungle 11 pushing 5k ... Don't get me wrong - Jungle 11 looks cool and I like dinosaurs ... but personally ... I don't like them anywhere near as much as I like the nice copies of Catman 13 and Human Torch 12 in this same auction.

Blow me over with a feather that both of these books are lagging Planet 11 in price ... to be accurate the bid action is tit for tat between the Cat and the Jungle ... but the Jungle is significantly ahead of the Torch in price and bid action.

My surprise comes from the thought ... that if you gave a thousand comic collectors $5K or more to buy any book they wanted....I can't imagine that Jungle 11 would be at the top of anybody's want list ... In fact today here on the boards at this current price action ... the Marvel Mystery 13 in 6.5 with off white pages was an infinitely better buy in my opinion ... It's almost show time ... :popcorn:

It's Jungle Comics OK? I was a little surprised to see the Jungle 1 go over 30K... Now I'm very surprised to see the Jungle 11 pushing 5k ... Don't get me wrong - Jungle 11 looks cool and I like dinosaurs ... but personally ... I don't like them anywhere near as much as I like the nice copies of Catman 13 and Human Torch 12 in this same auction.

Blow me over with a feather that both of these books are lagging Planet 11 in price ... to be accurate the bid action is tit for tat between the Cat and the Jungle ... but the Jungle is significantly ahead of the Torch in price and bid action.

My surprise comes from the thought ... that if you gave a thousand comic collectors $5K or more to buy any book they wanted....I can't imagine that Jungle 11 would be at the top of anybody's want list ... In fact today here on the boards at this current price action ... the Marvel Mystery 13 in 6.5 with off white pages was an infinitely better buy in my opinion ... It's almost show time ... :popcorn:

I hear you on the insanity of the high prices, but Church books have been doing extraordinarily well on CConnect for the past few auctions. I'm sure Fishler knows the party isn't going to last forever & figured he'd sell high. (I won't be surprised if he buys them all back in a few years for half of what they sell for this week!)

OK ... what a night ... :P None of the jungles went for ten cents and that's for sure. Now that it's over here's some of what I liked and didn't like in the run. If I don't comment on a book then I find it unremarkable and have no real interest in it or just plain don't like it for one reason or another.

I'm going to buy a church copy ... surely one will fall to me ... Surely something will be under 2K ... Goal buy a book within the the first 50 .... but not just any book I have to like it so here we go what I pondered.

1 - liked the red eyes on the lion and the touch of purple on the ladies undergarment and weird it appears the shooter is going to kill Kaanga, Cost way to much ... I'd rather have several of the others than just this one. Although this is one of the better covers.

5 - cool not killing any animals just beating up a gorilla - a skull bad guy cool. My favorite in the first ten. Liek the blue logo top ... the red in the logo is fairly strong. Book goes way high ... what over 10k I'm out.

6 - the artwork is muddy or something Kaanga stands out, but you have to look close to see what else is going on .... although it is interesting to note - the native men are totally naked and the woman is clothed - don't really like the cover. Sort of like the black and white logo back ground ... maybe it will go cheap ... but it doesn't.

7- the back cover of this book had problems ... graded high for a 9.2...don't like how Kaanga is drawn...prettiest lady since 1 ... guess I could settle for this one, not a favorite, ut damsal in distress ... price explodes forget that one.

8- love it and hate it ... like the same logo blue as 5 and the ferocious lion attacking, but the one Kaanga is standing on looks emaciated ... he killed a starving lion. If it goes on the cheap side mean 2 or 3 times guide maybe ... nope

9- the elephants eyes look whacked out and the elephant tusks are drawn in such a way that if you look at them at the right angle it looks like they are curving down instead of up ... of course look at them from another angle and they are curving up ... anyway i did like him saving the lady ... damsal in distress covers are some of my favorites ... some refer to beauty and the beast covers on the planets ... i like the sub genre of damsals in distress, and this one is decent, but not the best. I guess I could settle ... what now it's 5k forget that.

11-Really love this cover and the color scheme and the dinosaurs ... could this be the first dinosaurs on a comic cover? Went for just too much money for me ... so many other books I could buy ... but it is still a very pretty book. No damsal in distress here ... and she's far in the distance ... hence I prefer the 21, but this is still a cool book. I would have paid 3 or 4 grand :tonofbricks: I was no where close. 5 times guide maybe .... 10 times no way ...

14. It's rare ... people like it ... pondered bidding as it is a stand out and then I looked at it and realized I don't like slobbering gorillas and looking into his nose holes ... and the lady is not dominant although she is a damsal in distress. Ultimately I don't like this cover. Went for a little less as the grade was what an 8.5? But I just don't like the book. I do want to buy a book, but I have to like it. Price alone won't do it.

15. Really don't like the zebra man, somebody else must like it because they sure paid a lot more than I would for it.

16. Don't like the angry wooly mammoth cover either ... looks weird. 2nd Dinosaur cover ... kinda stinky in my opinion ... not even bothering to bid ... and it goes ridiculously high as well.

17. Dinosaur cover 3 - don't like it is as much as the 11, but maybe I could buy it as sort of a consolation prize ... nope their it goes good by now I'm thinking well maybe I'll pay 2 or 3 k for one ... but it goes to high for my now higher bid limit.

18. I like this cover ... as the lady is appealingly drawn ... so many of the ladies on these books look angry or drawn lacking detail ... but don't like the leopard going to get it ... oh I'm going for this one .... 3 k should do it ... no no it won't... doesn't matter my favorite covers are still to come.

21. :cloud9: My second favorite cover ... only thing is I'm not crazy about the yellow logo and if the title is supposed to be red this one doesn't have the best color, but my boy is with me and agrees the alligator dinosaur is crazy and this is his favorite cover ... we love his eyes and fangs and his tail ... and the lady is definitely a damsal in distress I'm going to bid strong ... OK 4 grand ... what ... OK 5k ... what ?? still higher I think it went for 5600 ... I put in a bid for 5800 or an amount 200 higher than the winning bid .. with what I thought was time left but it popped up and said bid was in too late? What? I kept refreshing and it said there was like 15 seconds left ... but then it popped up ... too late item sold or whatever ... oh well ... it's probably for the best anyway ... I didn't really want to spend that much. I think these are great books, but it's auction fever ...the prices are overly heated :D Must stop bidding .... rather have a Timely or something ... still a cool book.

I wonder is it just one bidder going for them all ... I haven't seen anybody on the boards post any wins ... was thinking the collection might get spread around some, but it may be kept intact ... waiting to see if anybody shows off their wins.

Now I'm re-gathering my resolve to not over-bid my original 2k price especially as we are moving later in the run ...

23 - I do like this cover ... one of the rare times the lion gets a good lick in on Kaanga ... Notice the claws tearing open his chest ... Kaanga heals fast as his chest looks fine on the front of issue 24 :)

Several books from here to 25 have some appeal to me 28, 31, 36, 37, 41 ... but they all go for thousands and I've given up ... and then the deal pops up ... at least by price relative to the others.

46 :cloud9: This is my favorite cover in the run. This is the predecessor to the complimentary 85 - Well, iIt's not a CGC 9 plus, The book is slightly mis-cut, but it's not distracting and it's a mile high and it's so fresh ... regardless of grade, but they book and not the label. It presents well. I looked at the Rockford copy which is 9.2 on the pedigree site, and this copy is brighter with much better color. I like this ferocious gorilla far more than the drooling thing on the 14. And compared to the Rockford copy ... the gorillas fingers are not cut off ... This gorilla is drawn really well ... he's not a drooling insufficiently_thoughtful_person - but a ferocious beast ... This is also one of the prettiest ladies in the run in my opinion ... a real damsal in distress 2c ... Kaanga is drawn well ... I just think it is the best Jungle cover. And it turns out to be a book that finally went for under 2k... How come? Surely the 8.5 grade and not being the hightest graded copy held back the bidding, but considering how nuts many of the other books went this book went for somewhat less ... not sure what the final price was, but it was close to 2k ... To me this is just so well .... for lack of a better word ... JUNGLE

My favorite covers in order under 100 without regard to Gerber rarity or pricing are the ... 46, 21, 11, 85, and 5

I wrote this just because I was hoping for a little more chatter tonight ... and since there weren't any ... I figured it was time for me to contribute some food for thought. Hopefully you'll have fun reading this.

Some of the most painful memories for a long time collector are created when a group of amazing books appear at the same time as a competitor who is willing to pay absurd prices for them. I've had it happen to me, have seen it happen to others, and have a lot of sympathy with anyone who was disappointed yesterday.