• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Great art to benefit Stan Sakai. Hughes, Steranko, Simonson, Adams...

30 posts in this topic

In the case that someone missed the CAF weekly Update...

Auctions are already active!

Dear Comic Art Fan,

Starting today the Comic Art Professional Society (CAPS) will launch an ongoing series of eBay auctions of original comic art. Its goal is to raise funds for medical care for Sharon Sakai, the wife of respected cartoonist and longtime CAPS member Stan Sakai, creator of the samurai rabbit USAGI YOJIMBO. Sharon has been battling a debilitating brain tumor for some time; after an extended hospital stay and convalescence, she is currently at home, but her condition requires 24-hour care and medicine that costs more than the Sakai's insurance covers. 100% of the proceeds of these auctions will go directly to Stan and Sharon Sakai to help pay their ongoing medical expenses.

Contributors include: Adam Hughes, Alex Maleev, Arthur Adams, Batton Lash, Eric Powell, Jan Duursema, Jerry Ordway, Jordi Bernet, Matt Groening, Michael Allred, Mike Mignola, Paul Gulacy, Sanjuliàn, Scott Shaw!, Jim Steranko, Tim Sale, William Stout, Bill Sienkiewicz, Cameron Stewart, Dan Brereton, Daniel Parsons, Dave Gibbons, Dean Yeagle, Doug Sneyd, Dustin Nguyen, Bill Morrison, Tone Rodriguez, Sergio Aragonés, Fabio Moon, Francisco Francavilla, Gene Ha, Geof Darrow, Gilbert Hernandez, Jack Davis, James O'Barr, Kevin Eastman, Jeff Lemire, Jeff Smith, Kazu Kibuishi, Liam Sharp, Tom Richmond, Michael Jantze, Olivia, Oscar Martin, Paul Chadwick, Richard Corben, Tom Mandrake, Walter Simonson, Charles Vess, Dan Spiegle, J. Scott Campbell, and many more.

Many of the pieces featuring Usagi Yojimbo will appear in a new oversized hardcover book from Dark Horse, THE SAKAI PROJECT: ARTISTS CELEBRATE THIRTY YEARS OF USAGI YOJIMBO, which will be released on July 23, 2014. All proceeds from this book will go to Stan and Sharon Sakai. Much of the custom Usagi Yojimbo art created for this book will also be sold as a part of CAPS' online auctions. The CAPS ebay page can be found at the link...

http://www.ebay.com/usr/capsauction

See you next week!

9 x 12 fully inked piece at $1900 with over eight and a half days to go. I don't know much about the OA market but this looks crazy to me. It has been a while since I've seen a professional Jeff Smith piece up for auction so that may have something to do with it.

Definitely great for Stan and his cause though... :)

Back in June 2011 this piece by Jeff sold for $7500. I watched as the auction ended so I would know what it sold for. It was another charity piece which probably accounted for some of the price. Jeff's art just never comes to market though. Most of the time you just see quick sketches so when finished pieces like the Usagi piece comes to market you know you will have to pay dearly if you want it for your collection. I'm just glad I already have a great piece by Jeff. :)

Not sure what's causing this, but ebay blocks me out of the CAPS auctions every time I try to access a piece-- ( doesn't even show me the pieces if I do a search ). All I get is the same instant message that "due to legal restrictions they're blocking it from viewing" and then I get redirected as if the auctions no longer existed.

It's been happening more and more with ebay lately, and in this case, it's getting very frustrating since I would very much like to bid on some of the upcoming CAPS auctions for the Sakai.

I'm currently in Europe, but it's not even an IP problem 'cause when I tried accessing the auctions using a friend's computer ( without logging in ) they all displayed perfectly on ebay.

Any chance CAPS' settings could be blocking foreign buyers who use a paypal account registered outside of the US? ( the problem wouldn't be related to shipping either since I use a US address for that ). Thanks if anyone has a clue.

Regarding the Jeff Smith piece, it's also the highlight of the first batch for me ( though it's already beyond by means ).

As everyone else pointed out he only does a few pieces here and there for various charities so that explains the high price tag. Your best bet probably remains the CBLDF (where he's now a board member ). He sometimes offers pieces through them, and did a really cool piece for them back in November at the Brooklyn comic con:

http://www.boneville.com/bleeding-cool-spotlights-jeffs-appearance-comic-arts-brooklyn/

CAPS said on their facebook page they are discussing with ebay in order to remove these limitations.

I had this problem a lot with ebay these last months, and it is really annoying.

After looking on internet, i found a solution though: ebay use your browser language to determine where you live. So for example, if in your browser preferences, the first language is french, ebay just assumes you live in France (it's a pretty stupid way of doing things, if you ask me.)

In order to avoid the message, you should put english as the first language for pages content in your browser preferences.

I hope it will help you.

I am waiting on the Paul Smith Kitty and Colossus, it is stunning. The past Paul Smith I bought was at a charity auction as well, so maybe it will happen again!

CAPS said on their facebook page they are discussing with ebay in order to remove these limitations.

I had this problem a lot with ebay these last months, and it is really annoying.

After looking on internet, i found a solution though: ebay use your browser language to determine where you live. So for example, if in your browser preferences, the first language is french, ebay just assumes you live in France (it's a pretty stupid way of doing things, if you ask me.)

In order to avoid the message, you should put english as the first language for pages content in your browser preferences.

I hope it will help you.

Many thanks, I really appreciate the tip. English isn't my first langage and my computer was purchased in Europe (not UK) so that should explain it.

As you said it's a pretty stupid/non efficient way of screening potential buyers... Not even taking into account European buyers like us, there are so many people whose 1st language isn't English who live in the US.

Hope Caps gets this fixed. I'm sure the Sakai family could use the extra potential bidders.

Thanks again!

Back in June 2011 this piece by Jeff sold for $7500. I watched as the auction ended so I would know what it sold for. It was another charity piece which probably accounted for some of the price. Jeff's art just never comes to market though. Most of the time you just see quick sketches so when finished pieces like the Usagi piece comes to market you know you will have to pay dearly if you want it for your collection. I'm just glad I already have a great piece by Jeff. :)

Same size too but the 2011 piece was much more detailed. I definitely won't be a bidder at the $5k+ level :(

Should be interesting though.

Same size too but the 2011 piece was much more detailed. I definitely won't be a bidder at the $5k+ level :(

Should be interesting though.

Yeah I just thought I would throw it up since it is one of the few pieces in recent years to show up. It will definitely be interesting to see what it goes for. Does anyone know what that Fone Bone and Kingdok piece sold for during the CBLDF auction at Comic Arts Brooklyn? All I have found is it sold for over $1000 but that doesn't really tell much. :)

All bids cancelled for the Jeff Smith piece. Wonder what happened... (shrug)

Looks like all the auctions are actually being removed. Maybe they realized too many potential bidders were being shut out by ebay, and they have no choice but relist in order to change the settings? ( pure speculation though ).

Looks like ebay made them cancel all of the listings because of a paragraph telling which artists were going to be having pieces sold during the future listings. That really bites they made them do that. Ebay and their stupid rules. I hope they can get them back up to the prices they were bringing.

Here is a paragraph they added to one of the new listings.

SPECIAL NOTE: We extend our sincere apologies for needing to re-list this item. We were not aware that eBay does not allow sellers to list the names of artists whose work will be sold in their future auctions. Since eBay does not allow one to edit the description of an item, we had to completely start our listings over from scratch in order to remove the offending paragraphs. We are sorry for the interruption in your bidding, and hope you will rejoin us in helping the Sakais now that we have made the required adjustments. Let the auctions continue!!!

Thanks for the information, lurker. I really appreciate. I like to keep track of the prices but couldn't find the realized price anywhere. :)

Thanks for the information, lurker. I really appreciate. I like to keep track of the prices but couldn't find the realized price anywhere. :)

You're welcome.

I'm fairly sure the price tag would have been much higher had the auction taken place at the NYCC, at the CBLDF San Diego auction, or on ebay.

Regarding CAPS having to relist everything just because they named artists for their upcoming auctions: just one more reason to bash Ebay...