• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sal Buscema - Joe Staton Art

24 posts in this topic

Along with Byrne, Adams and maybe Perez, some of my favorite BA art was done by the team of Sal Buscema and Joe Staton.

I'm not a huge fan of either guy alone, but together they did some very nice work in The Avengers in the 120's and 130's and Hulk in the 190's and 200's, but did they team up for anything else?

Those are some nice panels. Sal's and Staton's styles seem to work well together.

Never been much of a Staton fan, but Sal is one of my guilty pleasures. It's also hard to avoid Sal in the 70s (and 80s). He did an incredible amount of work

Those are some nice panels. Sal's and Staton's styles seem to work well together.

The Hulk stuff was pretty good too, especially those Collector issues and the two-issue brawl with the Abomination.

I have to agree here. The Buscema/Staton combo was the bomb in the day. I have pages from Hulk 196 and 202 from them and they are some of the Crown Jewels in my collection.

145495.jpg

ahhhh the infamous humanoids blasted backwards with mouths shocked open and at least one hand's fingers are un-naturally sprung out in one panel.

Love him or hate him, Sal's style screams action.

And that's exactly why I love Sal's work. It was perfect for capturing the drama and action in comics.

His artwork may not have been as beautiful as John's but man, he knew how to draw a battle sequence.

His artwork may not have been as beautiful as John's but man, he knew how to draw a battle sequence.

I really never got the big deal about John Buscema, especially in the BA. Sure, his SA stuff was good, and I enjoyed it in the MTA reprints, but his BA Thor looked stilted and the Tarzan work wasn't that good. I actually liked his CA Avengers run better than much of his BA stuff.

Sal was certainly the unsung brother of the two, and I think John Buscema was a tad overrated myself.

I was fine with John's BA stuff for the most part, but John was a far more complete artist, while Sal seemed tailor made for comics. They both had that knack for conveying a powerful moment of action.

As for John's CA run on Avengers...it was...okay. Definitely better than some of the stuff that was being put out at the time and miles above some of the subsequent artists the Avengers endured in the waning years of volume one.

I really never got the big deal about John Buscema, especially in the BA. Sure, his SA stuff was good, and I enjoyed it in the MTA reprints, but his BA Thor looked stilted and the Tarzan work wasn't that good. I actually liked his CA Avengers run better than much of his BA stuff.

Sal was certainly the unsung brother of the two, and I think John Buscema was a tad overrated myself.

There is no denying the fact that you are very knowledgeable about your comic, and I find myself agreeing with almost everything you say, but this statement is blasphemous. :sumo:

When I say that, I am referring exclusively to his BA output, which was not on par with his SA work, and that I do like a lot.

Some of that Thor and Tarzan stuff was phoned in.

I really never got the big deal about John Buscema, especially in the BA. Sure, his SA stuff was good.

:gossip: I hardly think John was overrated. Check out John's work on Ka-Zar (and the cover) in Savage Tales #1. One of my all-time favorite mags. :)

When I say that, I am referring exclusively to his BA output, which was not on par with his SA work, and that I do like a lot.

No disagreement here, but what comic artist hasn't done this? Deadlines, baby, deadlines. Not to mention low pay and no credit.

No disagreement here, but what comic artist hasn't done this? Deadlines, baby, deadlines. Not to mention low pay and no credit.

yeah you get a bit later in the game and you decide that you actually do want a life,...

go figure.

There aren't that many that stay in the form that they were in. It happens to the best.

lol The only time I didn't like JB's work is when Chic Stone inked him, there was a FF in the 120's (not sure of the exact one off hand) it was horrible. :sick: